First light ASI2600mc

Post your DSO images here.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

First light ASI2600mc

Post by Jockinireland »

Long story Short, the new camera I got just before Christmas needed to go back to vendor and eventually I decided to put a bit more into its replacement and plumped for the ASI 2600mc pro.

At last, after 7 weeks of solid cloud I got a short window to try to grab some images with the new camera. It ended up as only 90 mins total integration but I think its OK for that.

SW 80ED, NEQ6, ASI2600mc, L-eNhance
15 each 180s, 120s, and 60s gain 100.

This is a very quick hash through just to see what I got, stacked APP with Ha-Oiii colour algorith, PP in pixinsight. It a bit grainy when you zoom in tight, I think thats probably because I pushed it too far to get the outer dust and there was just not enough data for that.

ll res is here https://astrob.in/m1494i/0/

C&C very welcome.
Orion_firstlight_wip.jpg
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Ken_nneth Norway
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: First light ASI2600mc

Post by Ken_nneth »

Great capture, you got a lot with just 90 min. Congrats on new camera.
Clear Skies
Kenneth
[media][/size][/media]Kenneth
https://www.astrobin.com/users/Ken_nneth/

ZWO SEESTAR S50
PixInsight
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Wonderful image and congratulations on your new camera David!

You will be doing some fine work together! Looking forward to your upcoming images!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

That looks like one fantastic camera! Beautiful capture ... especially with only 90 minutes.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Awesome camera and capture. I've been thinking of selling my 533 and move up to this one.

Are you seeing any signs of amp glow? Might be tough to tell with only 180 second subs.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Nice work here, great work on the core, nicely balanced.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Mac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 pm Awesome camera and capture. I've been thinking of selling my 533 and move up to this one.

Are you seeing any signs of amp glow? Might be tough to tell with only 180 second subs.
Hi Steve, thanks for that. Yes, I think it is extremely promising.

On AMP glow there is NOTHING showing on a streched MasterDark of 240s at gain 100, minus10c. Attached is a jpeg of that. Thats with a moderate to strong stretch applied. I have done some darks at 10min just to see - I didnt save them cause right now I'll never do that long, and they looked exactly the same - no evidence of amp glow at all.

I think the 533 is a great camera with probably not that much to draw between it and the 2600mc- for me it all came down to the sensor size and therefore FOV (and to a lesser degree shape - just not keen on that square). Also the heater on the 2600 window was a factor as I am plagued with dew.The 16 bit was another factor but I dont think that really makes that much difference for the types of image I'm likely to take. But there is a BIG difference in cost.

HTH

David
MD-APP_240s_G100_O50_-10c-St.jpg
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Jockinireland wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:28 pm
I think the 533 is a great camera with probably not that much to draw between it and the 2600mc- for me it all came down to the sensor size and therefore FOV (and to a lesser degree shape - just not keen on that square). Also the heater on the 2600 window was a factor as I am plagued with dew.The 16 bit was another factor but I dont think that really makes that much difference for the types of image I'm likely to take. But there is a BIG difference in cost.

Thanks for that David.

That's very promising. The 533 FOV is something to consider but the cost of the 2600 is a bigger issue :D
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Mac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 pm
Jockinireland wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:28 pm

Thanks for that David.

That's very promising. The 533 FOV is something to consider but the cost of the 2600 is a bigger issue :D
Isn’t it just, I’m surprised ZWO, don’t have a trade-in and reconditioned sales program. It would probably not make financial sense as the administration costs would be high.

The 533 was a budgetary reach for me, plus my skill set doesn’t justify the cost.

Yours clearly do Steve, as do David’s.

G’wan, you know you want to. :D
Cheers,

Tony.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Greenman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 pm
Isn’t it just, I’m surprised ZWO, don’t have a trade-in and reconditioned sales program. It would probably not make financial sense as the administration costs would be high.

The 533 was a budgetary reach for me, plus my skill set doesn’t justify the cost.

Thanks Tony... a bit over a year ago I lacked the skills. I have a far ways to go to get to the level of many on this forum. Practice, practice and having the Obs in the backyard give me much more opportunity for imaging.

