Let's see your reports!
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

nFA observing report 27 Sept 2021

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Long time no report. It’s not a matter of not observing (weather and smoke permitting) but more because I doubt that my routine of simply revisiting old friends is of great interest to readers and it’s not of much interest for me to write up either. ;)

In any case, despite having new kit to test, I’ve been thwarted by the infamous smokescreen. I don’t like testing under conditions that aren’t cloud free, better than average transparency and at least average seeing conditions. For testing out tonight the object of interest is the Altair Astro 1.25” Tri-Band OSC Filter. It’s designed for imaging, and I might get to that use, but for tonight I wanted to see if I could use it on faint fuzzies visually. I’m looking for means of defeating recently installed neighbor floodlights that impinge on my usual setup spot.

At 10pm I found a spot that was partly shaded by a tree, donned my observing vest/cowl and proceeded.

So, the selected kit for the evening consisted of:
• VMC110L with the Orion EZ Finder II red dot finder and the Meade HD60 25mm eyepiece and Antares 0.5x focal reducer in the up port on the flip mirror, the Vixen 1.25” diagonal on the through port
• Orion Star Seeker III Mount
• 24mm Panoptic with the Altair Astro 1.25” Tri-Band OSC Filter
• An assortment of pseudo Masuyama eyepieces, in this case consisting of
o Orion 25mm Ultrascopic
o Meade 12.4 mm Super Plossl
o Orion 10mm Ultrascopic
o Kasai 5mm AstroPlan

With the VMC110L these combinations give:

Meade HD60 25mm with Antares 0.5x focal reducer
M=20, TFOV=2.9 deg, exit pupil = 5.32mm
Panoptic 24mm M=43, TFOV=1.58 deg, exit pupil = 2.55mm
Orion Us 25mm M=41, TFOV=1.26 deg, exit pupil = 2.66mm
Meade SP 12.4mm M=83, TFOV=0.62 deg, exit pupil = 1.32mm
Orion US 10mm M=103, TFOV=0.50 deg, exit pupil = 1.06mm
Kasai AP 5mm M= 207, TFOV=0.25 deg, exit pupil = 0.53mm

I had some difficulty getting set up. My Celestron Li battery apparently was out of juice. However, I had read that a TSS member (I forget who, it was longish ago, but thanks!) had recommended a more compact battery from TalentCell on Amazon. So alignment proceeded after the substitution.

First on the agenda was to check out the views of DSOs using the three 24-25mm eyepieces with the Altair filter dedicated to the Panoptic. M11, M13, and M57 all checked out fine with the background darker with the filter. The M57 view gave a good taste of things to come as the filter, to be expected, really helped it pop against the darker background. I had to play averted vision games in the unfiltered eyepieces.

Then I turned to the region about gamma Cyg (Sadr). This was a sheer delight as, aside from the intrinsic beauty of the region, it affirmed that using the Altair filter for visual observation was an excellent means of defeating the local floodlights. Although indiscernible in the unfiltered eyepieces, IC 1318 popped in the filtered Pan. I was surprised to see the three lobed bright side (facing Sadr) the dark lane away from Sadr and the single bright region just beyond that. In disbelief I swept through the field and verified that the nebulosity moved with Sadr. Success!

So, I checked on my old friend M29, for some reason the “water tank” cluster just tickles me, and on to the Crescent Nebula, NGC 6888. There, a repeat of the joy closer to Sadr was found.

On to Saturn and Jupiter. This involved having to move kit to the unobscured southern sky site on the property. The Panoptic and Altair filter were retired for the night. I didn’t realign just pushed buttons until the red-dot suggested success.

Saturn and Titan were fine but not great. Seeing did not permit resolving the Cassini division, for instance. Nevertheless, the angle between Saturn and the Sun made for the nice illusion of Saturn being a 3-dimensional sphere due to the distribution of brightness over the disk. It looked like the Kasai 5mm AP was too much for conditions.

On to Jupiter. 3 of the Galilean moons were visible, Io close, Ganymede further, and Calisto outermost as I IDed later from a crude sketch. I could make out two equatorial bands. One band seemed interestingly discontinuous. Again, the usability of eyepieces maxed out with the Orion Us 10mm. The Kasai 5mm AP was not going to get any use. Later the discontinuity in the equatorial band was IDed as Europa also. I called it quits about half past midnight.

I have one nice neighbor who since the other neighbor has installed floods offered the use of the back adjacent lot of the house as a set up spot. Very kind.

I’m a believer in “never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity”. I once heard the neighbor with the floodlights discuss with partner about how she didn’t want me in my back yard at night. Partner: “But he’s just using his equipment.” “I don’t care.” Then the floodlights. Tonight, free of the hound of the Baskervilles, nonetheless I overheard:
“Guess who’s back?” and “Is he going to be out there all night?”

Yes, there’s stupidity and malice and there is also malicious stupidity. :lol:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: nFA observing report 27 Sept 2021

Post by kt4hx »

Nice to see you out observing nFA. Some neighbors are hard to figure. I guess his opinion is that your yard is not yours to use as you wish. Perhaps he is afraid you might witness him burying a body in his backyard! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

kt4hx wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:31 am Nice to see you out observing nFA. Some neighbors are hard to figure. I guess his opinion is that your yard is not yours to use as you wish. Perhaps he is afraid you might witness him burying a body in his backyard! :lol:
Either that or spectroscopically detect the products of his meth kitchen! :lol:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Sorry to hear about your neighbor troubles. My neighbors across the street had a flood light in their side yard. I explained to them my astrophotography in the driveway, asked them if they could shield the light and they simply made it light activated so it's on only if they need it, which is rare. So I suggest you visit them in the daytime and explain thyat this is your hobby and what you need (them not to do).

IMHO nobody has the right to throw an excessive amount of photons in your backyard. it's an annoyance just like noise. Especially if the lady does this deliberately to chase you out of your backyard you could call the sheriff or take them to court. it's not uncommon to have the sheriff involved in such neighbor disputes. I did this once for an unrelated matter and it worked. Write down what you heard and when, try to record it if you can. It's horrible but it may pay off.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

@SkyHiker thanks for your appreciation of the situation and the suggestions. It hadn't occurred to me to record the remarks.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good that you could get some viewing in and the filter has worked for you.
Unfortunate about the neighbors though.
I usually have the opposite problem, I set up a telescope and the neighbors are lined up to look.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:13 am [...] more because I doubt that my routine of simply revisiting old friends is of great interest to readers and it’s not of much interest for me to write up either.
:lol: I'm with you on that - M35, 36, 37, 38, 42, Pleiades, Hyades, Betegeuse, Orion's belt. I've not been inclined to write anything in my log book either.

Bummer about the neighbors. Mine have been ok but since I go out pre-dawn, they're most likely all still asleep and don't know I'm out there.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very nice and thorough report notFritz. Also, your judicious use of filters enabled some great nebular views. Congrats on winning the TSS VROD for the day (10/3/2021)!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Congrats on the VROD!
I had to google about IC 1318 and the filter.

That kind of things between neigbours are always bad. There's no winning. You both probably have to continue living next to each other, and the relations won't get warmer. I wonder if that neighbour is a "professional complainer"? They tend to need some control over everything and everyone around. Nasty people.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

A good report nFA (under the circumstances) and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD.

Your neighbours don't sound like very nice people, that is such a shame.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:31 pm Good that you could get some viewing in and the filter has worked for you.
Unfortunate about the neighbors though.
I usually have the opposite problem, I set up a telescope and the neighbors are lined up to look.
Back in VA it was more like your experience, I'd get folks asking to drop by to take a look.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:24 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:13 am [...] more because I doubt that my routine of simply revisiting old friends is of great interest to readers and it’s not of much interest for me to write up either.
:lol: I'm with you on that - M35, 36, 37, 38, 42, Pleiades, Hyades, Betegeuse, Orion's belt. I've not been inclined to write anything in my log book either.

Bummer about the neighbors. Mine have been ok but since I go out pre-dawn, they're most likely all still asleep and don't know I'm out there.
I'd try pre dawn except that I have to keep to a sleep hygiene schedule. It's only about a half year more here.... ;)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:41 pm Very nice and thorough report notFritz. Also, your judicious use of filters enabled some great nebular views. Congrats on winning the TSS VROD for the day (10/3/2021)!
Oh, gee, thanks! That's very kind. I've a bit of a backlog of kit testing to work through. There'll be more soon conditions permitting.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:13 pm Congrats on the VROD!
I had to google about IC 1318 and the filter.
I also have a 2" Altair Astro Quad Band filter to try that I hope will give somewhat brighter nebula images. IC 1318 is a good one.
That kind of things between neigbours are always bad. There's no winning. You both probably have to continue living next to each other, and the relations won't get warmer. I wonder if that neighbour is a "professional complainer"? They tend to need some control over everything and everyone around. Nasty people.
Nasty is fitting. I'm planning on moving in the summer.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:29 pm A good report nFA (under the circumstances) and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD.

Your neighbours don't sound like very nice people, that is such a shame.
Thanks, much.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great report! Glad you were able to get out. Given the frequency of my outreach, I tend to view, and report on, many of the same objects. We tend to share the "best" objects with the first timers!

In your case, given your thorough comparison testing, it's good to view objects familiar to all of us. Keep up the great work!!

And congrats on the VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:12 pm Great report! Glad you were able to get out. Given the frequency of my outreach, I tend to view, and report on, many of the same objects. We tend to share the "best" objects with the first timers!

In your case, given your thorough comparison testing, it's good to view objects familiar to all of us. Keep up the great work!!

And congrats on the VROD!

Dave
Thank you, very much.
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Well done Fritz!
I enjoyed the read.

Congratulations on VROD.
Peace to you, and more clear skies up your way Sir 😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session and report nFA! I have checked specs on Altair Astro 1.25” Tri-Band OSC Filter and its spectrum is similar to some of UHC filters like DGM NPB, which also pass H-alpha in addition to H-beta and OIII bands. No wonder it works nicely for visual.

I can sympathize to the neighbor situation. We had a guy downstairs from our condo who would jump out and start cooking hotdogs on barbeque right below our balcony every time I would come out to observe. I heard his partner trying to reason with him for no use.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:06 pm Nice session and report nFA! I have checked specs on Altair Astro 1.25” Tri-Band OSC Filter and its spectrum is similar to some of UHC filters like DGM NPB, which also pass H-alpha in addition to H-beta and OIII bands. No wonder it works nicely for visual.

I can sympathize to the neighbor situation. We had a guy downstairs from our condo who would jump out and start cooking hotdogs on barbeque right below our balcony every time I would come out to observe. I heard his partner trying to reason with him for no use.
Yes, it's not surprising that the tri-band works. I hope to try the quad-band soon which should be less aggressive.

Some folks just delight in playing spoiler.....