PHD Help

Discuss guiding here
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

PHD Help

Post by lostone »

Ok it seems PHD2 has gone off the deep on on me. Over the last few nights I have been fighting with it. Goes great and that all of a sudden it goes wonky on me and I can't figure out where the issue is. I have even gone and removed it and re-installed it. Run calibration, Guiding assistant. PA is awesome at .09" I have verified the setting in my control software (Green Swamp Server) I have even shut down GSS and restarted EQMod and verified it's settings. I don't use the hand controller, but I did plug it in and ran through the setting to make sure they were good. I'm at a total loss here. If someone can help I'd really appreciate it. I just hope my mount isn't what's going wonky on me.
PHD going off the deep end.png
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: PHD Help

Post by Star Dad »

One thing I find that might help you - when YOU (not the software) select a star I always try and choose one that's around 50. Usually my PHD selects dimmer targets around 20-35 and it easily temporarily loses tracking causing it to go "wonky". It's one of the problems I am faced with when using NINA - because it selects too dim a target and the PHD corrections start literally going off the chart. I wonder if this phenomenon happens in programs similar to NINA.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: PHD Help

Post by Gordon »

Check to make sure that there are no cables snagging, A passing cloud? Are you dithering?

Are you using multi star guiding?

It might not hurt to check the balance on your mount. It appears something is causing a 'drag' on the mount.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.