Telescope transportation

Discuss reflector telescopes
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Telescope transportation

Post by Marcelo F. »

I did a quick search on telescope transportation and didn't find any topic dedicated to this specific subject in this forum (I could be wrong, in which case I ask you to redirect me to the correct topic).

The subject is more critical in reflector-type telescopes, due to the dimensions of course. This theme can also be applied to refractors and catadioptric types, but these are usually transported in the same way as photographic equipment in HPRC cases or similar.

Many of the users of this forum don't have pickup trucks or trailers. And the issue is not so much in the weight of the equipment but more the volume it occupies in the trunk or on the roof of the small city car.

That's why I'd like to see your preferred method of transporting your 8, 10, 12 and more inch telescopes discussed here. Do you still use the original boxes? Do you use hard cases from other equipment like theodolite set or golf equipment? Wrapped in blankets? boxes/bags made by you? And what are the critical points where you put foams, rubbers and blockers during the trip to ensure that there is not much loss of collimation.

Since we are on THE INTERNET, in this binary CYBERSPACE, photos are always more appealing. But a detailed description with links is not far behind and is also welcome of course.
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Telescope transportation

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Orion used to sell soft zipper fasted cases that would hold the tube of a 12" f5 Dob and a complete case set for their 14" intelliscope.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I use the original box for the 10" Dob. For my 6" refractor for my recent move to a new state I took the scope to the UPS Store and they had a box big enough to handle it, filled with peanuts and bubble wrap. Successfully made it to Washington from California.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

When you talk about transportation, are you speaking of cross-country by a third party (eg. moving your primary residence) or are you talking more like by yourself going to a Star Party? These two different modes of transportation would need two different types of protection.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I guess, this:
Many of the users of this forum don't have pickup trucks or trailers. And the issue is not so much in the weight of the equipment but more the volume it occupies in the trunk or on the roof of the small city car.
hints to "by yourself"-option.
I use the back seat of my car. With a seat belt if I see necessary.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Marcello,
I transported a large equatorial mount(EM200) and 8" Vixen Cassegrain from my home in the city, 70km to my friends dark sky property. The last km was over a very rough track to the area near his observatory. The car I used for most of that time was a Ford Focus hatchback. I did a lot of photography so there was other gear like batteries, camera bags etc.

I can't send pictures, the car was destroyed in a storm and I now own a pickup truck but I can describe it.

I fitted a large roof boot. Tripod, and camp table and chairs went up there. All lightweight bulky items.

Heavy items: 12V car battery, 17kg EQ head, counterweights went in there. The boot (trunk) base was lined with bunched up old woollen blankets. The EQ head floated on one blanket and was kept separated from other items by twisted ropes of blanket. Car battery and counterweights, tools etc sat straight on the floor of the boot held in place by twists of blanket. The end result was a layer covering the entire floor of the boot, Padded camera bags were placed on top of these holding cameras and telescope accessories.

My eyepieces are not transported in a fungal breeding enclosure (aka Pelican case) Pelican cases are very inefficient on space and the foam holds moisture and breeds fungus. eyepieces are quite robust and only need a thin padded bag. I have attached pictures at the end of the protection used by a friend of mine. He has it all in his observatory, he doesn't carry it around much but has a landcruiser for when he does and he fills it. He brings his Takahashi CN212 Newt Cass out here and fills the cruiser with foam. He suffered a spasmed back here one night and decide to leave all his gear here for me to pack. I checked the foam case and it was wet. I left it open for a few days to dry out.

My premium eyepieces 2" and 1.25" consist of 31/17/12/7mm Naglers and 10/5mm Pentax XL were and still are transported in a simple camera case padded liner on the floor of the back seat (USD16 on ebay). Nowadays I observe from my back yard after I moved to a dark sky home.
2in-eyepieces-1.jpg
2in-eyepieces-2.jpg
The orange toolbox you can see in the background holds all my 1.25" eyepieces in unpadded but separate plastic compartments. I have a 6" newt that only takes 1.25" eyepieces. They'll rattle around a bit but won't get damaged. When I'm going to use the Newt, I remove the 1.25' premium eyepieces from the soft back and put them in the orange tool box. The void in the bottom of the toolbox holds cables, handbox etc.

If I was going rough riding in a 4wd, I would change these to a padded bag like the burnt orange one.

Finally the telescope tube.
8" cass is 500mm long and 232mm diameter.
Another scrunched up woollen blanket on the floor behind the passenger seat. The tube just sat on top held in place by the back to the front seat and the front of the rear seat. A large padded warm suit is tucked around this to hold it down and in place.

cheers
Joe
Attachments
IMG_1854.jpg
IMG_1853.jpg
IMG_1685.jpg
IMG_1676.jpg
IMG_1648.jpg
IMG_1647a.jpg
IMG_1647.jpg
MIS_8016_edited2.jpg
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

When I "resurrected " my C8 for a short time, I used a large, plastic storage bin and added bubblewrap and old bath towels. The original footlocker case had disintegrated over the years. Sorry, no pics because I sold the C8 with the bin last year, but this one is similar and has some extra room for an EP case, etc.:
Screenshot.jpg
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I used to use a sleeping bag to put the dobsonian tube into then placed it on the rear seat.
I would not worry to much about collimation as you will likely have to do it once set up anyway.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I use the 14" cylinder of my 12" Dob to store luggage. For that I cut a multiplex disc on a rope that I lower on to the mirror holders after I take the spider with secondary out. Then I stuff it with a sleeping bag, clothes and whatever else fits in there. The disc is solid so I don't have to be overly careful. It is an F/4 so it fits on the rear seat. It does not make the OTA smaller but eliminates the waste of space that it takes up. No reason to protect the OTA with boxes, mine is made of steel and who cares about a few dings or scratches.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images