Collimation change by off-center secondary's weight

Discussion of optical systems and their characteristics.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Collimation change by off-center secondary's weight

Post by SkyHiker »

I always wondered if the collimation would be maintained when the scope changes position. Tonight I tried it and found that this is not the case. With the 12" GSO Newt in the home position I rotated +-90 degrees around RA. The laser spot that was right in the center of the donut moved slightly above the donut.

Looking at my secondary it is clearly offset towards the side away from the focuser, byt about 1/4" or so. This offset is apparently enough for the spider vanes to flex a bit - though they look quite sturdy and tight. Maybe the effect is not as bad when the OTA is pointing up instead of pointing at the NCP.

Not sure what to do about this. Of course I casn recollimate each time I change the target but then I have to take the optical train out, refocus, etcetera. For now I'll ignore it and see what I get. Any suggestions are welcome.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Collimation change by off-center secondary's weight

Post by JayTee »

Okay, so you say the laser spot moved. What did the out-of-focus star tell you about the location of the secondary?
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

JayTee wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:00 am Okay, so you say the laser spot moved. What did the out-of-focus star tell you about the location of the secondary?
I did this while it was still light but I've never been big on star tests, the laser lets me test the secondary and primary separately so it gives me more information. Zooming in on the subs most of ghem look good but there were a few with fans. That appears to depend on what filter is used though.

I should take a ladder next time and see what it looks like when the OTA points up.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

It could be the spider. It could be the secondary holder sagging.
It could be the focuser flexing the tube differently (many people have had this issue until the tube was reinforced).
It could be a maladjusted focuser and adjusting the sideway in the drawtube could solve it.
It could be the laser moving in an oversized hole in the focuser--fixable by having a 2-screw attachment in the focuser.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor