New higher power eyepiece for my scope. Suggestions?

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New higher power eyepiece for my scope. Suggestions?

Post by Bigzmey »

Not counting stock Kellners you have exit pupils 6.5mm (Swan 26mm), 3.8mm (TV Plossl 15mm) and 1.5mm (BCO 6mm). What missing from the equation are 1mm (4mm FL) and 2mm (8mm FL) exit pupils. 3mm exit pupil is nice to have but not as critical.

IMO having good EP with 2mm exit pupil is a must, because that is where majority of DSOs will look the best. So, if I would be you I would get 8mm EP first and then 2x powermade or barlow which would convert 8mm to 4mm and deliver 1mm exit pupil.

Not all EP lines have 8mm EPs, so 7mm to 9mm should be close enough. Since you already have 6mm covered, I would am for 8-9mm to space it nicely from 6mm.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by 25585 »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:30 pm I believe everyone should have a good quality barlow or focal extender (powemate) in their EP case. It is such a useful tool. Saying that one still need to have a good EP to barlow. Barlowing 15mm Plossl or 6mm BCO will get you nice high power views but the eye relief and FOV will still be tight.

I had quite a few barlows over the years. My favorites are Baader Q barlow and Televue 2x and 3x. At the end I sold TV barlows and have two Baader Q barlows now, not because I did not like the views, but because TV barlows were colliding with prisms in my diagonals due to the length.

For the EPs you will see 'for' and 'against' opinions for ES 82, Delos, Morpheus and Naglers, but Delites seems to be universally loved. In my personal experience I have tried and moved away from ES 82, Morpheus and Delos, but Delites are keepers. :D
Barlows are good. Though I don't like TV eyepieces apart from Delites (lots of issues), their accessories like Powermates are good. I use 4x Powermate with long FL eyepieces to go short.
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:08 pm Not counting stock Kellners you have exit pupils 6.5mm (Swan 26mm), 3.8mm (TV Plossl 15mm) and 1.5mm (BCO 6mm). What missing from the equation are 1mm (4mm FL) and 2mm (8mm FL) exit pupils. 3mm exit pupil is nice to have but not as critical.

IMO having good EP with 2mm exit pupil is a must, because that is where majority of DSOs will look the best. So, if I would be you I would get 8mm EP first and then 2x powermade or barlow which would convert 8mm to 4mm and deliver 1mm exit pupil.

Not all EP lines have 8mm EPs, so 7mm to 9mm should be close enough. Since you already have 6mm covered, I would am for 8-9mm to space it nicely from 6mm.
My mistake was going with the 3x Barlow, which is not very good. Also, I've heard from other Finnish astronomers, that 300x (4 mm) can be used quite rarely. The typical max, due to the atmosphere, is about 250x.
That's why I was thinking of getting the 5 mm DeLite (240x) first.

On the other hand, I basically have good 15 mm and good 6 mm. This might be the time to rethink my eyepiece set.
The 26 mm is a bit too much, but it's usable for polar alignment. It's TFOV radius is 80.8" bigger that the distance of polaris from the north pole. 26mm, 68° would be better (2.8" difference), but no one seems to make those.
polar_align.png
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

There are quite a few 26mm 70° eyepieces and one 27mm 68° (Panoptic), but I see the field stop diameters are all over the place.
If you are using the TF = AF/M formula, be aware it overstates the true field by anywhere from 5 to 15%.
For figuring true field of view, it's better to use the formula
TF = (field stop / telescope focal length) x 57.296
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Don Pensack wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:27 pm There are quite a few 26mm 70° eyepieces and one 27mm 68° (Panoptic), but I see the field stop diameters are all over the place.
If you are using the TF = AF/M formula, be aware it overstates the true field by anywhere from 5 to 15%.
For figuring true field of view, it's better to use the formula
TF = (field stop / telescope focal length) x 57.296
Just for clarity the 57.something is just for converting the natural measure of angle, the radian, into the Sumerian measure of angle, the degree. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

turboscrew wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:07 am
Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:08 pm Not counting stock Kellners you have exit pupils 6.5mm (Swan 26mm), 3.8mm (TV Plossl 15mm) and 1.5mm (BCO 6mm). What missing from the equation are 1mm (4mm FL) and 2mm (8mm FL) exit pupils. 3mm exit pupil is nice to have but not as critical.

