First telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
markgross
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

First telescope

Post by markgross »

Sorry to post what has already been asked 10 gillion times, but reading those posts i'll try to do a better job with my situation. FYI - I tried binoculars, but didn't work out. Returned them twice. Ugh. Fuggeddaboutit.

Budget: Up to $1K
Environment: I live in rural Oregon east of the cascades. Big, dark sky.
Objective: Check out planets and relatively near earth sights
Hope: I can use app to find things easily (i know it's a cheat)
Other: No need for transport. Easy to set up.

Any thoughts?
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: First telescope

Post by Lady Fraktor »

This is a good package for starting out and good enough quality that with just a few improvements over time you will have a really good package.
https://www.highpointscientific.com/cel ... cope-21088

Plus it will leave you a bit of extra money for a few accessories.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

BTW, what was wrong with the binoculars? (Just that it may affect the telescope selection.)
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Here's a decent read about what to avoid.
https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-e ... ot-to-buy/

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Binos are fantastic , just remember that if you ordered astro binos they start with 15x70 and up tp around 25x100 , these all work well but all need some form of mount as holding them by hand for most people is impossible and therefore frustrating , me personally I like 7x50 for hand held any higher mag than 7x is not so easy for me , I love my 15x70 on a simple tripod
Also binos are not really suited for high magnification , like for the planets , but there are only a few planets but lots and lots of other stuff
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:53 am BTW, what was wrong with the binoculars? (Just that it may affect the telescope selection.)

I agree. Critical to know what about them didn't work for the OP before venturing off other recommendations.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Larry 1969 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:36 pm Here's a decent read about what to avoid.
https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-e ... ot-to-buy/

Larry

That was excellent. If I had read that five years ago my closet would look very different.
:?
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

GCoyote wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:39 pm That was excellent. If I had read that five years ago my closet would look very different.
:lol: Do we have a "Gee, I wish I hadn't bought that" thread?
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:57 pm
GCoyote wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:39 pm That was excellent. If I had read that five years ago my closet would look very different.
:lol: Do we have a "Gee, I wish I hadn't bought that" thread?
:lol:

Yeah, a little bit. But I've limited my losses by 'adopting' homeless scopes so far so I've been able to experiment with different OTA designs, mounts, and accessories while staying within budget. I'm fortunate in that I enjoy learning how the equipment works almost as much as the actual astronomy. I now have a much better idea what I like and don't like and so I'm able to focus on specific needs when I do buy new equipment.

IMO when figuring out what to buy next, a positive forum conversation like this is orders of magnitude more helpful than the usual ratings, reviews, and other generic Internet sources of information. The forum community provides a level of context that is missing from the usual sources.

:Astronomer1:
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

GCoyote wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:32 pm
IMO when figuring out what to buy next, a positive forum conversation like this is orders of magnitude more helpful than the usual ratings, reviews, and other generic Internet sources of information. The forum community provides a level of context that is missing from the usual sources.

:Astronomer1:
I agree.
Reviews usually can't call garbage as garbage. They need to use quite neutral expressions. Otherwise the seller/manufacturer feels offended, and doesn't want their products to be reviewed by that reviewer.
The differences between really good and really bad gets blurred.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

GCoyote wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:32 pm a positive forum conversation like this [...]
Yes, that's the key. Too many discussions in other forums devolve into trading insults.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:54 pm
GCoyote wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:32 pm a positive forum conversation like this [...]
Yes, that's the key. Too many discussions in other forums devolve into trading insults.

... and the bulk of user reviews appear to be written by people trying to justify a purchase or by 'bots rented by the seller to boost sales.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

GCoyote wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:25 pm
pakarinen wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:54 pm

... and the bulk of user reviews appear to be written by people trying to justify a purchase or by 'bots rented by the seller to boost sales.
And often reviews basically "compare products to themselves" - just facts that you could read from the brochures.
Not much about how the product really compares with other similar kinds products, or evaluation of the features of the product in practical use. Sometimes it's hard to tell a review from an ad.
- Juha

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome on board Mark! Would you like to have a telescope with manual mount to learn how to read star charts and navigate to target manually, or you would prefer to use GoTo mount, which once set up correctly will find the target for you and keep it in the view by tracking it?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:59 pm Welcome on board Mark! Would you like to have a telescope with manual mount to learn how to read star charts and navigate to target manually, or you would prefer to use GoTo mount, which once set up correctly will find the target for you and keep it in the view by tracking it?
As it turns out, that is a very good question to ask now days.

The answer may depend on how much light pollution he has to contend with.

Mark?
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
markgross
Earth Ambassador

Post by markgross »

Thanks so much for the info and the recommendations. I'll try to respond here to all questions and comments

1.Lady Fraktor made a specific rec (thanks!) - Celestron Omni XLT 102 Refractor Equatorial Telescope - 21088. Refractordude said these are often out of stock, and recommended the Orion dob at f/8 focal ratio (thanks). These were the two specific recs.

2. Several q's on binoculars. I bought the Skymaster 25x100 gigunda binocs, and the recommended mount. The problem - which I posted in the binocs forum - was that to see thru them and have the to images merge, they need to be completely closed (forgive me for not using correct terminology. Even then the images didn't merge. My IPD is in the normal range, so based on forum advice, I exchanged. Same problem with next set. I was advised that it might be possible to make adjustments by opening the binoculars, but I'm not confident enough to tamper with delicate and expensive devices. So I figured, go for a scope.

3. Bigzmey and GCoyote asked about GoTo mount. Yes, I'd like that feature.

Here are the reqs from my original post

Budget: Up to $1K
Environment: I live in rural Oregon east of the cascades. Big, dark sky.
Objective: Check out planets and relatively near earth sights
Hope: I can use app to find things easily (i know it's a cheat)
Other: No need for transport. Easy to set up.

Given all this, what's the word, my teleguru buddies!

Mark
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

OK, sounds to me like a 4 or 5 inch Mak on a goto, certainly within your budget. Specifically because planets and, the only other nearby object, the moon. Definitely an easier setup that a long tube refractor.

BTW, I'm in your neck of the woods, one state up. I have found that 11 or 15x70 binos are a good choice too and you'll have enough left over for a pair.

Good luck,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

If the two images dont merge means the binos are out , and need to be collimated not something you should do as they are new , sorry for that but yes it does happen and only really notices for astronomy seems more and more people notice this , if you got your money back as mentioned a nice small mac is good
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

I read that Maks can have a hard time keeping up with changing temperatures. Would not want the OP to buy a Mak and every time He/she looks through it nothing but mush. The Mak is a great recommendation, but what are the falling temperatures like at his/her location? Left click the images.
Attachments
mak 2.PNG
mak 1.PNG