Overpriced Unistellar Gets Another Plug (not from me)

Discuss reflector telescopes
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Overpriced Unistellar Gets Another Plug (not from me)

Post by SkyHiker »

Here's another positive review, https://telescopeguides.com/unistellar-evscope-review/ .

Sure we can get an ASIAir to do the same but: This is probably for an EQ scope so you have to polar align, you have to hook up the cables, get the battery out, hook up a laptop to do goto alignment and find the target, set up the imaging sequence, get some program to auto-stack it, yada yada... This package has zero cables, no external battery, all you have to do is level and focus it then you can command it from your cell phone. It simplifies things tremendously.

The niche for this scope is for people who would otherwise use a visual scope but can't due to the light pollution, and/or people who don't go gaga over grey blobs and want to see some color and structure, for the casual observer and who definitely don't want to become astrophotographers. Great to share with others and have a conversation topic during a party.

Both EVScope and Stellina are still around so they must be successful.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

A couple members of my local club have them and they love them. Granted, part of that might be a need to justify the expense, but I don't think that's a major factor. Being in heavy light pollution, the scopes are essentially EAA platforms. Nobody's looking for exoplanets or the next killer comet or whatever.

I was invited to tie into the WiFi on my phone from one at a club open house, but got clouded out so I have no first hand experience (yet). That owner has the newer version that sends the output directly to a smartphone (up to 12 phones maybe?) instead of an intensifier EP.

Dunno, $3K for a turnkey EAA solution could be worth it, considering the price and hassles inherent in piecing a system together. OTOH, I don't have $3K to drop in one bundle on astro right now, so it's a moot point for me.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

i am very late to the party , here's my thought .

You can't stop progress, but progress can stop you.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

messier 111 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:39 pm You can't stop progress, but progress can stop you.
:think: Occurs to me that if I drop a scope or blow a slo-mo gear on a mount, I'm out a few hundred bucks and can use and swap in other gear. If an Equinox bricks, what do you do? You're out $3K and completely stopped?

I'm not knocking them - if I had $3K to play with, I'd probably get one - but I wonder about the robustness of the technology. I guess time will tell.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
BigKahuna United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BigKahuna »

One of my cub members has the 2nd generation unit and brings it to star parties for public showing. For this application it always has a crowd. Even on the 10" tablet the picture is very nice and gets better the longer you look at it. Sure it isn't the purest image but It serves it's purpose.
Telescopes/Mounts : Explore Scientific ED102 or Celestron C6N on AVX, 8SE OTA on ASGT, NexStar 114GT/AZ, Meade ETX-90EC w/ Observer Base, Orion XT10i
Binoculars: Pentax 10x50
Camera : ZWO 533MC Pro, Canon EOS Rebel T6, ZWO ASI224MC

Clear Skies,
Ron
Member ASTRA-NJ