6" RC - Gonna give it another try...

Discuss your 'Cats' here.
a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

6" RC - Gonna give it another try...

Post by a100171 »

I haven't been out as much as I should, but managed to get a few pieces of equipment out there to make sure all is good.
I fired-up a Meade DS2090 not long ago, and was pleasantly surprised how well it performed on Jupiter, shortly before it left for the season. Really not bad at all. I brought out the 6" SN on the Twilight I mount last night. Also looks to be fairly close in alignment, and produced a very good view of the Great nebula.

Now what is staring at me is this Orion 6" RC that has been thwarting me for years. I have a Moonlite focuser for it now (used), and the Tilt Plate. And the Glatter laser. Getting ready to do a full back-to-front alignment to see what is really going on. I am still somewhat concerned that the Primary is not square/centered somehow, but it is all coming apart for inspection. I will be careful and make measurements on the Secondary spacing, and see how square the secondary is within the optical train.

I have seen some impressive pics here, using the 6RC. Naturally, those are well collimated and be relatively free from optical train problems. This thing is like 6 or 7 years old now and has never been close to aligned, despite every attempt. I do not even think I would try and sell it the way that it is. Who knows what sort of remedy will be needed, but the weather will be quite crappy for a while.

Who knows if it will end up turning into a fancy headlight for the tractor or something. Or an artifact buried in 9 or 10 feet of soil.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 6" RC - Gonna give it another try...

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Best of luck!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5