GPS replacement for Autostar????

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
KCC07
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

GPS replacement for Autostar????

Post by KCC07 »

Good morning...my first post so bear with me.

I have an ETX-125 that I like very much. I haven't used it in quite a while because my autostar is not working. I'd like to replace it with a more modern device if it exists.

Does anyone make a GPS controller (or the like) that is compatible with this telescope or do I need to replace my malfunctioning autostar?

I'd very much like to get back into the hobby again.

Thank you in advance.

Ken
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: GPS replacement for Autostar????

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Good day Ken,
You can replace the Autostar with a Audiostar controller but as far as I know there's no stock available and on the Meade site it was marked as discontinued. I did get a spare Audiostar a few years back just in case I run into problems but I also got a spare Autostar off the net in an unused condition and I suggest that you start there. The Meade controllers don't have GPS built-in but have a separate GPS module in the mount of models like the LX90 and LX200. StarGPS did make add-on GPS modules for the Meade ETX scopes. Have you tried to troubleshoot your Autostar? What are the symptoms when you power it up? The controller is an integral part of the mount so it cannot function without it but if it has no display or keyboard control, but still boots, you can use a pc based controller via a USB to #505 converter cable and apps like the Meade Autostar suite or MyScope app to opperate the scope with a laptop.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100