StarNet2

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

StarNet2

Post by Juno16 »

Just curious if anyone has tried Starnet2 yet? StarNet2 was released on 1/24/22.

A few months ago, I jumped from Starnet++ to StarXTerminator and really enjoy the better performance.

About 30 minutes ago, I installed the new version of Starnet (StarNet2) in Pixinsight and just after a bit of playing around with images that I struggled with removing dense starfields before with StarNet++ and even some in StarXTerminator, I am really impressed with the much cleaner performance and speediness of StarNet2.

Any other first impressions??
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: StarNet2

Post by starfield »

Funny, Jim. I just tried the same thing. Definitely a big improvement over the Starnet V1.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

starfield wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:34 am Funny, Jim. I just tried the same thing. Definitely a big improvement over the Starnet V1.
Good to hear that Steve.

I just installed it last night and tried it on a few images including a recent M31 that I had imaged with the Sharpstar bad glass. The pretty bad CA on hundreds of stars. V2 pulled the stars out cleanly. When I originally processed the image in V1, I had to CloneStamp the residual blue halos on the starless image until my fingers were worn out. V2 pulled the stars and blue halos leaving a spotless starless image. Took less than one minute to remove the stars on my older Ryzen 7 2700x machine without gpu acceleration. Very impressive!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Glad to hear all this, I'm still in my evaluation time period with Star Exterminator. Was leaning towards it because of it's tight integration with PS.

Just downloaded version 2, will have a go at it and see how it works. Any thoughts on the Windows GUI?
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chris_g wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:31 pm Glad to hear all this, I'm still in my evaluation time period with Star Exterminator. Was leaning towards it because of it's tight integration with PS.

Just downloaded version 2, will have a go at it and see how it works. Any thoughts on the Windows GUI?
Just from the little that I have used v2, I might have pulled the trigger too early on StarXTerminator. StarXTerminator does work much better than v1 and I’m hoping that StarXTerminator will eventually up their game. V2 will be tough to beat though, especially considering the price (or lack of one).

Since I am using v2 with PI, I have no idea about the Windows GUI, but it has to be a bit simpler that the command line in v1.
Jim

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

This is very good news. How do I get V2 downloaded and installed?

BTW I accidentally locked myself out of my house last night and had to spend the night at a neighbors house. This morning I broke the window in the front door to gain access. I'll be purchasing a piece of plexiglass to replace the glass. How embarrassing!!!

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:05 pm This is very good news. How do I get V2 downloaded and installed?

BTW I accidentally locked myself out of my house last night and had to spend the night at a neighbors house. This morning I broke the window in the front door to gain access. I'll be purchasing a piece of plexiglass to replace the glass. How embarrassing!!!

Steve
The links to it are on CN

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/808556-starnet-v2
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:05 pm This is very good news. How do I get V2 downloaded and installed?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your lock out!
I used to run a lot and not wanting to carry a key around in my running shorts, I installed a Schlage keyless entry deadbolt lock. Fairly cheap at ~$100, I haven't worried about carrying a key for years. In an emergency, I can give the combination to someone if they need to get in and I can change the combination later. They do make wifi smartlocks that you can unlock with your phone (they will actually unlock and lock hands free when you walk up to the door or walk away).

V2 isn't part of a PI update yet, but it can easily be downloaded and installed in PI (will actually coexist with V1). It shows up in several menus including Processes-All Processes-Starnet2.

I haven't looked at the CN post, but I am lazy (when I can be) and just looked at a very good YouTube video by VisibleDark. It accurately describes the manual installation in PI.
Most of the video shows the difference between V1, StarXTerminator, and V2. The video is 13 min long and if you just want to look at the installation instructions, shoot to about 10:18.
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:32 pm

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your lock out!
I used to run a lot and not wanting to carry a key around in my running shorts, I installed a Schlage keyless entry deadbolt lock. Fairly cheap at ~$100, I haven't worried about carrying a key for years. In an emergency, I can give the combination to someone if they need to get in and I can change the combination later. They do make wifi smartlocks that you can unlock with your phone (they will actually unlock and lock hands free when you walk up to the door or walk away).

V2 isn't part of a PI update yet, but it can easily be downloaded and installed in PI (will actually coexist with V1). It shows up in several menus including Processes-All Processes-Starnet2.

I haven't looked at the CN post, but I am lazy (when I can be) and just looked at a very good YouTube video by VisibleDark. It accurately describes the manual installation in PI.
Most of the video shows the difference between V1, StarXTerminator, and V2. The video is 13 min long and if you just want to look at the installation instructions, shoot to about 10:18.

Thanks Jim, just what I needed.

By the way I put a spare key in a Hide-a-Key magnetic key holder and have it in a "safe" location. I recently changed all the locks on my mobile home and rekeyed all of them so one key works on all. I just forgot to put the new key in the Hide-a-Key! Duh :oops: :oops:

Steve
Last edited by STEVE333 on Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

chris_g wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:53 pm

Steve
The links to it are on CN

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/808556-starnet-v2

Thanks Chris. Much appreciated.

Steve
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I noticed one big difference between Starnet 2 and Starnet 1.

With Starnet 1, the Star Mask, if you selected it, would be exactly the same as the difference between the original and the starless images. So, if you forgot to select star mask and realized later that you wanted one, you could re-create it without re-running Starnet by a simple and fast PixelMath expression.

With Starnet 2, the star mask is considerably different from the difference between the original and the starless images. So adding the star mask to the starless image will not re-create the original.

That will have implications for processing stars and nebulae separately, since my workflow relies on being able to add them back together when I am done.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

KathyNS wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:16 pm I noticed one big difference between Starnet 2 and Starnet 1.

With Starnet 1, the Star Mask, if you selected it, would be exactly the same as the difference between the original and the starless images. So, if you forgot to select star mask and realized later that you wanted one, you could re-create it without re-running Starnet by a simple and fast PixelMath expression.

With Starnet 2, the star mask is considerably different from the difference between the original and the starless images. So adding the star mask to the starless image will not re-create the original.

That will have implications for processing stars and nebulae separately, since my workflow relies on being able to add them back together when I am done.
Starnet 1 only has 1 command line parameter, the tile size, right? So any effects of star masks must be a property of the calling program, not Starnet 1. Or does it have other undocumented parameters?
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:41 pm
KathyNS wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:16 pm I noticed one big difference between Starnet 2 and Starnet 1.

Starnet 1 only has 1 command line parameter, the tile size, right? So any effects of star masks must be a property of the calling program, not Starnet 1. Or does it have other undocumented parameters?
It's been a long time since I used the command line version. Most of my experience is with the PixInsight version. Starnet 1 has "Stride" and "Star Mask" parameters. Starnet 2 has "Stride", "Star Mask", "2x upsample" and "Linear data" parameters.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

My STarNet++ version has a README.TXT that has no star mask input file and documents its command line usage as:

Modes of usage:
starnet++.exe INPUT
starnet++.exe INPUT OUTPUT
starnet++.exe INPUT OUTPUT STRIDE

INPUT and OUTPUT are obviously filenames of images.

Stride is set to 64 if not specified.
OUTPUT is set to 'starless.tif' if not specified.

I just downloaded StarNet v1.1 and it shows the same so AFAICT it does not handle a star mask, PI must be doing that in some kind of wrapper.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

OMG, I just ran StarNet 2 on the image I was having the most difficult time with. It blows Star Exterminator out of the water!

I did select finer tiles in the Gui, StarNet version 1 stride command line

What I started with
NGC 2264.jpg
StarNet V1
StarNe Starless_V1.jpg
StarNet V2
NGC 2264_Starless_V2.jpg
Exterminator
NGC 2264 No Stars_Exterminator.jpg
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Just to confirm it appears Starnet has moved their download to their own page:

http://starnetastro.com/
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Kuleesha Sri Lanka
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kuleesha »

I tried downloading starnet at http://starnetastro.com/ but the website is not loading.
If anyone could share the file it would be a great help.
I need the standalone version not the one for pixinsight
Thanks.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Kuleesha wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:42 am I tried downloading starnet at http://starnetastro.com/ but the website is not loading.
If anyone could share the file it would be a great help.
I need the standalone version not the one for pixinsight
Thanks.

I could not get the website to load either. I saw a few references on the internet also talking about the Starnetastro site being down. Strange that I could not find any mirror download sites either.

If nobody here responds here, try the Cloudy Nights forum. Someone there has possibly ran into the same issue or can share the standalone version.
Jim