EQ8-R Pro question

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

EQ8-R Pro question

Post by lostone »

Is anyone out there with an EQ8-R using the built in USB hub on there mount?

I'm working on relocating my Eagle from the scope to the pier and figured sine the mount has a built in Power and USB 3 hub I might as well use them.

Everything works just fine...... Except the camera. For some reason I can not connect to my camera, however, my filter wheel and focuser are also plugged into the camera and they both work just great. I figured, hummm that's strange. So I unhooked the filter wheel and focuser from the camera thinking that may be the issue. Well it's not. Still no connection to the camera. I've tried with both Ascom and Native. No luck. Now I'm thinking is something to do with my camera so I hooked the camera directly into the Eagle and low and behold I can connect to the camera. So now I'm thinking that it might be a ZWO thing so I pulled out my QHY 600 and tried with it. Same thing, unable to connect to the camera with the mounts USB hub, but am able to connect to the camera straight into the Eagle. So no i'm thinking if it's the new Eagle 4 Pro that I have. At this point I hooked up my Eagle 3 Pro and got the exact same results.

Camer's ZWO ASI, 2600MM & 6200MC, QHY 600 Pro Mono.
Filter Wheel, ZWO 7-2"
Focuser: Moonlite Nitecrawler.

Has anyone else had issues with the USB 3 Hub???

Thanks for reading and hope someone has an answer.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: EQ8-R Pro question

Post by lostone »

Well, this really sux. Below is the reply I received from Sky Watcher as to the USB Hub issue and their reply is more like a kick in the A&&, Especially since they seem to know this has been an issue with the mount since it first hit the streets. I am thinking they are not working too hard with the boys in china to get this issue fixed.

Sky Watcher Response:
"We are having issues with the USB hub running as a 3.0-hub.

The issue is the hub is not powered. By the time you plug your camera in, run through the internal hub, out to the rear port to the computer there is not enough signal for the computer to see the device. For 2.0 devices it does not matter, only 3.0. We are trying to work with the factory to get a way to address this issue. For now an external powered hub can address this.

Thank you!

Sky-Watcher Support "

Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Well that really stinks. And even more ashamed they are not upfront about that issue considering it is their premium mount. That could be a deal breaker for some buyers.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Synta has never been known to come up with bug fixes or upgrades for prior equipment, or at least very slowly.
Have you checked with the camera maker to see if they have come up with a work around?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:31 am Synta has never been known to come up with bug fixes or upgrades for prior equipment, or at least very slowly.
Have you checked with the camera maker to see if they have come up with a work around?
I wouldn't hold my breath, since I get the same issue with both ZWO and QHY and they both work perfectly with the iOptron CEM70G

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

AstroBee wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:26 am Well that really stinks. And even more ashamed they are not upfront about that issue considering it is their premium mount. That could be a deal breaker for some buyers.
That and most of the camera's that have been coming out over the last 2 years have been USB 3.0, You'd think they would be all over this. In some small way, I would be thinking of letting it go and picking up a CEM120 to replace it.

CaesarDeSainte
Earth Ambassador

Post by CaesarDeSainte »

If I may ask, Lostone, did you get the power outs to work? They don't seem to work on mine. Neither does the hub. LOL Perhaps I'm using the wrong cables for the power out? Please do tell. I thought that was fairly cut and dry.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

what a bummer, i get the same problem with most usb hubs that are not powerd.. i typically just don't use them and run 3-4 usb cords to my laptop,
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

CaesarDeSainte wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:29 pm If I may ask, Lostone, did you get the power outs to work? They don't seem to work on mine. Neither does the hub. LOL Perhaps I'm using the wrong cables for the power out? Please do tell. I thought that was fairly cut and dry.
The power has always worked and the other items plugged into the hub work fine. Just the issue with working with USB 3. Seems Sky Watcher has been aware of this since day one of the EQ8-R's existence and have never done a thing about it and probably never will.

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:44 pm what a bummer, i get the same problem with most usb hubs that are not powerd.. i typically just don't use them and run 3-4 usb cords to my laptop,
The kicker on this is that it is a Powered USB Hub. I ordered a longer USB 3 cable so I can just run the camera down to the Eagle, Should be in today

ItsMeAstro Netherlands
Earth Ambassador

Post by ItsMeAstro »

Solving all EQ8R PRO USB3 problems
===============================

I've encountered several problems with USB3 on my EQ8R PRO mount, as USB3 devices were not recognized and didn't work at all, only USB2 devices worked and connections were lost at random times.

After examining the internal wiring I found my original internal USB cable didn't meet USB3 specs, as it was only partly shielded, was a CAT5 cable, only suited for USB 2 transfer speeds and had a real error in the wiring of the PH2 connectors so one of the USB3 wires was not connected at all !

I decided to make a new fully double shielded cable, CAT 8, suitable for transferspeeds of at least 5GB/s (USB 3.2 Gen 1) and replaced my original cable with the new one.

After replacement the EQ8R PRO internal USB 3.0 hub was fully functional and I've tested it with a 15 meter active USB 3.2 GEN 1 cable, atttached to my PC and all equipment connected and several astro camera's (QHY268M).
Transfer speeds were now limited by the camera's and I accurately measured and reached download speeds from my QHY268M of 1150 Mb/s now, way above USB2 maximum speed of 480 Mb/s !

I've created a detailed step-by-step manual for the creation of the new internal USB3 cable, with full explanations of tools needed, as well as a full test report and a description (also with picture) of the wrong wiring of my original cable, see attachment !

Strongly recommended for everyone !

Manual can be downloaded from :
FullWell Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by FullWell »

I just bought a CQ-350 that appears to have the same non-functional USB 3 hub that the EQ-8 has.

I bet it has the same cable problem.
ItsMeAstro Netherlands
Earth Ambassador

Post by ItsMeAstro »

I looks similar, so would be possible same eroor with cable !