My mistake was going with the 3x Barlow, which is not very good. Also, I've heard from other Finnish astronomers, that 300x (4 mm) can be used quite rarely. The typical max, due to the atmosphere, is about 250x.

On the other hand, I basically have good 15 mm and good 6 mm. This might be the time to rethink my eyepiece set.
The 26 mm is a bit too much, but it's usable for polar alignment. It's TFOV radius is 80.8" bigger that the distance of polaris from the north pole. 26mm, 68° would be better (2.8" difference), but no one seems to make those.

Yes, you do have two good quality EPs which also happened to provide useful exit pupils in your scope: ~4mm and 1.5mm. You next move should be to fill 2mm and 1mm exit pupil positions. One way to go about this for now is to get 2x barlow/powermate and barlow your 15mm to 7.5mm which will get you close to 2mm exit pupil and on the nights of super good seeing you can barlow 6mm to 3mm. This should take care of your EP needs for now and will give you extra time to think about wide field EPs.

Many of us have low glass count EP set consisting of good quality Plossls and Orthos for challenging targets and wide field EP set for comfortable observing with long eye relief and wide TFV.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:21 pm
turboscrew wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:07 am

Yes, you do have two good quality EPs which also happened to provide useful exit pupils in your scope: ~4mm and 1.5mm. You next move should be to fill 2mm and 1mm exit pupil positions. One way to go about this for now is to get 2x barlow/powermate and barlow your 15mm to 7.5mm which will get you close to 2mm exit pupil and on the nights of super good seeing you can barlow 6mm to 3mm. This should take care of your EP needs for now and will give you extra time to think about wide field EPs.

Many of us have low glass count EP set consisting of good quality Plossls and Orthos for challenging targets and wide field EP set for comfortable observing with long eye relief and wide TFV.
I haven't found a 2x powermate. The 2.5x seems to mess up the plans. Also, I've wondered what kinds of alternatives do I have with this scope. I know TVs are good, so are BCOs. I guess some of the ES eyepieces are fine too, but which?
And how about Pentax eyepieces? Would they be good for my tube? It's just that I have hard time to find right focal lengths. Like, I haven't found 8 mm or 12 mm BCOs.

It looks like, instead of nice series, I need to go somewhat ad hoc.
At the moment, I think ~250x is what I'd need, when it gets dark again.
At the moment I have, basically, 48x, 80x and 200x. and a questionable 120x.
The 15 mm with 2.5x powermate becomes equal to the 6 mm, and the 6 mm becomes (mostly unusable) 2.4 mm (500x).
And the 26 mm is 2", so it wouldn't fit into the 2.5x powermate. There is a 2" 2x powermate, but it costs more than 400 eur.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by SpyderwerX »

You may also look into the Explore Scientific 2x focal extender. Same beast as the Powermate, but a bit less pricey. I did't want to go with a 2" 2X Powermate due to size, weight and expense, so I opted to try one of the 1.25" ES units, and have been very pleased.

I despise barlows, so the 4 element "extender/powermate" is the only route I would consider. :)
~Frankie~ My mind: Always on...Slightly off. :?
Celestron CPC1100 SCT....Celestron Evolution 8 SCT...TeleVue-85 apo...SkyWatcher ST150 achro..ST102 achro..ST80 achro.
Celestron AVX...Orion Atlas EQ-G...SkyTee-2...Twilight-1.
Baader BBHS prism and mirror diagonals + Vernonscope quartz 1.25"
EPs: TeleVue oldie (NJ) & modern Plossls, Widefields, and Naglers + 3-6 zoom & Brandons 6-32.
Astronomik, Lumicon & Baader filters..

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Yes, BCOs only come in 3 focal lengths: 6, 10 and 18mm (and 32mm Plossl). However, if you get Baader Q-barlow which provides 2.25x and 1.3x factors and BCO 18mm you can convert 6mm BCO to 4.6mm and 18mm BCO to 8mm and 13.8mm.

The BCOs set has a great value (I have two of those :)). It will work great and cover your EP needs in any type of scope, since it gives you 12 focal lengths. In terms of optical quality (light transmission, sharpness, contrast and light scatter control) these EPs match or beat performance of any premium EPs I have tried. At the price of one premium EP ~209 EUR.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... w-len.html

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

SpyderwerX wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:08 pm You may also look into the Explore Scientific 2x focal extender. Same beast as the Powermate, but a bit less pricey. I did't want to go with a 2" 2X Powermate due to size, weight and expense, so I opted to try one of the 1.25" ES units, and have been very pleased.

I despise barlows, so the 4 element "extender/powermate" is the only route I would consider. :)
I see why extenders/powermate could be attractive, but prefer good quality barlows myself. Not sure what is so bad about barlows. I can't detect any image degradation and in fact they clean up the views of some EPs.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:22 pm
SpyderwerX wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:08 pm You may also look into the Explore Scientific 2x focal extender. Same beast as the Powermate, but a bit less pricey. I did't want to go with a 2" 2X Powermate due to size, weight and expense, so I opted to try one of the 1.25" ES units, and have been very pleased.

I see why extenders/powermate could be attractive, but prefer good quality barlows myself. Not sure what is so bad about barlows. I can't detect any image degradation and in fact they clean up the views of some EPs.
The barlow changes the position of the exit pupil while the extender/powermate doesn't. It bothers some. The BCO barlow is quite nice and is highly recommendable optically if you don't mind finding the exit pupil anew.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:27 pm

The barlow changes the position of the exit pupil while the extender/powermate doesn't. It bothers some. The BCO barlow is quite nice and is highly recommendable optically if you don't mind finding the exit pupil anew.
OH! I found that when I had my f4 Newtonian that the 24mm and 19mm Panoptics combined with the 2x and 4x power mates provided excellent coverage from exit pupils of 6mm down to 1.2mm. It was my standard travel kit as the powermates were almost as good as a Ploessl or Abbe. They were on a par with the 1.25" BCO 2.25x barlow.
SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by SpyderwerX »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:27 pm

To add to the reasoning notFritz pointed out, it technically comes down to working with a diverging (angled) light path from a barlow, versus a parallel light path of the extender. Granted, most times this is not noticeable with a quality barlow, but can still pose a factor for possible aberrations.
Celestron CPC1100 SCT....Celestron Evolution 8 SCT...TeleVue-85 apo...SkyWatcher ST150 achro..ST102 achro..ST80 achro.
EPs: TeleVue oldie (NJ) & modern Plossls, Widefields, and Naglers + 3-6 zoom & Brandons 6-32.
Big_Eight United States of America
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Big_Eight »

While a quality barlow is a great addition I would also say you can't go wrong with that ES 4.7mm 82° eyepiece. I have a few ES eyepieces and love them.
Telescope: Orion Starblast 6i newtonian tabletop
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

At this point I ordered 5 mm DeLite.
I have to look at things later, but I think 5 mm at this moment is what I need the most.
- Juha

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

turboscrew wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:08 pm At this point I ordered 5 mm DeLite.
I have to look at things later, but I think 5 mm at this moment is what I need the most.
Congrats, this is a quality EP. I am sure you will put it into a good use.

SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by SpyderwerX »

I think you will be quite happy with the Delite. I don't currently own any, but have had the opportunity to view through them a few times, and they are indeed wonderful.

Be very careful however, there are eight more EPs in that series that just beckon to be had also. :lol:
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SpyderwerX wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:14 pm
I think you will be quite happy with the Delite. I don't currently own any, but have had the opportunity to view through them a few times, and they are indeed wonderful.

Be very careful however, there are eight more EPs in that series that just beckon to be had also. :lol:
I know, but my surname is Aaltonen, not Bezos.
- Juha

SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by SpyderwerX »

turboscrew wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:57 pm
SpyderwerX wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:14 pm

I know, but my surname is Aaltonen, not Bezos.

:lol: :lol:
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Does this look like a good plan?

Code: Select all

focal length    magnification   exit pupil
26              46              6.50
15              80              3.75
12              100             3.00
8               150             2.00
6               200             1.50
5               240             1.25
4               300             1.00
Maybe 20 mm too (60x, 5 mm exit pupil)?
- Juha