Flats for all of LRGB or just L?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Flats for all of LRGB or just L?

Post by SkyHiker »

Stuart wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:26 pm I'm going to put another wrench into this. Your method of casting a headlamp on a wall may be causing more problems. Flat calibration frames have to be completely uniform in illumination. The problem with a headlamp is that the center will be brighter than the edges and that will screw up the flat frame subs. That's why many of us have illuminated flatfield panels.
I don't think so. The FOV of the scope is about 1.5 degrees so the area on the wall that is about 2 m away is roughly the same as the aperture, which is 12". The light beam of my headlamp is spread out about 30 degrees by a lens and covers a 2 m disc that seems pretty uniform. On the relatively small 12" part the nonuniformity will be negligible compared to that caused by vignetting.

Later I found that my Paracorr II causes a lot of vignetting with a sharp edge because its tube is too long for my ASI2600 that has an APS-C sized sensor. Replacing it with the Baader MPCC Mark III fixed the vignetting while still maintaining good coma correction. I found that the angle of the scope during one night taking LRGB in that sequence, had a effect on the light reception from the neighbors flood lights across the street. Adding a light shield, and picking a higher starting, fixed that.

I did reconfirm later that taking L flats is just as good as taking flats for all of LRGB, after eliminating aforementioned angle dependent LP effects.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Flats for all of LRGB or just L?

Post by Stuart »

Alright then. Whatever works for you.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.