Hello everyone.

Discuss Celestron telescopes
Steve
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Hello everyone.

Post by Steve »

:galleleo: cold winter nights,how do I look after my telescope when I finish stargazing,against condensation, do I pop back on the lens cover or leave it off,at the moment I have started to use a heated dew shield a small wrap around cloth that obviously heats the large top but leaves the eye piece section exposed to the temperature outside,I,m worried that this might do more damage than good.I understand that I must let the scope warm up first by ambient heating in other words I leave the scope for about 40 min in our un heated sun room ,before bring it in to our main dwelling.I read that you should completely seal the telescope while still out side then bring it in,not sure if this is helpful..looking for guidance here on the right procedure.I have a Celestron 80 explorer LT, I don't want to strip it down,but to be able to keep it all together with the tripod..Many Thanks.
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Hello everyone.

Post by WilliamPaolini »

When going from very cold to warm environment you want to slow the warm up process to prevent dew on the optical components. The reason for this is that if the air has any particulates in in then when it dews up those particulates will be in the dew and when the dew dries then you have some residue left on the optical components that over time will need to be cleaned. With my refractors I just cap them and leave dew shield extended, as well as wrap a blanket around them to slow things more. With a SCT, given the corrector is so close to the cap, I would wrap the OTA in a blanket then bring it in and leave it that way til morning. On testing I found that the blanket wrap did prevent dewing inside. I'm sure others have other approaches, but this was easy and I found worked for me.

FYI, I do the above when there is a fairly marked difference in temp between outside and inside, something akin to a 30 degree F or 17 degree C delta or more. Less than than and I just cap them outside before I bring them in.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Steve wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:54 pm :galleleo: cold winter nights,how do I look after my telescope when I finish stargazing,against condensation, do I pop back on the lens cover or leave it off,at the moment I have started to use a heated dew shield a small wrap around cloth that obviously heats the large top but leaves the eye piece section exposed to the temperature outside,I,m worried that this might do more damage than good.I understand that I must let the scope warm up first by ambient heating in other words I leave the scope for about 40 min in our un heated sun room ,before bring it in to our main dwelling.I read that you should completely seal the telescope while still out side then bring it in,not sure if this is helpful..looking for guidance here on the right procedure.I have a Celestron 80 explorer LT, I don't want to strip it down,but to be able to keep it all together with the tripod..Many Thanks.
Bringing the scope into an unheated space is the same as leaving it outside: it will do nothing.

The speed of warming is not important. What matters is that you keep humid indoor air away from the cold surfaces, in order to avoid condensation. So capping the optics while still outdoors is helpful. Once the scope has warmed up to room temperature with the caps on, remove them, and allow any of the outdoor moisture that is left to evaporate. Then, re-install the caps and pack it away untill next session.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I think the best way would be putting the gear in an airtight container or plastic pouch. The cold air outside has much less water that the warm air inside the house, even if the relative humidity was high outside. Then the condensation happens on the container or plastic pouch, and the already dry outside air inside becomes even drier (relative humidity sinks) when the air inside warms up. After the inside of the container (and the gear) get as warm as the air inside the house, there's no danger of condensation.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Steve
Earth Ambassador

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the advice K and T will follow your recommendations.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I think the blanket helps by creating a blanket-thick transition layer. When the moist room air penetrates the blanket it cools, and the blanket absorbs most of the excess humidity.
- Juha

SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Keep the lenscap on!
Frosty_Camera.jpg
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount