First telescope recommendation for 6 year old + Dad

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
bmeeder
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

First telescope recommendation for 6 year old + Dad

Post by bmeeder »

Our 6 year old grandson asked for a telescope for Christmas. I remember having a very cheap one as a kid and basically couldn't see anything in the sky through it. We're hoping our grandson and his Dad might develop a joy for stargazing as a hobby in the years ahead. We purchased a Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ reflector scope. After it arrived, we got on some message boards and are worried this may not be the right instrument for them. People say the tripod base is hard to set-up and carry, and adjust. The eyepiece may not be easy to see through for a kid that young. Some people suggested a refractor instead of reflector for first scope. Now we don't know what to do. The dollar amount isn't really an issue. We just want them to have a good first experience. Can anyone who's knowledgeable help us make a decision? Thanks very much for your time!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: First telescope recommendation for 6 year old + Dad

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome to the forum!
Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ been reflector on the equatorial mount does not make IMO good beginner scope. I would suggest a small refractor on alt-azimuth mount. We had such setup when my daughter got interested in astronomy and it was very intuitive for her to operate. Unfortunately, many of scopes are out of stock now, but I found this model:

Orion VersaGo E-Series 90mm Altazimuth Refractor

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-V ... 130975.uts
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Good advice from Bigzmey above. A smaller refractor will be easier to handle than a 130 on an equatorial mount.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

I agree with the above. My first scope was a reflector on an equatorial mount. Collimation is a continual issue and sometimes not easy for a beginner. At first I found that the equatorial mount was not too intuitive and had to get used to it. I now have a refractor on a alt-az mount. No collimation issues and the mount is very intuitive. Hope this helps.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
bmeeder
Earth Ambassador

Post by bmeeder »

helicon wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:33 pm Good advice from Bigzmey above. A smaller refractor will be easier to handle than a 130 on an equatorial mount.
Thank you both very very much.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I also agree with Andrey. Keep it really simple to begin.

You definitely don't want a newtonian because you or her dad will forever be trying to hold her stable at the eyepiece.
I think that particular scope is a poor implementation of the Bird-Jones design, hard to accurately collimate.

Also recommend just buy economic Plosl eyepieces eg GSO superviews. Many of the fancier eyepiece variants are very sensitive to eye location.
An ordinary old Plosl is easy if not exciting to look through.

This article by Alan Dyer contains quite good commonsense advice.
https://astrogeartoday.com/top-ten-tips ... telescope/

In particular, the first tip states:-
TIP 1: Don’t Buy a Telescope!

Advice in my previous Ten Steps to Success article on AGT also applies here as a number one top tip when buying a telescope. In short, don’t! Not until you are ready.

You buy a telescope and excitedly set it up. Now what are you going to look at? The Moon is easy to find and spectacular! But after that? Do you know where the planets are?

Even if you buy a high-tech telescope that promises to find celestial wonders for you, getting it going often requires that you correctly identify bright stars. Telescopes that can auto-align without you “having to know a star in the sky” can still leave you lost in space, wondering what to look at. Do you know what a Messier object is? And which ones are best to look at?

Getting the most out of any telescope requires you have a basic familiarity with the sky. You’re ready for a telescope when: 1) You can identify the brightest stars by name, 2) Find the major planets, and 3) Point to the main constellations, and 4) to the locations of popular targets such as the Andromeda Galaxy and Orion Nebula.

That pre-requisite “Astro 101” knowledge comes from first spending a few months exploring the sky with a simple star chart, guidebook, and binoculars. Don’t spend money; spend time. That’s true whether you are buying for yourself or for a child. Help them (and you!) learn the sky first in family stargazing sessions under the stars. Discover the sky together.

This is a statement in the article that mirrors my thoughts every time I see a post on a facebook astro group that goes something like, "I am a complete newbie, I bought a computerised telescope but I don't know how to set it up. Please help." After numerous exchanges, we discover that the new owner can't recognise any stars, does not know how to polar align(if EQ scope). It is also a problem we are seeing with many of the rural telescope owners in the regional astronomy club we started earlier this year. It covers a triangular area roughly 100km on each side. I have helped a couple of my local people. One had owned an 8" GSO re-badge scope for a couple of years. The scope was way out of collimation, the finderscope not aligned. Worst of all, the plastic sleeve around the Crayford focuser focussing shaft had slipped and the whole focussing tube wouldn't hold position and could tilt 15 deg side to side. I didn't just fix it for him but I showed him what was wrong and how to fix and adjust everything in case it happened again. He does a lot of work on cars so once I explained it, i'm sure he'll be fine.

The point I am trying to make is that they will need to learn how to use and adjust the scope and how to find their way around the sky before they can use any scope successfully. They are lucky to have you to teach them. Simulation Curriculum currently has a 50% off special on Starry Night Complete Space 8, a beginner oriented planetarium program. Normally USD60, it is currently on special for half price. USD29.95. This is a computer based program not a tablet or mobile phone app. It looks to have plenty to help them learn. I use a more advanced version of this program USD250 and it's excellent. This product seems to have the same base level features of realistic sky rendering. The high end versions include computerised telescope control and catalogues that include very very faint stars, not neccessary for your grandson at this stage.
https://store.simulationcurriculum.com/ ... omy-pack-8

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Yes very important to have at least a basic knowledge
Agree a refractor on an alt/Az mount would be much better
I used to have the 130 astromaster its not a BJ scope , just a normal cheap reflector with a focal length of 650 so a f5 so not hard to collimate, however the early versions had a pathetic finder that made it virtually unusable and unfortunately like all cheap EQ mount scopes its undermounted so the scope always vibrates with the smallest of touch ,so for a 6 year year old virtually impossible to use
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Agreed. Small altaz refractor first. More complicated later, Perhaps binoculars?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:02 am Agreed. Small altaz refractor first. More complicated later, Perhaps binoculars?
This advice ok for adults and older children. They probably need something that dad can pre-point for the 6yo child. Young kids can't hold binoculars very steady and can't find things. Refractor on altaz probably better.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I can't hold my 10x50 binoculars steady enough in my hands. I need a tripod.
Also, like I've mentioned before, I don't think EQ-mount is that bad, but collimation of a reflector can be too much - so rather refractor. And rather eyepieces that do not "kidney-bean" easily.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Giving this thread a bit more thought and as money is not that important instead of a refractor a Mac will be better it is more compact and great for the planets and moon and this is what young kids want to see , one needs a very long refractor to do the same and they need a good mount , a small Mac will be fine on a cheaper mount and give better views of the major planets
When young children come to our home we use the C5 SCT on a SLT mount as the other scopes dont drop low enough and using a small step is no good
The SLT is a relatively cheap go to mount but works well with small mac or a SCT , and for kids its great to keep the target in view for some time , when we used the bigger scopes by the time they get used to it the object is gone , but with time they learn quick my neighbor 8 year old comes around and uses my manual EQ5 mount with a 150 mac on like a pro (once I move it for him to the correct place)
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Strongly suggest a manual alt-az mount - could even be a pan head on a photo tripod. Save the electronic sorcery for later. Just make sure the mount is steady. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to aim / focus a scope on a wobbly mount.

I prefer small, short tube achromatic refractors to any kind of reflector, but I do have a 90mm Maksutov for high power moon watching. It does take a little while for the Mak to cool down, depending on indoor vs. outdoor temperature. My refractors are ready to go as soon as I carry them out the door, but they're not that good for planet viewing.

As probably mentioned, you get what you pay for. Cheap optics are usually not good optics, but there are many reasonably priced scopes that give very acceptable performance.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

First, Welcome to the Forum!

Second, I kind of agree with everyone here. A manual refractor is the way to go for beginners.

I started out with a very simple manual reflector, and it evolved from there.

This is what I started out with.

Now, I have to admit, it was great for looking at planets. You could see the rings of Saturn easily, you could make out Mars, you could even make out the moons of Jupiter. Other than that, it wasn’t that good for many faint deep space objects, like nebula and galaxies. It had some problems with bright objects, like the Andromeda galaxy and the Orion nebula, but it was still a good telescope for beginners. The manual controls for the telescope were easy, and aligning the telescopes finder scope was easy also. It was also easy to get things into focus.

It was also fun looking for things in the sky the old-fashioned way without a computer.

I’m not trying to advertise anything, just so you know.

If you want my honest opinion, I would get a refractor with at least 80 mm of aperture. Not a reflector. I have an 80 mm Refractor myself, and I can see a lot with it.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi bmeeder and all. I agree with the above recommendations. I started in 1966 with a 3" alt-az reflector but I was not a child. I got back into astronomy again in 1974 with a 60mm refractor on alt-az mount. Of course later I started buying larger instruments with equatorial mounts. With a moderate sized refractor on an adjustable height tripod, the eyepiece will always be accessible to your grandson. I also recommend a sky atlas and/or planisphere to locate objects in the sky. Then later, after you learn the skies, and more about telescopes and optics, you can always upgrade to a larger and more sophisticated instrument. This is a normal and common growth cycle on any hobby endeavor. I hope this helps and the best of wishes on your future telescope purchase to you bmeeder, your son, and also your grandson. On any clear night there is always a great show above.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:58 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:02 am Agreed. Small altaz refractor first. More complicated later, Perhaps binoculars?
This advice ok for adults and older children. They probably need something that dad can pre-point for the 6yo child. Young kids can't hold binoculars very steady and can't find things. Refractor on altaz probably better.
Right about that..... slipped my mind we were talking about a 6 yo.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

One other thing to consider: a young child looking through the eyepiece of a telescope will not necessarily see what the telescope is presenting to them. They don't know how to move their head around to look on-axis nor do they know that if you look off-axis you won't see anything. So starting with the Moon is by far the best way to go. It's big, it's bright and you can tell if they're looking at the Moon by the illuminated disc that's surrounding their eyeball. Try this yourself, when you look through the eyepiece move off-axis, move your head so that you're looking through the eyepiece at an angle and you will see that the image goes away.

Hope this helps
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

What I was going to say. I will add a camera tripod and adaptor so that dad can find something then show it to his son.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Baurice wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:58 pm
What I was going to say. I will add a camera tripod and adaptor so that dad can find something then show it to his son.
Or phone adapter.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:03 pm
Baurice wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:58 pm
Or phone adapter.
Yes, that could work, too.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »