New Scope

Discuss Celestron telescopes
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

New Scope

Post by lostone »

Hi All, I just ordered me a new Celestron Edge HD 11" I'm happy that I was able to one one. Anyway since this it the 1st Edge HD that I have ever owned. I want to know what people are using for auto focus. It's been mentioned to me by a local that I should put a crayford type focuser on it and use that for focusing. As it is right now, i'm going to be imaging from the back side since it is Galaxy season, but I will be adding a Hyperstar for Nebula season. So If you have an 11" Please let me know what you are using and if you have a photo that would be nice also. After all 3 of my scopes are Refractors and one RC, So the SCT is a new beast for me.

Thanks Everyone.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
yobbo89 Australia
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: New Scope

Post by yobbo89 »

I'm using a gso crayford with a rigel stepper motor,board for my 12" meade, the mirror flop is so bad that it looses collimation when using the prim focus knob,so i just keep it locked down and use the crayford.

I think celestron is a bit better on the mirror flop. You'll obviously have to use a electric focuser for the prime mirror knob to have auto focus with a hyperstar,

Other notes,with a focal reducer or a focal reducer corrector they have a set point,back focus to the camera, and some sct focal reducers are made to screw directly onto the sct scope, this may be a problem with a cray ford focuser and will ruin any set backfocus distance when focussing . My setup only needs a standard focal reducer so m42 thread onto the camera works well as the scope is well corrected .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .