8" Celestron 8SE or Orion SkyQuest XT10i IntelliScope?

Discuss your 'Cats' here.
Power Ranger
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

8" Celestron 8SE or Orion SkyQuest XT10i IntelliScope?

Post by Power Ranger »

After 20 years, I sold my Celestron Nexstar 5i. Now shopping for a new scope, I've narrowed it down to either the Nexstar 8SE or a 10" Orion SkyQuest XT10i IntelliScope. I'm not willing to spend more than $2000 (tax incl) for backyard viewing and with no interest in astrophotography. A computerized Goto is a must as I like to spend my hour(s) viewing rather then searching for DSO's. Both SE and XT10i are similarly priced with SE costing a bit more. If I get the 8SE, I don't plan to upgrade the SE mount to a GEM. If it's the XT10i, I'm leaning towards the upgraded dual fine tuning focuser.

Q: Mathematically the 10" should show a lot more details to an 8" aperture, however in reality, will there really be a "Wow " factor in viewing Messier objects?
Q: Those who own Dobsonians, how often do you need to colliminate your light bucket?

Opinions/comments welcomed
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: 8" Celestron 8SE or Orion SkyQuest XT10i IntelliScope?

Post by Ylem »

I had a 10" inch Dob (non go-to/push to) I sold it and went to an 8se. I'm pretty happy with that choice.

The Dob gave me a wider field, but the SCT is more comfortable to view thru.

The 8se is easier for me to get out of the house and set up over the Dob. This is due to the layout of my house and the stairs.

So I would ask myself which would be better at my house.
Do you have stairs?
Could you store the Dob in a nice clean garage?
What type of chair would you use with the Dob?
The EP does not move as much with the SCT so a lawn chair can work.
I use a rocking chair from the porch, it allows me to move slightly for comfort.

There is no one perfect scope of course, and YMMV :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The dobsonian will let you dig deeper if you are chasing faint fuzzies.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

10" will gather ~56% more light than 8", not a drastic but quite noticeable improvement for faint DSOs.

However, the best scope is the one which gets used and 8SE will be much easier to store, move and deploy. It will still be a significant step up from 5" and will show you hundreds of targets from your backyard.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Additionally, the 8SE gives you quite a few more avenues of use than does the XT10i.

For example, the XT10i is basically a visual-only scope. I know you said you have no interest in AP, but never say never! So, the 8SE is good for visual and planetary/lunar AP. Solar viewing and AP (a smaller aperture is just easier in regards to the sun). Also, collimating before each session won't be necessary for the 8SE.

Hope this helps (maybe not).

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Power Ranger wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:19 pm After 20 years, I sold my Celestron Nexstar 5i. Now shopping for a new scope, I've narrowed it down to either the Nexstar 8SE or a 10" Orion SkyQuest XT10i IntelliScope. I'm not willing to spend more than $2000 (tax incl) for backyard viewing and with no interest in astrophotography. A computerized Goto is a must as I like to spend my hour(s) viewing rather then searching for DSO's. Both SE and XT10i are similarly priced with SE costing a bit more. If I get the 8SE, I don't plan to upgrade the SE mount to a GEM. If it's the XT10i, I'm leaning towards the upgraded dual fine tuning focuser.

Q: Mathematically the 10" should show a lot more details to an 8" aperture, however in reality, will there really be a "Wow " factor in viewing Messier objects?
Q: Those who own Dobsonians, how often do you need to colliminate your light bucket?

Opinions/comments welcomed
The XT10i is not a go to. It is a push to. You might have meant the XT10g, which is a go to.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

If you have had a Nexstar 5i for 20 years you may already have an idea of what you are looking for, or you wouldn't have sold it. No telescope does everything and no telescope usually meets your needs forever. I have both OTAs. If I am studying the planets and want to stay on track while beefing up the magnification I like the tracking capabilities of the Celestron. If I am looking for DSOs and finding new things I have never found before I like the Intelliscope. It feels much brighter to me. No matter how you slice it I like a larger aperture for visual work and the tracking capabilities for close study. It's a trade off. Which is most important?
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
aae0130
Earth Ambassador

Post by aae0130 »

You are in or near Toronto so you do not have pristine skies. The larger faster optic may let you detect more.

I had an 8se for 8 years in a climate that sees cold winters. The amount of time I wasted waiting for the closed tube SCT to reach equilibrium was torture. The dob, though larger, is an open tube and will settle faster theoretically.
Binocular Telescope: Oberwerk BT-100XL-SD
Mount: Manfrotto Nitrotech 608 on an Oberwerk TR3
EP pairs: Oberwerk 70 degree flat field 22, 14, 7, and 28mm RKE
andy brown
Earth Ambassador

Post by andy brown »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:02 am 10" will gather ~56% more light than 8", not a drastic but quite noticeable improvement for faint DSOs.

However, the best scope is the one which gets used and 8SE will be much easier to store, move and deploy. It will still be a significant step up from 5" and will show you hundreds of targets from your backyard.
Yep.

[gif][/gif]
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Me personally have not notices much difference between a 8 and 10 inch dobs but lots of light pollution now at home , when we get a chance and go to a less polluted place we take my C5 on a SLT mount wonderful scope not great at anything but a good all round scope , the 8inch will be so much better and just about as easy yo move around , so it depends on what you want to do , stay at home then the 10 inch Dobs move around then the 8 inch Celestron
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I can also add that the 10 Inch Dobs being a F4.8 requires better eyepieces that the F10 for the sct
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Mine 8 inch GSO has a duel speed and the 10 inch skywatcher only a single but for visual both work about the same both are the toothless wonders , I like gears
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5