Discuss solar related topics.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

SOLARHEADS - SEPTEMBER Chat Group

Post by FRAZ »

Welcome to September

Please feel free to spew all thoughts Solar and otherwise. We are not bothered here but keep it clean and respectful.

Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.
PST mod stage 2 - Quark on extended loan and yet to repay with value ;)
Camera- ASi 174 mono no tilt required.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
Lots of nighttime scopes and stuff but focus on the sun.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: SOLARHEADS - SEPTEMBER Chat Group

Post by FRAZ »

I wanna crack off September with a who is who and starting with me. :)

Fraser but better known as Fraz. I am 50 and pretty young in this category. I worked in Computer Programming (games) for a dozen years or so before managing Sony games testing for about the same amount of time. I am Scottish but from Liverpool for the last 25 years.

Giving the post and group a sense of identity will build the community and share the diversity we have. Please share.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

A massive shout out from me this month to NFA who continues to bring us amazing insight and educated talk the talk from the astrophysics world.

I
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

I'll throw a little bio here since FRAZ did above.

I'm a retired engineer living in Las Vegas. I've been shooting the sun for eight or nine years. I started with a ton of help from my mentor, Keith (aka "Tillibobs"). Along the way, I met FRAZ, and he also provided a lot of guidance... We've been friends ever since.

I have a Lunt 60, but in recent years have started using a Quark-chromosphere. I have four refractors of different focal ratios that I use with the Quark... f/5.9 thru f/9. My capture software is SharpCap, stacking is with AutoStakkert, and "wavelet" adjusting is with ImPPG. Most of my work beyond ImPPG is done in Photoshop CC.

Having this discussion thread is a good idea. I hope others will join in... We can constructively criticize without anyone getting overly excited.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

I posted this at the end of the Aug discussion thread, but thought some may have missed it. This is a basic description of how to process solar images. I wrote it a couple of years ago to help a new solar-head.
BASIC SOLAR PROCESSING.pdf
(960.36 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Here's my twopeneth.
I'm Keith, one of the originals,I'm 80 yrs young now and, though I haven't looked at the Sun for a while. I check in here to see what;s going on on a daily basis. I've had a few jobs over the years to suit my galloping deafness and retired 15 years ago.
For those interested the Solar section was set up by Bill ( olddog ). We were originally tucked away in another sub forum and it was decided that we should have our own " place " to air our ( sometimes ) irreverent banter. We had a load of fun back then.
Bill became disenchanted and set up a Solar blog with Mike and I was persuaded to front the group. I've been battling Cancer for the last couple of years, had one operation but it's spreading and I'm currently half way through a second course of chemotherapy and hopefully I'll be on palliative care for a while. That's why I haven't posted any images for a while. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that all of my images are grabbed through an open window in my 2nd floor apartment.
I've met Fraz a couple of times and he's a " good un " and I like the way he's doing things and wish him well.
I wouldn't say I've mentored Fraz and John,as they've both tried to teach me how to use PS and have forgotten more than I know about .it
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

Me next.
I am Jeff, I am a retired computer programmer (maintenance and gov't billing) worked for the last 30 years for Quest Diagnostics the blood testing lab.
I am a former US Navy Photographer, 1972-76. I had a stroke in 1999 at age 46 but most wouldn't realize it meeting me. I am a cancer survivor. I had 3 boys, one passed away at age 29 of a seizure, Sean Patrick, he had just gotten his Masters in Education as a STEM (Science) teacher and was also working as an EMT for Fallon in Boston, he was one of the first responders at the Boston Marathon bombing. but back to me.
I am mostly a nature photographer, birds in flight, but also love solar imaging, I like DSO also but hate staying up at night so mostly use SLOOH a remote scope in Chile and the Canary Islands. My websites are www.jeffpadell.com (all around images) and www.solarhead.net mostly solar

I started with a Lunt LS50 and thanks to John (lowjiber) figured out how to image with it and added a feathertouch to it, then I got a Quark, the one I have seems to like Proms when set at +2 or +3 and chromo at +4 and +5, I then not being happy or wanting more got a LS80 and double stack unit. I use the two Lunts for outreach as they are better for looking through than the Quark IMOP. IF we ever get a couple hours of clear sky I want to set up the LS80 again and image through it.

My latest this is going to be using the dual scope holder I just got with a gift card I won at the Astronomical League convention, I want to put my LS50 and with my Orion ST80 or Stellarvue SV80 on it, the LS50 for full disk Halpha and the 80mm for CaK and white light
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I shoot solar to please myself but I still look for feedback. I posted some images to CN and some of the feedback I received as that we should be striving to mimic what you see in the EP rather than images that are crisp but not over sharpened (although it is easy to over sharpen by mistake) and also just as important to show the entire chromosphere on the limb even if it is blown out.

I like to show just a hint of the double limb, chromosphere, to highlight the spicules and proms. Also what I like is sharper than through the EP, sort of like seeing it from space. After all in DSO photography we don't try to mimic an EP view where we would only show a fuzzy white object and we try to get the best and sharpest we can without overdoing it. When I do images of craters on the moon I go for sharp not EP.

I will often show 3 of the same image to people, 1st EP view (soft focus as it were) and then what I like and then one that is over sharpened and every person I ask except on some of the forums choose the middle one. My wife always says why is it fuzzy?

Another thing, when I show people images with the spicules just resting or just barely above the limb they prefer the images to the one showing even a small ring of the chromosphere double limb, just my observations.

In bird photography especially birds in flight you want TACK SHARP images especially the eye, it should give you a paper cut and if the bird is too far away to get that kind of sharpness due to the atmosphere you don't take the shot (check out the birds at www.jeffpadell.com )

There is a fine line between sharp and oversharp and I can find it hard to hit. Often the proms look best slightly soft other times sharper. The bottom line is I am really shooting for myself, just like with nature.

Anyhow here is an example of EP view vs what we get with a camera (just because) and then a couple solar, the one virtually all non-forum members like and then that I like although even a little less double limb might be better

Finally I have never really gotten a solar image I am totally happy with

I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Hi. I’m Steve, 58 yrs old, and still working. Though I tinker in solar photography, my main interest is in solar activity and it’s effects on space weather. I have 43 years of mostly amateur experience with a few years of professional mixed in with the sun’s effects on the Earth, more specifically the ionosphere.

Thanks.

Steve
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

The Vegas valley temps are dropping into the 90's this week, and I'm starting to get ready to do some more imaging.

There is a ton of activity on the west side this morning...
GONG SEP 1ST.jpg
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Of course there is a lot of activity we are clouded out again! We might get an hour here and there every week or so!

And then there is the high haze from the western fires, haven't seen a blue sky in months, they are all milky white

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well, not much to say about what I do for a living. I've been taking white-light images since 2017 with my 1997 f/11.4 Celestron C80-HD with CG4 mount and Baader visual solar film. For my camera, I started with a Canon T3, that died and I bought a second-hand Canon 550D (T2i) with very low mileage; it actually does a better job with solar than my old T3. For processing, I use PIPP, AS3, ImPPG (thanks John!) with some final mild tweaking to taste in PS 2020 with the Camera Raw filter.

I re-processed some old images the other week of ol' Sol. From 2017; can you believe I shot everything in JPG?!! How embarrassing. And then I would pick the best of the lot, try and sharpen it up with PSP9, and that was it.

Memories of Solar Cycle 24 from September 30, 2017, featuring AR's 2681, 82 & 83. Two shots of processing then and now. I still had 4 JPG images; I stacked them recently and did the best I could; at least I've learned a few (OK, a lot) of things since. :lol: Again, thank you John!!
09-30-2017.jpg
09-30-2017_Redo.jpg

Here's the SpaceWeather.com info for that day

This past Monday (Aug 30th, this year...) I got in early and managed to get a few shots of AR2860. Not the best of skies, but I took what I could. The best 15 stacked and processed; planets to scale:
Sun_Aug_30_2021_s.jpg

Full size image here

And a close up:
AR2860.jpg

Biggest AR region I've personally seen since 2017.

Moving forward, I would really like a 1.25" Baader Solar Continuum Filter (single or double-stack; not sure which way to go with that on my scope) and a Baader Calcium K-Line Filter. I really like the images I've seen taken in the Calcium-K wavelength ( nicely done Ben!!). Of course I'd need a photographic-only white light solar filter, but part and parcel. An HA scope/Daystar would be my ultimate to go along with the white-light/Calcium-K.

However, that's out of reach at the moment; this pandemic hasn't been good to us here money wise. Still, I do have hope and a bright (read sunny) outlook. For now, I do the best I can with what I have and am happy with that :D

I do consider myself a solarhead, even though I'm limited to white-light. With the current Solar cycle under way, I'm looking forward to seeing more on the Sun, and as the colder temps approach in the next few months, hopefully some better clarity as well. Days like this below are the best; this is from Jan 31st, 2019. No forest-fire smoke or haze at -20C (-4F). I was out taking shots of a daytime Moon and Venus. The Sun was bland that day.
80mm.jpg
MoonVenus.png

Daytime astronomy can be really rewarding if you know "what's up" and even with minimal equipment. I highly recommend it to everyone, just be safe when viewing! :D

Thanks for a fun thread, Fraz!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

As a side note, from my on-line calendar for September 1st, 2021:

162 years ago, in 1859:
First day of the Carrington Event; one of the most powerful geomagnetic solar storms on record.

Don't know what the Carrington event was about? Click here :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Thanks for the wonderful bio and images, Mark. You've come a long way over the years, and I've had the pleasure of seeing much of your work.

Whether you shoot in Ha or White Light, you're a solar-head for sure.:)

Clear Skies
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

I am finally getting the time to go through the images from the 28th. Here is the first of many from this view.
I framed the proms which were really faint and adjusted everything to make them stronger. Very pleased with the result. The image was much bigger but there was a nasty bright spot that I had to cut out.
Sun280821impA copy.jpg
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

That's a beauty, Fraz. In the middle it looks like a dragon shooting fire on a bunch of penguins.

It's still WAY too hot to shoot here. I'll be joining with contributions toward the end of September.

Clear Skies
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Yeah John, I was looking for lots of images in this one too.

For me the spicule layer is absolutely immaculate, pin sharp and detailed.
The continuity between surface and Prominences is personally very appealing.

This was a very hazy day here in the uk and I took many shots in the hope I could salvage something. I seem to have got very lucky very early in the day.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

FRAZ wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:58 am ...For me the spicule layer is absolutely immaculate, pin sharp and detailed.
The continuity between surface and Prominences is personally very appealing.
---
I totally agree.

I like your saved dimensions (1456x576) too. That really allows one to see the spicules all the way across the shot. I often struggle with the final sizing to fit on the forum without surpassing the image limits. Spicules are hard to capture well. I've seen a ton of really good images that just didn't show them as well as that image does.

Clear Skies
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

An inverted mono version of that prom.
Sun280821impAinv.jpg
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Gotta love inverts. That one lets the surface activity shine along with the great prom. Thanks much!!!

Clear Skies