I would rather keep the 533 or sell to a local enthusiast before considering a trade to ZWO. If I get a better mount I would put the 533 on the Radian Raptor on top of the ED102 scope. It's a bit heavy for my AVX but I am going to give it a go this weekend when some clear skies are predicted.
Steve

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Mac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:23 pm

Thanks Tony... a bit over a year ago I lacked the skills. I have a far ways to go to get to the level of many on this forum. Practice, practice and having the Obs in the backyard give me much more opportunity for imaging.
You are being way too modest Steve. I have never seen anyone getting that much out of an AVX since geethq (not sure where he went), but you took it to a new level. If we all followed your logic the camera vendors would be bankrupt.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful image! Great job!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:33 pm You are being way too modest Steve. I have never seen anyone getting that much out of an AVX since geethq (not sure where he went), but you took it to a new level. If we all followed your logic the camera vendors would be bankrupt.
Thanks Henk. I am sure my mount wasn't made on a Friday afternoon!

I think I've kept AgenaAstro, OPT and ZWO in the green this past year. I am thinking of a new mount this year too, an EQ6-R Pro. :D We don't live forever.
Steve

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Mac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:23 pm

I would rather keep the 533 or sell to a local enthusiast before considering a trade to ZWO. If I get a better mount I would put the 533 on the Radian Raptor on top of the ED102 scope. It's a bit heavy for my AVX but I am going to give it a go this weekend when some clear skies are predicted.
I would be interested to see how that goes, a Raptor and a 533 is an interesting combo. I’ve seen the AVX with up to 3 weights on with unextended legs supporting much more than you would think possible and still imaging well. Mind you, I expect you need solid ground for those monsters. :o
Cheers,

Tony.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very nice image David and congrats on getting the new camera.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations on the new Camera!!!!

It looks like it's going to get a good workout!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Davie - Congratulations on the new camera. That's a beautiful image considering the limited time. I'm astounded at the dynamic range because the Trapezium (4 bright stars at the core) are usually blown out, but, they are clearly discernable in your image. That's a real feat considering you also brought out the surrounding dust. Lovely colors and details. I can't imagine a better image with only 90 min total exposure. This camera looks like the real deal!

Cheers,

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thanks so much for that @STEVE333 , I really appreciate it. I used the three different exposures, HDR Composition and HDRMT in PI and was pretty astonished when it came out so well. The noise is a bit intrusive in some of the clouds and I was putting it down to the short integration. But looking back at my interim images it seems that a least some of it came out of the DBE Process. Before DBE there was what seemed to be a strong gradient top left to bottom right, despite the fact that this was with a l-enhance , but moon was bright and Orion was low above the lights of Galway to my west. I'm trying some repros with reduced or no BE but not really succeeding.

I know you are a dab-hand with PI so would you have any thoughts or suggestions?

But yes the camera does seem like it's a bit special.

Thanks again

David

STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Jockinireland wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:57 pm Thanks so much for that @STEVE333 , I really appreciate it. I used the three different exposures, HDR Composition and HDRMT in PI and was pretty astonished when it came out so well. The noise is a bit intrusive in some of the clouds and I was putting it down to the short integration. But looking back at my interim images it seems that a least some of it came out of the DBE Process. Before DBE there was what seemed to be a strong gradient top left to bottom right, despite the fact that this was with a l-enhance , but moon was bright and Orion was low above the lights of Galway to my west. I'm trying some repros with reduced or no BE but not really succeeding.

I know you are a dab-hand with PI so would you have any thoughts or suggestions?

But yes the camera does seem like it's a bit special.

Thanks again

David

There is always some noise around. Here is a technique you can try to see how it works for you.

1) Make a clone of your image.
2) Apply the clone to your original image as a mask.
3) Invert the mask.
4) Open TGVDenoise and adjust the parameters to match those shown in the image below.
TGVDenoise.PNG

5) Apply TGVDenoise to your original image (with the inverted mask on it).

You should see a nice reduction in the noise.

Inverting the mask protects the bright areas while the noise in the darker areas will be significantly reduced.

Hope it works well for you.

If you need more information about how to perform any of the steps let me know. I'm just heading to bed and getting my second vaccination shot tomorrow.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures