Focuser types

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Focuser types

Post by Marcelo F. »

Are there advantages and disadvantages between different types of focusers?
Or is a Crayford type focuser superior to a Hexafoc (helical rack) type focuser in all respects?
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
PeterD Slovakia
Earth Ambassador

Re: Focuser types

Post by PeterD »

Hexafoc is Bresser's name for their version of a rack and pinion focuser with a hexagonal draw tube. IMHO there is nothing helical about it. I have got it on one of my refractor and I must say it is a pleasant focuser to use. Rock solid, smooth and nice looking. Can be fitted with 1:10 reducer.
I have no personal experience with Crayford but I understand it uses friction between a roller and a draw tube instead of rack/pinion action. Supposed to be smoother.
Peter
Handful of refractors, a pair of old binoculars, tin box full of plossls and orthos, couple of EQ mounts with some wooden legs
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Both styles of focuser work well.
Like everything in this hobby there is low and high quality.
I would not say a crayford is superior to a R&P though I have yet to find anything to beat a Feathertouch crayford.
Depending on what your plans are, either may work well for you.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Most of my scopes came with 2-inch crayford focusers. These worked well until I started to do astrophotography, and began using an electronic focus motor, then they started to slip because of the weight of the cameras. I attempted to adjust them and could never find the right "spot" to make them work properly. So I switched over to rack and pinion focusers and I've been very happy with them.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

While I don't do AP my experience with visual observing mirrors Gordon's. I prefer rack and pinion over Crayford focusers, because crayfords tend to slip under load. It does not take that much: 2" diagonal + glass grenade or filter wheel and wide field EP.

Linear Bearing Crayford Focusers handles load a bit better, but I have to keep playing with tension all the time: too little and draw tube slips under the weight and too much focuser wheel slips and you can't focus. :lol:

Rack and pinion - you set the tension once and forget.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I agree with the opinions already stated but I would express it a little differently.....

Neither cheap poorly made "Rack and Pinion Focusers" nor cheap "Crayford Focusers" work very well for astrophotography.
They can also be very frustrating and less than ideal for visual observing.

I have a low profile Feathertouch Crayford on my 18 inch dob and it works beautifully at both low and high magnifications.

My Vixen VC200L has an excellent quality rack and pinion focuser. The last prime focus image I took had maintained the camera focus from the previous image some weeks earlier even though I had removed and reattached the camera. I didn't need to refocus.

My ED80 refractor came with a cheap and nasty Skywatcher single speed Crayford. It really limited the telescopes visual and photographic performance. The ED80 only cost me about USD300 in 2004. Eventually I relented and purchased a middle of the road GSO crayford 2 speed focuser. It is nowhere near as good as the two high end focusers described above but it does the job.

A good focuser is a worthwhile investment but if you have a cheap scope, you can easily spend much more on a good focuser than the scope. Some premium focusers can be adapted to all types of scope simply by buying a different focuser base. So you should keep the original focuser from your scope, if you decide to sell the scope, refit the original focuser before selling and fit the good focuser to your next scope. You won't recoup the cost of a good focuser fitted to a cheaper scope.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

As mentioned it all comes down to money , but as I am not a big fan of the 'toothless wonder , crayford ' only had one good one a WO on my ex WO ED 80 , but here one can get a good rack and pinion for the price of a low quality Crayford
As Joe mentioned any substantial improvements , like finder, focuser and of course eyepieces , always keep the original when one sells the scope and if you are leaving the hobby then sell them separately
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador

Post by Marcelo F. »

Thank you all for your opinion and description of your personal experiences with each one.
I just now noticed that the images are not showing up.
Here they are:

The second image explains what they mean by "helical rack" , for anyone who is used to working with motion transmissions knows that the inclination of the teeth decreases the contact area and in turn makes the movement smoother.
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Marcelo F. wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:23 pm Thank you all for your opinion and description of your personal experiences with each one.
I just now noticed that the images are not showing up.
Here they are:

The second image explains what they mean by "helical rack" , for anyone who is used to working with motion transmissions knows that the inclination of the teeth decreases the contact area and in turn makes the movement smoother.
This is my favorite type. As smooth as crayford but without slippage.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Yes the hexfocuser does do a fine job, I have one on my Bresser 102mm f/13 and after some initial tweaking it works very well.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
PeterD Slovakia
Earth Ambassador

Post by PeterD »

Marcelo F. wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:23 pm The second image explains what they mean by "helical rack" , for anyone who is used to working with motion transmissions knows that the inclination of the teeth decreases the contact area and in turn makes the movement smoother.
Marcelo, my bad. I have never noticed the teeth are angled. I checked my refractor this morning and they are angled indeed. :shock:

One drawback with hexafoc: The drawtube extends by 45mm only. If one needs more a spacer ring has to be fitted.
Peter
Handful of refractors, a pair of old binoculars, tin box full of plossls and orthos, couple of EQ mounts with some wooden legs