Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

So I lied...lol

Post by Thefatkitty »

Last night I made this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&p=19784#p19784

I was pretty sure that was the end of my four day run for ol' Luna.

Well. I sat outside with my C80-HD and the "daughter unit" from 10PM - 2AM. We listened to some Linkin Park and shot the breeze. The things she tells Dad I know she won't tell Mum.... :lol:

High thins all day. You know the ones I mean; they coalesce around the Moon like it's a warm blanket. But, there are times when they clear and it's like they were never there. Then, turn around, and back they come!

I took 36 shots at about 1:40AM. I did take more before and after, but these were the best.
Moon_Aug_12_2019.png

So here we are on day 5.....
Moon_Aug_08-12_2019.png

You know I'm gonna run out...;)

It's now 2:30Am; Sarah just said "Goodnight, male parental unit".
She ain't kidding!

All the best and clear skies,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: So I lied...lol

Post by Juno16 »

Keep it up Mark!

Great looking lunar series!

Of course, it’s up to a higher power as far as the clouds go. Your recent capture string is impressive enough!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Very nice Mark! Great that you have that special time with your daughter!; :clap:
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great images, Mark...quality time with the daughter even better!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Very nice set Mark.
I have always wanted to capture a complete lunar cycle.
5 days is a very nice run.

I wonder if all of us who shoot the moon could put our efforts together over a period of time in one big thread separated by each day of the moon cycle where anyone who captures that day post their image and then when we're all done, when we capture all cycle days, we put together a beautiful moon calendar.

Your images here are wonderful, Mark.
Thank you.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Pretty darn impressive Mark, thanks for sharing the sequence.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sounds like a great evening Mark! How is the weather for the rest of the week? :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:58 am Keep it up Mark!

Great looking lunar series!

Of course, it’s up to a higher power as far as the clouds go. Your recent capture string is impressive enough!

Thanks,
Jim
Thanks Jim! Yeah, it's fun to try for. Not much else lately; as others here have mentioned, no clouds seems to equal a full Moon.
Bit tired today, but after seeing this and checking the Moon location in Stellarium... We'll see ;)
Image3.png

10538 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:02 am Very nice Mark! Great that you have that special time with your daughter!; :clap:
Unitron48 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:20 am Great images, Mark...quality time with the daughter even better!!

Dave
Thanks Ed and Dave, and yes, I take it where I can. She has my sense of humor and outlook on things as well; which can be fun for Mum.... :lol: She's come with me to work on more than one occasion also. As she gets older I figure this will happen less and less, so live for the moment! :D

Don Quixote wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 pm Very nice set Mark.
I have always wanted to capture a complete lunar cycle.
5 days is a very nice run.

I wonder if all of us who shoot the moon could put our efforts together over a period of time in one big thread separated by each day of the moon cycle where anyone who captures that day post their image and then when we're all done, when we capture all cycle days, we put together a beautiful moon calendar.

Your images here are wonderful, Mark.
Thank you.
Thank you, Mark! :D Actually, that's a great idea. I would be into that; I'll bet Bryan would join in as well, not to mention several others. I'm imagining it would take about a year, really, as the Moon is not only up at night at the different phases...
The most consecutive for me has been 8 days; the entire cycle would be neat!

helicon wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:14 pm Pretty darn impressive Mark, thanks for sharing the sequence.
Thanks Michael, though I can't guarantee this is the end... We'll see if my eyes stay open and the forecast is right for tonight :D

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:46 pm Sounds like a great evening Mark! How is the weather for the rest of the week? :)
Thanks Andrew, and yes it was. The daughter time was the best part. Though as a parent it's hard to watch them get older....:sigh: As for the rest of the week, tonight maybe, tomorrow, depends how tired I am...:lol:

Have a great night everyone!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Nice, Mark!

I’ve still got two more days of lunar to post. Grabbed more last night. Clear again tonight as long as I don’t point south.

No lunar tonight though. I got a new narrowband filter in on Monday after a few weeks of backorder. I’ve got the SV sitting on IC 1396 grabbing 2-minute exposures for a couple of hours.

I could trot out the ST80 on the EXOS-2, but I’ve only got one laptop and it’s occupied with the SV. New laptop will be here on Thursday though. :lol:

BTW, my son calls his mom “spawn point”. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

bladekeeper wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:56 am Nice, Mark!

I’ve still got two more days of lunar to post. Grabbed more last night. Clear again tonight as long as I don’t point south.

No lunar tonight though. I got a new narrowband filter in on Monday after a few weeks of backorder. I’ve got the SV sitting on IC 1396 grabbing 2-minute exposures for a couple of hours.

I could trot out the ST80 on the EXOS-2, but I’ve only got one laptop and it’s occupied with the SV. New laptop will be here on Thursday though. :lol:

BTW, my son calls his mom “spawn point”. :lol:
Thanks Bryan! You sound busy! Another laptop? Man, your backyard is gonna start looking like something out of Contact :lol:
Hope you get some good data from the trunk of the pachyderm...

I told Sarah what your son calls his mom; I'm still laughing at that. I did inform the dear girl that she might not want to go there with her mom, who sometimes does not share our sense of humor :lol:

Thanks for the laugh and all the best,
Mark

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Hi Mark,

Nice sequence of moonshots! Cool that your daughter is a willing participant. I can sometimes get my kids to come along if I bring pizza. :lol:
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.