PHD2, EQMOD, and maybe Orion EQ-G mount

Discuss guiding here
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

PHD2, EQMOD, and maybe Orion EQ-G mount

Post by Star Dad »

I'm putting this out in the hopes that it might help someone in the future.

Three sessions ago my laptop stopped dead in it's tracks while imaging my last object for the night. I had to reboot and repair windows to get it back running. I don't if the temperature contributed to the total shutdown - it was a 0F night. In any case after restarting the imaging session PHD2 would not guide properly. I figured it had to do with a northerly object I was tracking. Did not give it a second thought.

Two sessions ago I had a horrible night. I watched as PHD2 would try to correct the mount and then keep on correcting as the guiding passed zero into the opposite direct. I ended up doing all my imaging without guiding.

It dawned on me that perhaps PHD2 needed recalibration. So my last session I determined to do a calibrate. But it wouldn't. Again, PHD2 was sending a signal but the mount wasn't reacting. I manually slewed the mount using EQMOD to a point near the celestial equator. No problem. Weird, I thought. PHD2 would not calibrate. So I went online and found a snippet that suggested trying to manually control the mount via PHD2. The mount wouldn't budge. OK, so I had set the mount to rapid slew via EQMOD, so I set it to speed 1. Still, PHD wasn't able to keep a target star long enough for calibration to finish. Then for some unknown reason, I thought to set EQMOD to sidereal tracking. Voila' suddenly it could not just track but also calibrate.

I do not know what happened during the power down of the laptop, but something changed in EQMOD. I do not know if this behavior (ie sidereal tracking enabled) is unique to my mount, but it's something to keep in mind if your system suddenly goes bonkers.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: PHD2, EQMOD, and maybe Orion EQ-G mount

Post by starfield »

Ah gremlins. Have you tried changing out the USB cables? Wonder if cold temps caused an issue. After checking the cables and EQMOD settings, I might try reinstalling using the PHD2 installation wizard again.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/