Discuss solar related topics.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Tillibobs August Solar thread

Post by FRAZ »

Astrophotography images Solar Forum

We used to have a monthly topic in the old forum and it has been suggested we start this up again. It will be set up in the discussion forum as it will contain primarily our thoughts and will contain images but it will not replace the Astrophotography Solar Images forum.

We used to post everything in the monthly and Images specifically in the Astrophotography section and this can continue.

You might ask why and It is purely an exercise in bringing back that community feeling that we had before.

Who fires off the monthly topic? That can be anyone on the first of the month if it has not been posted already using previous templates as an example. We can all be busy from time to time so we will have to cover for each other. Keith had this off to a tee before and we just need to emulate that.

I'm going to post the first one very early so we can talk about what we want or any ideas. Graeme and Gordon have said that they are going to sticky each one to make it easier to track.

Thanks,
Fraz.
Last edited by FRAZ on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.
PST mod stage 2 - Quark on extended loan and yet to repay with value ;)
Camera- ASi 174 mono no tilt required.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
Lots of nighttime scopes and stuff but focus on the sun.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Tillibobs August Solar thread

Post by FRAZ »

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=19203

I found this topic really interesting from AntennaGuy and NFA posted a really good article on the cycles of the sun.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

If anyone can have a go at making a big name at the top of a message and have it as a link to the forum I would appreciate it.

I tried and it gave me the name I wanted but added the syntax etc.
I also never got to the making it a link part.

See the very top post for context.

The idea is that people can jump between the two forum sections more easily.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Ben has just informed me that he has an interesting new hook up. I'll let him tell you about it!
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

Just looked on Gong (now Gong2) to see if there is any activity on the sun. Of course I often compare what is going on to images I have already captured and say to myself, well I have a better image than that so I may not go out.
There is an interesting filiment around and active region with some proms behind it, so while I feel lazy I think I will do a quick imaging run as it is nice out and about 74F I also want to practice more with my Daystar Flat Cap, I don't see that much difference with the proms but it makes the surface more even. I will use my 174mm-cool but probably won't plug it in but may do it.

How do people put in images? I use IMGUR.com as I don't see any other way to insert an image except with a 3rd party hosting site OOPS JUST DRAGGED AND DROPPED AND IT DID IT TWICE

Attachments
20210723140430Ch Chile.jpg
20210723140430Ch Chile.jpg
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Lol, way to go.

I tried bbcodes and it takes you to the persons gallery !?
I just use attachments but have multiple windows open so that I get the right ones, hopefully. :)
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Those are very clean shots.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Ill have a look on gong but admittedly i am really bad on orientation and marking each active region.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 pm Just looked on Gong (now Gong2) to see if there is any activity on the sun. Of course I often compare what is going on to images I have already captured and say to myself, well I have a better image than that so I may not go out.
There is an interesting filiment around and active region with some proms behind it, so while I feel lazy I think I will do a quick imaging run as it is nice out and about 74F I also want to practice more with my Daystar Flat Cap, I don't see that much difference with the proms but it makes the surface more even. I will use my 174mm-cool but probably won't plug it in but may do it.

How do people put in images? I use IMGUR.com as I don't see any other way to insert an image except with a 3rd party hosting site OOPS JUST DRAGGED AND DROPPED AND IT DID IT TWICE

Hi Jeff,

You can "attach" images. If you click on "new topic" scroll down the page and you will see 3 tabs (Options, Attachments, and Poll Creation) click on Attachments and select "Add Files" you can add your image there. If you place your curser in the text box of your post you can then choose (place in-line) and your image will be placed where you put the curser. Hope this helps.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Went out for about an hour at the very end I changed from Halpha Quark to my CAk on Lunt ED102

I found that the Flat Cap doesn't work with a full disk image at least for me. Too much space around it I think. I will go back to no flats on CAk or full disk images
Attachments
20210723 CAK.jpg
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Great to see some Cak on here Ben, that is a very clear crisp example.

You should post this on the images forum, it is a rarity that needs to be enjoyed on the wider forum.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

I did wonder about flats on full disc images. I posted here in discussions about calibration and was talking to Andrew about this too.

It may be necessary to go old school with the flat and take a tshirt flat or use a light panel.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

What I found was the ones I used a flat on showed much darker limbs and a lighter center, I think it is due to the fact that half the image is super bright and half super dark. I don't know. I think even old school flats would have the same issue.
With flats on solar I think you need to do the flat on the center of the sun only surface showing and no "sky" and then you can move the scope to where you want to image but not rotate the camera, in my opinion

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

FRAZ wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:42 am Astrophotography images Solar Forum

We used to have a monthly topic in the old forum and it has been suggested we start this up again. It will be set up in the discussion forum as it will contain primarily our thoughts and will contain images but it will not replace the Astrophotography Solar Images forum.

We used to post everything in the monthly and Images specifically in the Astrophotography section and this can continue.

You might ask why and It is purely an exercise in bringing back that community feeling that we had before...
This is a good idea IMHO.. I'll certainly contribute if I have something to share. For those who might not have been around in the "old days", Fraz is referring to the old solar group started by Bill & Mike... Keith (Tillibobs) took over the lead when they left the forum.

The group was mostly experienced solar imagers with the occasional "rookie" just learning the ropes... I started out in the rookie category. LOL The "pros" would jump right in to help anyone... Some made it while others gave up.

That said, the regulars were relentless with each other. I recall when Fraz & I were working with HDR Toning (an archaic technique these days). I posted one of my "masterpieces" that turned out pink because I'm color blind. Keith calmly said, "John, it's pink". However, never one to mince words, Fraz said, "GET THAT CRAP OUTTA HERE!!!"... One of the greatest lines ever. LOL

My reason for sharing that story is that no one was offended... That's just how we talked in the semi-private corner of the forum. We had a lot of fun.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Ben, what the John Henry is a Day Star Flat cap ? is it similar to a baseball cap ?

Fraz, I'm flattered with the Title, is that so you can continue to hold on to the Quark ? ( I'm looking for smiles but can't find them , just so you know I'm joking.
Keith.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Keith it is a hat you put on the solar scope when it is too hot out to shade its eyes...

It is sometimes called a diffuser, a new filter to do flats for your solar images. I bought one for my 100 and one for the 120, they really work well with less work.

http://www.daystarfilters.com/FlatCap/Index.shtml

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

I've never done flats ! I do live in an apartment though,does that count ?

Keith.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

:tease: Yeah, we are definitely retaining the spirit of the old forum.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Tillibobs wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:32 pm I've never done flats ! I do live in an apartment though,does that count ?

Keith.
You have to be a Brit even in NEW England we call them apartments. You all have weird names for stuff, like "kit" for your equipment, or "rubber" for an eraser (that can get you in trouble here in mixed company lol).

I never did flats until this year I would use PS to clone out dust spots and for uneven areas I would also use PS but with the dodge and burn tool.

I am still learning how best to use it

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

I noticed that there wasn't much getting posted in July so I decided to post an image every day that I could from the last batch. I saved the best for last and I am looking for what one is the better of the two versions of this last image so that I can post it in the images forum.

Image A
sun1607213monoangelwings.jpg
Image B
sun1607213monoangelwings2.jpg