Post your DSO images here.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

West Veil + Pickering's Triangle HOO - Reprocess

Post by STEVE333 »

Still reprocessing some of last years images with this year's processing knowledge. Cloudy skies right now.

This is the Western Veil Nebula and Pickering's Triangle and Fleming's Triangular Wisp in HOO. I used darkarchon's EZ Star Reduction to reduce the number and brightness of the stars because there are sooooo many! This allows the nebulae to be seen a bit more clearly (at least in my opinion).

Blended_70.jpg

IMAGE DETAILS:
Equipment:
W.O. Star71 telescope, 3 nm Chroma S/H/O/ filters, ASI1600MM camera (-15C, Gain=140), CEM40 mount, Orion MMAG autoguider, StarLite stepper motor (focusing)

[Mount/ASI1600MM camera/Filter wheel/MMAG autoguider/Focusing stepper motor all controlled remotely using APT. APT is on a laptop in the house which is connected by WEme 4-port USB 2.0 extender system with 40 ft ethernet cable connecting the equipment outside to the laptop inside the house.]

33x600 sec Ha, 24x600 sec O3 (Total Exposure 9 hr 30 min), 24 Darks, 30 Flats, 30 Flat Darks

Software:
Captured with APT, Guided with PHD2, Processed with PixInsight

It has been fun reprocessing some of my earlier data. The HOO and SHO processing is starting to feel more comfortable. The added details that NB imaging has produced relative to what the Canon DSLR was capable of producing has been astounding. Modern technology has allowed us amatures to produce results that only the expert astronomers could produce not many years ago. We are very fortunate. Not only that, there are so many good tutorials available to help us learn and progress in this complicated hobby both for data acquisition and image processing. Forums like this with friendly and helpful members have been a great aid also.

Steve
Last edited by STEVE333 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: West Veil + Pickering's Triangle HOO - Reprocess

Post by messier 111 »

beautiful lace , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Great capture and processing!
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

That is a wonderful reprocess Steve. I really like the details and gentleish touch on processing. Looks great!

I agree on the EZ Star Reduction script. It does quite a nice job. I like it much better than using the Morphological Transformation Process (which I believe the script uses, except in a much better way than I can).

I could be wrong, but I believe that the PI EZ suite of scripts are by darkarchon. He is also a N.I.N.A. contributor (quite a versatile and volunteering guy!). Are you talking about the Star De-emphasizer script? I think that it is a script version written by AstroSwell of Adam Block's Star De-Emphasis methods. I have had limited success with that one (probably because I don't use it correctly).

I am still working my way through Adam Block's Fundamentals course. He is a super smart guy and gets very detailed. I will never remember all of what he has covered, but I know its there and can dig back into it if needed. I am in the "PixelMath" section now and the works behind the scenes in PI is amazing!

I really like your process! Not too bold and not too soft. Just right!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Tha is a lovely repro, Steve. You have brought out a lot of great detail without going over the top. Very nicely done!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

MariusD69 Romania

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful image! Great work, Steve! I never use this script (I used only MT process), but I'll try next time.
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:20 pm That is a wonderful reprocess Steve. I really like the details and gentleish touch on processing. Looks great!

I agree on the EZ Star Reduction script. It does quite a nice job. I like it much better than using the Morphological Transformation Process (which I believe the script uses, except in a much better way than I can).

I could be wrong, but I believe that the PI EZ suite of scripts are by darkarchon. He is also a N.I.N.A. contributor (quite a versatile and volunteering guy!). Are you talking about the Star De-emphasizer script? I think that it is a script version written by AstroSwell of Adam Block's Star De-Emphasis methods. I have had limited success with that one (probably because I don't use it correctly).

I am still working my way through Adam Block's Fundamentals course. He is a super smart guy and gets very detailed. I will never remember all of what he has covered, but I know its there and can dig back into it if needed. I am in the "PixelMath" section now and the works behind the scenes in PI is amazing!

I really like your process! Not too bold and not too soft. Just right!
Hi Jim.
You are right about the EZ Star Reduction script author. I edited the post to correctly give darkarchon the credit. It does a better job than I can too.

I've watched quite a few of Adam's free videos and enjoy them. He did a wonderful series (7 videos?) on WBPP that helped me to get using that wonderful script for my CMOS sensor.

Thanks for the nice words on the processing. I've found this target to be very difficult to process. It is easy to see the nebula, but, difficult not to over process it either in brightness or contrast (too bold). Yet if it isn't enhanced somehow then it doesn't seem to stand out (too soft). So far this version is the best compromise.

Thanks for the comments and corrections.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:55 pm
Hi Jim.
You are right about the EZ Star Reduction script author. I edited the post to correctly give darkarchon the credit. It does a better job than I can too.

I've watched quite a few of Adam's free videos and enjoy them. He did a wonderful series (7 videos?) on WBPP that helped me to get using that wonderful script for my CMOS sensor.

Thanks for the nice words on the processing. I've found this target to be very difficult to process. It is easy to see the nebula, but, difficult not to over process it either in brightness or contrast (too bold). Yet if it isn't enhanced somehow then it doesn't seem to stand out (too soft). So far this version is the best compromise.

Thanks for the comments and corrections.

Steve
I am glad to hear that you also find the EZ Star Reduction Script helpful. I just recently started using it along with the EZ Soft Stretch. Good stuff!

I am very grateful for the folks that give their time to write these wonderful scripts for PI.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:45 am
I am glad to hear that you also find the EZ Star Reduction Script helpful. I just recently started using it along with the EZ Soft Stretch. Good stuff!

I am very grateful for the folks that give their time to write these wonderful scripts for PI.

Couldn't agree more Jim. The GAME script is another one I use often with very nice results.

Steve
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Stunning repo and an all-around incredible image. I just checked the price of those 3nm Chroma filters ... :o
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Gmetric wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:26 pm Stunning repo and an all-around incredible image. I just checked the price of those 3nm Chroma filters ... :o

Thanks "G" - I've been very happy with their SHO filters. Because I get limited opportunities to capture data I often have to contend with the moon. Much of the data I've collected has been with the moon at 50% or more (at least once with full moon). The data has always been good.

I purchased the 31mm unmounted filters to go into my 8-position Filter Wheel.

Those filters aren't cheap, but, they sure do a good job. I highly recommend them.

Steve
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Excellent re-process Steve. Balanced just right, as Jim says.

You might be interested in the current AP Processing Challenge. We're having a go at Bob's data on the same target!

I see you're using a WEme 4-port USB 2.0 extender system. I need to get sorted in a similar way as I have the capturing pc in the house now. I bought a USB Ethernet converter but I haven't tried it yet!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:52 pm Excellent re-process Steve. Balanced just right, as Jim says.

You might be interested in the current AP Processing Challenge. We're having a go at Bob's data on the same target!

I see you're using a WEme 4-port USB 2.0 extender system. I need to get sorted in a similar way as I have the capturing pc in the house now. I bought a USB Ethernet converter but I haven't tried it yet!

Regards

Graeme

Hi Graeme - Thanks for the nice words.

Things have been busy at this end. If I get the time I'll give Bob's data a go.

I use an ASI1600MM camera. That camera has built-in USB hub. There are two USB connections on the back of the camera where I plug in my Orion MMAG autoguider camera and the Filter Wheel. I then connect the ASI1600MM output to one of the WEme hub inputs (there are four USB inputs available). I connect the iOptron CEM40 mount to a second WEme input and the focus motor controller to a third WEme input. The output from the WEme hub (which is powered) is connected with a 40' ethernet cable to the other part of the WEme system which is a little box (unpowered) with an ethernet connector on one side(where the ethernet cable plugs in) and a short USB cable on the other side. That short USB cable connects to a USB input on my laptop. This system has been pretty reliable as long as I don't wiggle the USB connection into the laptop. I make sure now to prevent any perturbations to the USB input connection to the laptop. Aside from that the connection has been rock solid. I control everything with APT.

Steve
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Really great subtle processing on this. I really like it cause it's subtle without sacrificing details!
Great Job!!
Tom
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:26 pm Hi Graeme - Thanks for the nice words.

I use an ASI1600MM camera. That camera has built-in USB hub. There are two USB connections on the back of the camera where I plug in my Orion MMAG autoguider camera and the Filter Wheel. I then connect the ASI1600MM output to one of the WEme hub inputs (there are four USB inputs available). I connect the iOptron CEM40 mount to a second WEme input and the focus motor controller to a third WEme input. The output from the WEme hub (which is powered) is connected with a 40' ethernet cable to the other part of the WEme system which is a little box (unpowered) with an ethernet connector on one side(where the ethernet cable plugs in) and a short USB cable on the other side. That short USB cable connects to a USB input on my laptop. This system has been pretty reliable as long as I don't wiggle the USB connection into the laptop. I make sure now to prevent any perturbations to the USB input connection to the laptop. Aside from that the connection has been rock solid. I control everything with APT.

Steve

Thanks for the explanation Steve. I'm hoping to get round to trying my USB/Ethernet hub today.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:37 am
STEVE333 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:26 pm Hi Graeme - Thanks for the nice words.

Steve

Thanks for the explanation Steve. I'm hoping to get round to trying my USB/Ethernet hub today.

Regards

Graeme

Good luck Graeme. Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Cheers