Polar alignment software.

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Polar alignment software.

Post by Gordon »

I had a fence installed in my backyard to help keep the 'critters' out of my telescope area. I had to move my 'stepping stones' which I have marked for proper location for the tripod legs. Just for discussion. This has worked great for me. One polar alignment and I'm done. Each time I set up I place the tripod legs in the small 'dimples' I made in the stepping stones and away I go!

Since I had to move one of the stepping stones I had to make an adjustment to all of them and relocate the scope a few feet from where it was. I have used PHD2 and the drift method of polar alignment they offered a few years back. It's worked well for me in the past. I did notice that Sharpcap offered one but it required some manual movement of the scope. Also PHD2 has some new methods that work a bit different.

I just wondered what everyone else was using and what do you find as advantages or disadvantages for each method.

PS I got my setup done last night and my guiding is spot on!!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Polar alignment software.

Post by bobharmony »

Gordon - I have been using PHD2 drift alignment for a couple of years. Like you, I have my tripod foot locations marked so I can easily repeat the setup each time out. When I start drift alignment at the beginning of each session I am usually already within 10 arcminutes, so the adjustment needed is pretty small and I can usually wrap up the whole process in just a few minutes.

The first time it was available I ran PHD2s Polar Drift Align to get to a close starting point then used Drift Alignment to fine-tune the setup.

Seeing that you got set up last night I guess this is all a moot point :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I have been using Sharpcap for years and really like it. As long as you set up roughly within 5 degrees of the NCP, only movement of the alt/az knobs are needed. I just launch Skysafari on my phone and hold it against the back of the Orion SSAG to make sure that Polaris is close when I am setting up. Easy Peasy.

Positives: Super fast PA with almost no fuss. Just needs to be dark enough to resolve 15 or more stars in the fov (I use the guide camera) and I can get that well before astronomical darkness. Can PA to under 1 acrmin in about 5 minutes. Maybe another minute or two to get under 30".
Negatives: About $14/yr subscription. The mount needs to be reasonably balanced.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

+1 for SharpCapPro. Super easy to do and as Jim stated, within a few minutes you can get a super accurate PA. I can usually get with 5" in under 5 minutes.
I don't have a problem with the $14/year subscription cost as I use SharpCap Pro in all of our Virtual Star Parties and I use it every time for Polar Alignment. At $14/year, that's about the cheapest part of this hobby. And if that helps Robin Glover to continue updating and coming up with newer features, well worth it.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I use Ekos for polar alignment, it works like Sharpcap.

Before I started using Ekos I polar aligned with a DSLR, no computer:
Position the scope such that the center of rotation around RA and the NCP are within the FOV, using an eyepiece.
Rotate around RA taking a 30 sec image at 6400 ISO.
Mark the center of rotation on the LCD with a piece of clear tape with a needle hole burnt into it.
Taking 2 sec shots, change Alt/Az until the hole is on the NCP.
You can eyeball the NCP using an asterism easily visible at 2 sec, see Stellarium.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

I use to use a Polemaster for my alignment, I have always had good results with it. But I have since moved to SharpCap for my alignment. I run it twice each time back to back. Do it once slewing the scope 90 degrees, make adjustment. I then run it again this time slewing the mount back to home and 90% of the time I don't have to make another adjustment.

Now that NINA has a polar alignment routing in it, I decided to give it a test last night and the darn thing was spot on and I was able to get it down to 0.08 arcm. I then tried another feature it has, I slewed the scope to a random point in the sky and check the Polar Align from this location and ran the routine. It got me darn near the same results. That was with my ES 152 with a FL of 1216, I'll have to put my Edge 11 on my other mount and see if it gets me the same results since it does it via plate solve using ASTAP.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

N.I.N.A has a new Polar Alignment process called Three Point Polar Alignment that doesn't even require a view of Polaris. It's only supposed to take about 5 minutes. I haven't checked it out yet but hope to some time this week weather permitting...

Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I'm going to give N.I.N.A. a try once my new mount arrives. Later this week!!! :dance: :clap:
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I’ve just been having those nights lately. First try at NINA 3 point alignment. I had software issues (not NINA) and finally got to run it. I really like the concept. But I didn’t get to make the adjustments to the mount. Tried again last night and watched the light cloud cover passing by, then my motor focuser stopped working. Now I’m back to a few days/nights of rain.

I will get there.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

I got lucky today with the weather. It took me a while to get to the screen cap below but I got there. Most of that time was me learning not to crank the knobs and make sure I did it in the correct direction. I also learned that while I can't really see any stars where Polaris is supposed to be, my scope can. NINA was plate solving to a pretty much blank sky.

Keep in mind I'm still a newbie, so my question is this, how close do you need to be? After I performed a one star alignment with SynScan using Jupiter, I could see Jupiter drift after I turned on Sidereal tracking. I took a couple of 180 second test subs, no guiding, and had some serious elongated stars in the area of NGC 6995. I knew I was in the right area as I cold start to make out the DSO.
TPPA.jpg
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro