What was your first "real" scope?

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What was your first "real" scope?

Post by Chich »

First scope was a 40mm Tasco refractor that I got for xmas in '69, then a shaky spindly legged 70mm Sears refractor. Still have a clear memory of seeing Saturn for the first time in that scope though, so maybe the 'hobby killer' moniker is a little unwarranted.

Life took me away from the hobby for a long time. When I returned my first serious scope was a Celestron SE8. It was a surprise to see how much the equipment had changed and what you could get for a reasonable amount of money.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

The first decent scope was a 3" cardboard newt. I was about 9 years old. Spent hours trying to see the astronauts on the Moon 🌝
Then a Sears discovery 70mm refractor.

Then the Meade 6" Starfinder, similar to this:
post-47600-14073688000911.jpg
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Hardly what most of us would call a "real" telescope these days, but here I am around 1981-2 with my Sears 3" refractor.

Most of the time I tell folks THIS ws my first real telescope. An 8" Celestron SCT purchased in 1985 for the return of Halley's comet. I'm sure Celestron made a ton of money leading up to that disappointing flyby.
This image was taken July 1991 when I was headed to Mexico (by truck) to experience my first total Solar Eclipse. My transmission blew up while visiting a friend in Flagstaff so I ended up stranded there for a week, waiting on parts. Missed the total eclipse but watched the partial from the parking lot at the Lowell Observatory that can barely be seen in the background.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Actually a 40mm refractor with a draw tube focus. You could either hold it up to your eye like a pirate's scope or mount it on a flimsy 12" tabletop tripod. Saw the moon, that was about it. Then when I was 9 my uncle gave me his old 60mm refractor, which was an off brand but seemingly with well-made Japanese optics. Saw the rings of Saturn, Jupiter's moons, Mars, and the Orion Nebula. When I was eleven I got the Edmund Scientific 4.25" f/10 reflector with a spherical mirror, called the "Super Space Conqueror" as a Christmas gift. When I was 14 I built an 8" Dob with money earned from my paper route. The plans were in Astronomy Magazine.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

My first real scope was a 10.1" Coulter Odyssey Dobsonian that I bought on sale from our local astro club. While it was a nice scope I used it rarely until I converted it for astrophotography by building an autoguided barndoor mount for it. That was a fun project that got me started in AP.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

My first telescope (real being in the eye of the beholder) was a Gilbert reflector (see below image - not my scope though). Cardboard tube, plastic focuser, stationary secondary holder, metal mirror cell with collimation screws. A wobbly metal tripod held it okay since it was light weight. I adored that telescope, which my mother bought for me through the Montgomery Wards catalog - similarly to John's Sears and Roebucks experiences. At the time I didn't really know Charles Messier from my dog's butt. I saw objects marked on my planisphere and chased them. I didn't have a proper atlas. My favorite memories were summers spent observing M6 and M7 in Scorpius. I next received a pair of Tasco 7x50 binoculars which saw a lot of use as well. Its just I didn't have much reference material in a small Indiana town.
Gilbert.jpg
But my first "real" telescope was a Coulter Odyssey II 17.5 inch dobsonian (see image below - not my scope though). Huge and heavy, even for a strapping young man, it was a lot to move around. Why it never occurred to me to put wheel-barrow handles on it I'll never know. I guess I wasn't too dynamic of a thinker! :lol: Anyway, while that behemoth structure is long gone, the optics (refigured) live on in the truss dob you see me with in my avatar. Those mirrors have certainly reflected a lot of photons over the years. :)
Odyssey II.jpg
Odyssey II.jpg (8.5 KiB) Viewed 7151 times
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

I'm not sure what defines a "real" telescope. But most of my early observing as a teen in the 1970s was through a Tasco 60mm refractor.
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse
omeek United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

While I have been interested in astronomy since I was a kid I got into the telescope game later in life so my first scope was the Orion XT8i Dob. That is such an amazing scope to start with. After a bit I finally picked up a Zhummel Z12 and that is all I've used since. :D
-Oliver
Telescopes: Orion XT8i, Zhumell Z12
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Bino's: 12x42, 12x60
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

My first scope was a 60mm JC Penney 800mm focal length refractor on an alt/az mount that I bought at a swap meet. It had 3 or 4 clam chips in the objective,, and the mount did not have an eyepiece tray. I connected a small chain to the tripod legs and hung a gallon water-flled milk jug to keep it steady. It came with the wooden box and all the optical assessories. It was in rough condition but I saw a lot with that little scope.

As for first "real" scope, different people will choose a different scope! My wife bought me an early1980's Astroscan and then I bought a Sky Research 8" f/2.9 richest-field Dobson-mounted scope. It was like an 8" monocular! That was followed by a Celestron classic orange SCT. Photos below of the Sky Research original with an optical window and then rebuilt in 1991 when the optical window cracked, and the C-8 SCT and Astroscan. Unfortunately I no longer own the Astroscan and Celestron. I am in the process of re-imagining the 8" f/2.9.
Attachments
IMG_20210510_063603912.jpg
IMG_20210510_063621107.jpg
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
mtminnesota
Earth Ambassador

Post by mtminnesota »

A 1968 Sears 60mm alt-az refractor, the best Christmas gift I ever got. The Japanese optics weren't bad, the mount was terrible. I got it at age 10 and learned how to star hop to anything in the sky. After the mount wore out I promised myself I'd get back into the hobby someday with a nice scope and mount, and I finally did that over the past two years. Two of my four scopes are 60mm refractors.
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

A Fullerscope 8.75" F8 Newtonian on their Mk III GEM, with a RA clock drive.
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I guess I missed posting to this when it first came out! Better late than never!!

My first scope was a Unitron Model 114, 60mm, f/15 on an alt-az mount. I bought it for $125 in 1959 after saving my paper route money for almost two years! The B&W photo was taken the day I received it. I still have and use the scope. The more recent photo shows it with my 4 inch Unitron that I purchased new in 1989 (30 years after I purchased my first Unitron) when I was stationed in Japan.

I've also included a December 1959 Unitron advertisement from Sky and Telescope magazine.

Dave
Unitron 114_First Light.jpg
Originals.jpg
59_12_Christmas.jpg
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Roverich
Moon Ambassador

Post by Roverich »

Etx 70 . Maxed out with a 4.7mm eyepiece looking at Saturn. I was hooked after that.
Current scopes 16in night sky dobsonian , 80mm synta refractor on a slik professional tripod with a stellarvue m1 mount Meade series 4000 eyepieces. Meade 70mm binoculars. Keep looking up.

In route. Astrotech 102ed refractor :sprefac:
a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

My dad bought the kids a Sears 60 - the Classic. I used to setup on the street facing due east,catching Jupiter as it came up over the water.

Many neighbors got their first look at Jupiter and the 4 moons. Those H series 0.965 EPs were not the greatest, but I did a lot of scanning with that bad boy.

Being a shared scope, it became horribly mis-treated over the years.I miss it!
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

1964 60mm Sears Jason-Empire. Used it for about 10 years, before putting together a Jaegers 3" frac. I still have the 60mm in my collection.
I swapped out the alt-az mount with an Edmunds Equatorial about 2 years after I bought it and added the finder with an illuminated reticle.
first telescope 1964.jpg
first telescope 1964.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 5823 times
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
cumbrianwolf
Moon Ambassador

Post by cumbrianwolf »

I have no images, but a Meade LXD75 10" Schmidt Newtonian was what I consider my first real telescope, optically superb but the mount was puny for such a payload.