How to Calculate the Limits of Your Telescope

Discussion of optical systems and their characteristics.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

How to Calculate the Limits of Your Telescope

Post by mikemarotta »

Resolving power (Rayleigh limit) = 138/D arc seconds
Resolving power (Dawes limit) = 116/D arc seconds

Theoretical visual limiting magnitude (optical system 100% efficient) = 2 + 5 log10D
In practice, it is likely that the constant 2 in the above equation could be replaced by a value between 3 and 4, particularly when higher magnifications are used.
(where D = diameter of aperture in millimetres)
https://britastro.org/computing/pdf/Con ... rmulae.pdf

Resolution = 5.45 / D where D=aperture in inches.
Dawes Limit = 4.56 /D where D=aperture in inches.

Starware: The Amateur Astronomer’s Guide to Choosing, Buying, and Using Telescopes, 4th edition, by Philip S. Harrington John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2007. Pg 6-8.

Light grasp “the ratio of light flux intercepted by a telescope’s objective lens or mirror to that intercepted by the human eye having a 7-mm-diameter entrance pupil.
Limiting visual magnitude m = 2.7 + 5 log D
Smallest Resolvable Angle = wavelength / diameter; 555 nanometers / D (nm) = 114/D in seconds of arc
Useful magnification range: approximately between 0.2 D and 2.0 D. (“… atmospheric turbulence usually limits the maximum magnification to 400x or less.”)
“Optics and Observing: Telescope Parameters” by Roy Bishop. RASC Observer’s Handbook 2021, page 49. (Royal Astronomical Society of Canada)

Angular Resolution = 0.25 * (wavelength micrometers / mirror diameter meters) with a micron = 10^-6 meters.
Astronomy Today, Chaisson and McMillan, 6th edition, Pearson Addison Wesley, 2008 page119.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: How to Calculate the Limits of Your Telescope

Post by mikemarotta »

So, just for example:
The formulae all work out the same. The RASC parameters are a bit more generous. To figure magnitude limits from the RASC numbers, I took the standard deviation [0.682 * (20+.02) * D] as an approximation.

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC 70 mm refractor
Rayleigh Limit: 1.97 arc seconds
Dawes Limit: 1.65 arc seconds
Magnitude Limits: 11.2 to 11.9
Magnification 105X

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC 102 mm refractor
Rayleigh Limit: 1.35 arc seconds
Dawest Limit: 1.13 arc seconds
Magnitude Limits: 12 to 12.74
Magnification 153 X

In practice, the results are somewhat different. I use epsilon Lyrae as my test case.
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 11.38.19 AM.png
On three different nights over a couple of weeks, the 70 mm would not split the doubles, but on the second night with better viewing, the 102 mm would.
Also, with the ES-102, I was working at 165X using a 8-mm eyepiece and a 2X Barlow. The National Geographic has a longer focal length, but the additional magnification at 175X did not help. The aperature was just not wide enough to gather the light needed.

Note that in all of these references, they always caution that better seeing conditions is often the more important stricture.
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

From my experience with the Explore Scientific AR102, the limiting magnitude is well below what you have listed. I have seen the quasar 3C 273 in Virgo, listed at mag 12.9, and it wasn't overly difficult. 13.5 would be a more reasonable limit under excellent conditions.
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mike and Gordon. A very informative thread here. And, I remembered an interesting article from the June 2019 Sky & Telescope magazine. I have scanned the 5 page article and hope that these add to this thread discussion.
Dawes1.jpg
Dawes2.jpg
Dawes3.jpg
Dawes4.jpg
Dawes5.jpg
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Thanks Marshall,

It is interesting that the 84yo author was able to consistently reduce Dawes' Limit by around 23%, to come up with 3.5/d, vs the conventional figure of 4.56/d

Mind you, he was using 3.5" and 7" Questars which are arguably as good as you can get! It does agree pretty much with my personal observations using a top quality 4" scope. Noting of course that the original formula was empirically derived, we should really see it as an approximation for a good telescope on a night of good seeing.

happy viewing folks!

- Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

DeanD wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:57 am ... Mind you, he was using 3.5" and 7" Questars which are arguably as good as you can get! It does agree pretty much with my personal observations using a top quality 4" scope. Noting of course that the original formula was empirically derived....
I went to the Questar website and I read about them on Wikipedia. They seem to be the Maybach-Brabus of telescopes.
Michael E. Marotta
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

mikemarotta wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:40 pm
DeanD wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:57 am ... Mind you, he was using 3.5" and 7" Questars which are arguably as good as you can get! It does agree pretty much with my personal observations using a top quality 4" scope. Noting of course that the original formula was empirically derived....
I went to the Questar website and I read about them on Wikipedia. They seem to be the Maybach-Brabus of telescopes.
Yep! I looked up Maybach-Brabus and I agree. They must be the Questar of cars! :) :sprefac:
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

Bear in mind that these limits are theoretical. At any given site, the seeing may never be good enough to reach the actual limit. Bad seeing spreads out images, making the faintest stars bloat and seem to disappear.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Limiting magnitude of a telescope is a far more complex thing than a simple formula.
There are many factors influencing the limit:
Diameter of objective
Magnification
Darkness of sky
Seeing
Transparency (extinction)
altitude above the horizon for the star
The spectrum of the star
the visual acuity of the observer
the experience of the observer
the cleanliness of the optics
the transmission of the scope (i.e. the type of optics and coatings)
Any formula that does not take those factors into account would at best be within 2 magnitudes of the actual limit.
This calculator DOES take all those things into account and is far more accurate than a simple formula:
https://www.cruxis.com/scope/limitingmagnitude.htm

To show you how great a difference there can be from the data entered, my 12.5" aperture varies from 13.1-17.9 depending on the factors I enter.
That would simply make any fixed formula an almost laughable idea.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor