Discuss deep sky objects.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Question about M42

Post by Jnicholes »

So, tonight, I went out and attempted the track Uranus as well as comet 19P/Borrelly. I failed at both of those. Unknown reason. I attempted to check my tracking by going to the Orion Nebula. When I got there, my tracking was working, and I got my best picture of the Orion Nebula EVER.
CA5C1927-626F-45E5-A220-1551C1FEDD0E.jpeg
I don’t care that I missed comet Borrelly and Uranus. This is my BEST PICTURE EVER!

I actually have a question about the Orion Nebula. As you can see, I also caught M43, De Mairans nebula. Right below De Mairans nebula is a dark patch in the Orion Nebula, commonly referred to as the “fish mouth.”

What is the fish mouth? Is it a dark nebula? Cloud of dust? What is it exactly? Does anyone know the answer to this? I’m currently researching myself.

I’m just curious.

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Question about M42

Post by OzEclipse »

I don't know for sure but dark nebulae are usually interstellar dust laying line of sight somewhere between the nebula and us.
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

This is what I found:
Orion Nebula (M42, NGC1976) hii region that is easily visible to the naked eye as the central object in the sword of orion (RA 05h 35m.4 dec. -05°27'). The main part of the nebula is separated from a smaller part of the same cloud, known as M43 or NGC1982, by a dark absorbing region called the fish's mouth.
http://www.sozvezdiya.ru/eng/o.php

Looks like @OzEclipse is right. Funny, that it's so hard to find much anything about it.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Jared,

Nice capture!

This area is M43, the Fish Mouth Nebula.

BD26983D-9DDE-45D5-BDE9-7A9278FF0C80.jpeg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

The dark cloud is one of the most recognizable features (along with the Trapezium cluster) of M42, easily visible in small scopes. It is a cloud of star-forming dust, blown into a column by the stellar wind from the Trapezium stars.
core closeup.jpg
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Thanks for getting back. So it’s star forming dust, huh? I was wondering about that.

Thanks!

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

KathyNS wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:16 pm The dark cloud is one of the most recognizable features (along with the Trapezium cluster) of M42, easily visible in small scopes. It is a cloud of star-forming dust, blown into a column by the stellar wind from the Trapezium stars.

This is correct in every detail. The fish mouth is the darker area intruding into M42 and is part of the dust cloud separating M42 and M43. M42 and M43 can be viewed as a big fluorescent bubble with partial obscuration and intrusion from interstellar dust that's responsible for the fish mouth. Annotated images can be found here:

https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/s ... d12172014/
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thank you Kathy @KathyNS and nFA @notFritzArgelander for the information about the Fish Mouth Nebula. I really wasn’t sure, but now I have it!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:01 pm Hi Jared,

Nice capture!

This area is M43, the Fish Mouth Nebula.

M43 is NOT the Fish Mouth. The Fish Mouth is the dark intrusion into the Regio Centralis in M42.
M43 is the comma-shaped section of nebulosity with a bright star in the center that stands away from M42.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Dark nebulosity is usually a large cloud of gas and dust that lies closer to us than stars or nebula behind it.
It is dark because it doesn't have a nearby star reflecting from its dust grains, or exciting the gas to emit light.
Dark nebula is usually gas, not dust, but can be a mix of both, as is the case with most nebulae.
Astronomer since 1963
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Don Pensack wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm .....
Dark nebula is usually gas, not dust, but can be a mix of both, as is the case with most nebulae.
Dark nebulae owe the bulk of their darkness to dust. If they were mostly gaseous they would be more transparent. The extinction of light from behind them is due entirely to interstellar dust grains in the densest part of cold molecular clouds.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

A little research on dark nebulae shows their opacity is largely due to dust grains, as the last poster noted.
However, composition-wise, they are mostly gas, and almost all of the gas is molecular hydrogen.
Also, they are largely transparent in the infrared and longer wavelengths.
Astronomer since 1963