Giving Pixinsight a go.

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Giving Pixinsight a go.

Post by Gordon »

I've been a long time user of a combination of AP software. I rely mostly on StarTools and DSS. Both of which serve me well. A few years back I did a trial on Pixinsight but as is typical the trial period ran out before I had time to really give it a chance. I decided now my be my best bet to give it a go as I have lots of data to play with and some time available to play.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Giving Pixinsight a go.

Post by KathyNS »

The learning curve is a bit of a challenge, because (a) there are more processes than any human can reasonably learn; (b) names are obscure and non-intuitive; (c) while some settings have reasonable defaults, others don't; and (d) everything is adjustable. Convenience was never a design goal. Total adjustability was.

Learn which processes will give you a minimal workflow, and then pick up others as you need then. Harry's Videos are helpful for getting started.

I am sure you will quickly be pleased with the results.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin