TSS Monthly DSO Challenge – August 2021

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Monthly DSO Challenge – August 2021

Post by kt4hx »

Welcome back and here we are in another new month, with another new list of objects for you to pursue. Last month we relied heavily on the Messier list, but this time we only have one such object. For the northerners among us, we shall visit the constellation of Cygnus the swan and Cepheus the king. For our southern friends, we shall swing by Pavo the celestial peacock and Telescopium the telescope. So let’s dig into the offerings for this month and do some observing, sketching and imaging – your choice! :)

Northern Celestial Hemisphere

Messier 29 / NGC 6913 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=6.6, size=10.0’, class= III3p):
Monsieur Messier discovered this object 257 years ago, on 29 July 1764. While not the richest open cluster in his list, it is nonetheless a pretty little grouping that is roughly trapezoidal in shape. Well detached in a rather rich field, it is located less than 2° SSE of mag 2.2 Gamma Cygni (Sadr). It carries the curious nickname of the “Cooling Tower” which I guess is up to one’s imagination.

NGC 6939 (Cepheus, open cluster, mag=7.8, size=10.0’, class= I1m):
In the western extension of Cepheus, that juts westward between Draco and Cygnus one can find this nice open cluster. Discovered by William Herschel in 1798, he described it as "a beautiful compressed cluster of small stars.” It is indeed a pretty and well compressed cluster that responds well to increases in aperture and magnification, revealing more and more resolution with the persistent presence of unresolved members forming a gauzy backdrop.

NGC 6946 (Cygnus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=8.8, size=11.5’x9.8’, SBr=13.8):
This showpiece face-on barred spiral has the unique nickname of the “Fireworks Galaxy” because of the 10 (so far) supernovae that have been observed within it during the 20th and 21st centuries. Discovered by William Herschel during the same sweep in 1798 as NGC 6939, the two objects lie only about 29.5’ apart, with the cluster positioned northwest of the galaxy. They form an interesting contrast in a lower magnification wide field view. Don’t let the brighter visual magnitude of NGC 6946 fool you, as it can be challenging from more light polluted areas due to its large angular size and face-on orientation. This lowers its surface brightness to the point that it is frequently seen as only a very dim hazy patch that struggles to overcome the sky glow imparted by artificial lighting. Where it really shines, visually, is in darker locations where its lower surface brightness is not as much of an issue. Under those conditions it can be an obvious large oval glow that may reveal delicate and diaphanous spiral structure to the eye.

Southern Celestial Hemisphere

NGC 6584 (Telescopium, globular cluster, mag=7.9, size=6.6’, class=8:
The celestial telescope is one of 14 constellations still in use today that were created by Nicolas-Louis de Lacaille to honor key inventions, in this case the telescope. Though not a bright constellation (brightest star Alpha is mag 3.5), we nonetheless enter its realm in pursuit of this small globular cluster. Discovered by James Dunlop in 1826, he described it as “a pretty bright round nebula.” Located about 3.5° SSW of mag 4.1 Zeta Telescopii, it forms a triangle with two 7th mag stars to its north and northwest. In smaller apertures one might see some subtle core brightness, and even with larger aperture it yields only very modest resolution of member stars.

NGC 6752 (Pavo, globular cluster, mag=5.3, size=29.0’, class=6):
South of Telescopium one enters the realm of the celestial peacock. Though not a particularly bright constellation as a whole, its main star, Alpha Pavonis (Peacock), does shine brightly at magnitude 1.9. First up is this showpiece globular cluster. Another Dunlop discovery from 1826, it is a stunning visual and imaging target that may reveal significant resolution in its halo and across the core with moderately large aperture (8 to 12 inches). When seen nicely elevated above the horizon it can be a naked eye object and easily swept up in small instruments. Images reveal a dizzying array of stellar points. Look for this stunning visual treat 1.5° east of mag 5.1 Omega Pavonis, and be prepared for a visual treat!

NGC 6744 (Pavo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=8.5, size=20.1’x12.9’, SBr=14.3):
We wrap up this month by staying in Pavo to hunt down this beautiful barred spiral galaxy. Once again, Dunlop gets the credit in 1826 for its discovery. As with NGC 6946 in Cygnus, don’t be fooled by its bright visual magnitude. Another face-on spiral with a larger angular size ensures its surface brightness is lower. Therefore in areas with noticeable light pollution, or when it is at lower elevations, its visual appearance becomes muted. In darker locations it may reveal very subtle hints of spiral structure in moderate apertures, but it is not boldly evident, even in larger apertures. Overall it is a delicate diaphanous oval glow that has a ghostly appearance to the eye.

Okay folks, there you go. I've given you just a few treats to add to your observing/imaging plans this month. I know they are not new to everyone, but it never hurts to revisit an old friend from time to time. Though our sky friends get older just like we do, they always seem to look the same and no worse for the wear of aging – unlike us! :) Good luck and please report any observations, sketches and/or images of the above objects here so that we can share in your successes.
Last edited by kt4hx on Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: TSS Monthly DSO Challenge – August 2021

Post by KingNothing13 »

Nice list Alan, thanks for posting it. I have logged 2 of the 3 Northern objects, but will go for all 3 at some point this month, assuming I can.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

KingNothing13 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:37 pm Nice list Alan, thanks for posting it. I have logged 2 of the 3 Northern objects, but will go for all 3 at some point this month, assuming I can.
Thanks Brett and look forward to hear how your efforts pan out. The last one can be a toughie when dealing with LP, but from our dark site it is a delicate beauty.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Same as that Brett! I have 2 of 3 in the bank. Should just be able to spy the Cepheus open cluster in my bins for the hattrick!

Another fine list Alan. I look forward to seeing what I can do with it!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:52 pm Same as that Brett! I have 2 of 3 in the bank. Should just be able to spy the Cepheus open cluster in my bins for the hattrick!

Another fine list Alan. I look forward to seeing what I can do with it!

Regards

Graeme
Thank you Graeme. Yeah, give that cluster a shot with your bins. Hopefully some images too! :)

I'm going to post my notes for the objects to give folks some perspective on how they appear visually.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

For those interested I have posted some of my personal observational notes for this month's objects in this thread. Hopefully they will prove useful for gaining some perspective of what to expect.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=19670
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:56 pm It carries the curious nickname of the “Cooling Tower” which I guess is up to one’s imagination.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-58047126

There is a resembelence!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

I have not done this DSO Challenge before but now that Astro-Dark is almost back to Ireland, I think I will give it a go this month. looking on stellarium I should get both NGC6939 and NGC 6946 in the same field with my SW 80ED and ASI2600mc. All I need is to get a clear sky.

Thanks for setting this up Alan

Rgds

David
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Jockinireland wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:00 am I have not done this DSO Challenge before but now that Astro-Dark is almost back to Ireland, I think I will give it a go this month. looking on stellarium I should get both NGC6939 and NGC 6946 in the same field with my SW 80ED and ASI2600mc. All I need is to get a clear sky.

Thanks for setting this up Alan

Rgds

David
Thanks David, and welcome to the TSS Monthly DSO Challenge! Glad you are getting your darkness back and looking forward to your submissions. We are here every month, obviously, so please check back each month. Also spread the word to your astro-friends to check it out each month. We welcome visual observations, sketching and imaging. Its all good here. Even if one posts their results as part of a normal observing session in either the Reports, Sketching or Astrophotography forums, you are quite welcome to post your results for the Monthly Challenge objects here as well - no problem with double posting in this case. :)
Alan

Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

I was referred to this post by a friend. They saw my image of M 29 and said I should post it here.

Here it is. I took it a while ago, using my phone and an app called nightcap. 80 mm Refractor telescope with a 900 mm focal length. 25 mm Eyepiece.
E3F16DD5-2830-4EDD-A240-244C5BDCC492.jpeg
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Jnicholes wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:49 pm I was referred to this post by a friend. They saw my image of M 29 and said I should post it here.

Here it is. I took it a while ago, using my phone and an app called nightcap. 80 mm Refractor telescope with a 900 mm focal length. 25 mm Eyepiece.
I thank you for your submission and please thank your friend for us as well for steering you to this forum. You image is a nice rendition of this cluster. Please be sure to check back each month and feel free to submit your images here, even if you have already posted them in the AP forum. In this case double submissions are appreciated and encouraged.
Alan

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Date: Tuesday August 10
Location 34S, 148E
Instrument: 18” f5.5 Dobsonian
Eyepieces used: Nagler 31mm(80x, 1 deg), Nagler 17mm(, Denkmeier D14mm
FOV-table.png
Seeing: 3/5
Transparency 6/10 cleared to 8/10
Bortle: Started as 3 went to 2

August TSS DSO challenge

Northern Celestial Hemisphere

Messier 29 / NGC 6913 (Cygnus, open cluster, mag=6.6, size=10.0’, class= III3p):
NGC 6939 (Cepheus, open cluster, mag=7.8, size=10.0’, class= I1m):
NGC 6946 (Cygnus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=8.8, size=11.5’x9.8’, SBr=13.8):
All three nth hemi objects too low to observe – one low and behind trees other two below nth horizon

Southern Celestial Hemisphere
NGC 6584
(Telescopium, globular cluster, mag=7.9, size=6.6’, class=8:
Globular has low surface brightness and is not condensed. Stars well resolved despite low brightness.

NGC 6752 (Pavo, globular cluster, mag=5.3, size=29.0’, class=6):
Globular of moderate condensation medium surface brightness well resolved in Nag 17

NGC 6744 (Pavo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=8.5, size=20.1’x12.9’, SBr=14.3):
Large spiral galaxy. Appeared larger with Nag 17 than with D14mm probably due to exit pupil and low surface brightness of outer part of arms.

A full report of all of last nights observing targets can be found in the observing reports section:-
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19836
Joe Cali
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thank you Joe. Your contribution is very much appreciated.
Alan

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Forgot to add my pics to the August event. Captured, by accident just testing my new Rokinon 135mm telephoto.

M29, in the corner of a right triangle between Sadr, gamma Cyg, and the Clam Shell, opps that's the Crescent. Very small and almost overwhelmed by the star field as a whole.

NGCs 6939/ 6946, in same fov, the open cluster is nice and tight with many equal magnitude colorful stars, nice catch. The Fireworks galaxy is among the largest in the sky, top couple dozen anyway, but very low surface brightness, like a more distant M101.
aug_ch.jpg
Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thank you so much Steve. Glad you remembered and posted them for us to see. That view of NGC 6939/6946 is a classic! The curious contrast of open cluster and galaxy in the same view about 40' apart is beautiful.
Alan