Will the glasses I'm getting be ok for astronomy/night observing?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Will the glasses I'm getting be ok for astronomy/night observing?

Post by realflow100 »

I'm planning on getting some glasses to help with my moderate astigmatism (I have almost no near or farsightedness. I can focus within a couple inches and on the stars at night without glasses. but everything appears slightly blurry at all distances due to astigmatism)

These are my glasses I'm getting
Fairly large lenses and frames. metal. + large lenses to cover a majority of my view. I didn't like the ones that were only like looking through a small peep hole in front of me. Somewhat relatively close to my eyes too. not far away.
I chose poly lens material with UV. anti-scratch and AR/anti reflective coatings. for what options I had available

total price 141$

I'm hoping these will improve my eyesight enough in astronomy/night time uses for seeing the stars better and sharper.

my eyesight is
SPH +0.5 +0.75
CYL -2.00 -2.25
Axis 005 010

Will my glasses prevent me in any way from focusing on infinity properly? Thats my main concern. that the prescription is too strong for my accomodation/focusing ability for things far away.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Will the glasses I'm getting be ok for astronomy/night observing?

Post by KathyNS »

You should have no trouble adjusting the focus to accommodate the glasses. However, how well you can see will depend on the eye relief of the eyepiece. Unless the eyepiece has a high eye relief, you may not see the entire field of view at one time. You might have to "peer around corners" to see it all. If you are replacing eyepieces, look for ones that have large eye relief. Or perhaps get contact lenses for observing.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

I meant using glasses naked-eye by the way. without a telescope or eyepiece.

I already know eye relief will be an issue with all my eyepieces except my 40mm plossl.

probably will take my glasses off while using telescope. as using my telescope I don't see the same astigmatism issue nearly as strongly. Seems clearer/sharper somewhat compared to naked eye. especially at smaller exit pupils.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

If your optician is any good you should be able to see much clearer at infinity. I have astigmatism too, and with my glasses the stars go from weird spiky things with a hole in the middle to stars... ;) - and there are a lot more of them too! (eg: without glasses, Sirius is about the size of the tip of my little finger, and looks like two Eiffel Towers, one on top and one upside down, with 18 main spikes and a hole in the middle. With glasses it shrinks a lot, and Looks like a real star!)

I usually don't use them with eyepieces, unless I am sharing my scope with someone else; and then I focus with the glasses on so that it is more likely to be in focus for others too. Like you, the smaller the exit pupil, the clearer I can see.

The good news for me is that my long-distance vision has improved slightly with age: and now I am starting to see a dot in the middle of those Eiffel towers...
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

Stars to me look a bit fuzzy. faint. and stretched vertically a little. almost like all stars are somewhat indistinct. they are in focus but really soft looking. Almost like their light is being split up into multiple fainter copies of themselves on top and bottom. mostly on the bottom. details on the moons surface at night looks very smeared and blurry. I can just barely make out the largest shapes and patterns on the moons surface. and the moon also looks quite small is possible my eyes focal length is too short so when my eyes acommodate to counteract it it makes things look extra small by a few percentage. i guess that has a big effect on the details i can see too.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

DeanD wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:15 am If your optician is any good you should be able to see much clearer at infinity. I have astigmatism too, and with my glasses the stars go from weird spiky things with a hole in the middle to stars... ;) - and there are a lot more of them too! (eg: without glasses, Sirius is about the size of the tip of my little finger, and looks like two Eiffel Towers, one on top and one upside down, with 18 main spikes and a hole in the middle. With glasses it shrinks a lot, and Looks like a real star!)

I usually don't use them with eyepieces, unless I am sharing my scope with someone else; and then I focus with the glasses on so that it is more likely to be in focus for others too. Like you, the smaller the exit pupil, the clearer I can see.

The good news for me is that my long-distance vision has improved slightly with age: and now I am starting to see a dot in the middle of those Eiffel towers...
Hi Dean,

I had distance glasses when I was 57 but now (at 66) my long sight is back to normal. My near sight is OK for most everyday uses but I need glasses for small print and low light conditions.

I have never tried glasses for observing for years. Also my cameras spend more time on the sky than my eyes, these days.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

I'm also wondering how late in the day can my glasses be ready for pickup? I haven't gotten a call yet and its almost 1:30 PM I'm getting worried they wont be available for pickup on the receipts estimated time ETA of june 10th by 6 PM when they close
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

its 4:22 PM and i have a feeling its unlikely I will get my glasses by today

I tried calling my local walmart vision center but got no answer. and the call automatically ends after some seconds. Not even a busy tone. I hear a little jingle and then silence for some seconds then it ends.
WHAT IS GOING ON?
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

realflow100 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:23 pm its 4:22 PM and i have a feeling its unlikely I will get my glasses by today

I tried calling my local walmart vision center but got no answer. and the call automatically ends after some seconds. Not even a busy tone. I hear a little jingle and then silence for some seconds then it ends.
WHAT IS GOING ON?
If this is the place, it, at least, looks like something temporary.
https://www.walmart.com/store/616-orangeburg-sc
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

just got my glasses :D
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8