Thinking about getting a Cheap IR web cam...

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Thinking about getting a Cheap IR web cam...

Post by UlteriorModem »

I am thinking about getting a cheap Web Camera to monitor my scopes position and movements remotely.

One thing I wondered about is if I get one with infra red 'night vision' capability could the IR possibly interfere with the imaging?

Also if you have any recommendations as to a decent cam, less than 30 bucks, please point me the way :)
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Thinking about getting a Cheap IR web cam...

Post by SkyHiker »

I have a YI night vision webcam that works very well. I think it's this kind, not a 4 pack:

PS: I watch it from my Droid, I don't know if Windows is supported, probably but better check.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

That looks linteresting but the 4 pack price kind of blows my budget. Although the 'indoor' rating is a bit concerning. I can see it being out in a Dewey night.

This looks interesting.

Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Here is another of interest. This one IP66 rated albeit more expensive.

Tom

Current Equipment:
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Here's a single one for 25 bucks

There must be many that will work but my experience with it is great and I like using it with my droid so I can look at it while working from my laptop.

BTW I doubt if it works with batteries, but I have power out there already so not a problem for me.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Cool thanks, it's still 'indoor' rated.

I assume yours in inside your observatory? Mine would be outside in the environment.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

UlteriorModem wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:09 pm Cool thanks, it's still 'indoor' rated.

I assume yours in inside your observatory? Mine would be outside in the environment.
I wish I had one! Nope for that money I can take the risk. You would be surprised about how resistant some electronics is against water, a while ago I pulled my USB stick through washer and dryer, it was spic and span and still worked fine!
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Doesn't the Wyze 3 do low light for cheap?
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Groovy 2 and I use the wyze cam V3. Very inexpensive and available on Amazon. I own three of these now because they're so inexpensive. @Groovy2 has posted a number of meteor and other videos from this camera, and I posted an aurora video from this camera, check it out.

∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Cool but 'wired' is out of the question.
Tom

Current Equipment:
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

UlteriorModem wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:49 pm Cool but 'wired' is out of the question.
The image is wireless. It still needs a power cord though.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by dcrowson »

To answer your question, IR will be problematic for imaging. Your filters are probably IR-blocking but you might still see some. Your guide camera typically doesn't have a filter so it will be heavily impacted by IR.

I would get something that could be turned on and off. Some allow for turning off just the IR. When we setup our remote observatory 6-7 years ago, we just bought a cheap set of security cameras with a DVR. Having a remote power switch, we just turn off the power to the cameras X minutes after opening the roof. If someone needs to see something, they can turn them on temporarily.

You'll probably find that the camera(s) are good for checking the roof but you might never use it to look at your equipment.

Dan
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I just want something to watch slews, meridian flips etc. that and when it stops tracking, hits the limit switches, a cable snag etc.

Save me from having to go all the way out there to look.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

dcrowson wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:15 pm To answer your question, IR will be problematic for imaging. Your filters are probably IR-blocking but you might still see some. Your guide camera typically doesn't have a filter so it will be heavily impacted by IR.

I would get something that could be turned on and off. Some allow for turning off just the IR. When we setup our remote observatory 6-7 years ago, we just bought a cheap set of security cameras with a DVR. Having a remote power switch, we just turn off the power to the cameras X minutes after opening the roof. If someone needs to see something, they can turn them on temporarily.

You'll probably find that the camera(s) are good for checking the roof but you might never use it to look at your equipment.

Dan
I have not noticed any problems with the IR light. If you make sure the OTA is pointed away from the webcam, there is no way the IR light will interfere. I leave it on all night. And yes, it is very reassuring to be able to look at the mount when doing a meridian flip without going outside.
Groovy2
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Groovy2 »

Wyze Cam V3 -

can turn off/On IR illuminator with phone app - app works well -
V3 has Night Vision mode - cam Sees pretty good in really dark -No IR used -

USB powered - I use power bank - will operate all night -
Live View watch on phone Wifi- works good - range is about 100ft -
Live View and TimeLapse - both can be recorded same time and recorded to SD card -
cam also has Mic so you can hear sound if needed

Im Sure V3 will do what you need -

i have 5 of these cameras
dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by dcrowson »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:50 pm
dcrowson wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:15 pm To answer your question, IR will be problematic for imaging. Your filters are probably IR-blocking but you might still see some. Your guide camera typically doesn't have a filter so it will be heavily impacted by IR.

Dan
I have not noticed any problems with the IR light. If you make sure the OTA is pointed away from the webcam, there is no way the IR light will interfere. I leave it on all night. And yes, it is very reassuring to be able to look at the mount when doing a meridian flip without going outside.
Lucky for you. I can immediately see when one of my observatory partners turns on the cameras. My oag camera loses stars. I can also see the effects in the normal images... Do keep in mind that we have about six of these cameras pointed at different things so there's almost always one pointing near a scope.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

I use standard visible-light webcams. If I am going to take the risk of ruining an image, I might as well go whole-hog and just turn the lights on. I wouldn't do it during a session unless something was seriously wrong, so there's a good chance there is no viable image to ruin.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I went ahead and ordered the 'fancy' one with pan tilt zoom features and IP66 rated. I am hoping if it is mounted down low the IR (if turned on) wont interfere with imaging. But really only plan on turning it on during slews, centers, and flips.

It is supposed to arrive today but is also supposed to rain today and the next day or two. But will report back with results once I get it set up and running.

Thanks!
Tom

Current Equipment: