LVAS Virtual Star Party.

See sub forums
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

LVAS Virtual Star Party.

Post by AstroBee »

Our local club, like many other astronomy clubs, has been itching to get back out with the general public since the virus hit. Since then, starting in May 2020, we've been doing virtual star parties where several members are online, sharing their computer screens via Zoom and Facebook Live. We take turns sharing whatever happens to be overhead at the time. Last night, Saturday, January 16th, was our latest event. The way it works is we take turns sharing our screens so I would start sharing at the beginning of the exposure and we would talk about the subject and explain what's going on while the LiveStack image continues to build. Because I live in the Las Vegas suburbs under Bortle 8-9ish skies, I'm limited to either narrowband or very short broadband exposures. Also, since I'm shooting with a monochrome camera, all of my "Live" images are monochrome. I use SharpCapPro and the LiveStack feature to automatically combine and process these images instantly for the viewers.

With the weather cooperating for us last night, we were live for 3 hours.

Here are a few images I shared. M31 is always a crowd-pleaser because of its huge size and brightness. This is 5 minutes of 15-second exposures, Luminance filter. More time is definitely needed to clean up some of the noise but I thought we would only be live for 60 minutes so I moved on to other targets.

Next up, while someone else was sharing views from their locations I set up for the Crab nebula, M1. This is one hour of 3-minute exposures, Baader 7nm Ha filter.

And my final image for the group was this shot of the Horsehead and Flame nebula. This was 30 minutes of Ha data with 2-minute exposures.

After we said goodbye to the public and signed off, the weather was still cooperating, the mount was tracking well and this pair was finally rising above the neighbor's roof so I decided to fool around and stack 2 hours of 5 minute exposures in Ha. I'm fairly impressed with this shot because I rarely go after galaxies from my backyard.
M81-M82 Bode's Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy.

All in all, it was a great evening with lots of interesting questions from our live audience. Still not the same as the face-to-face real parties but doing these virtual parties give us the opportunity to introduce the general public to some things that they simply cannot see in the eyepiece like the Horsehead Nebula. If you are a member of an astronomy club I would highly recommend doing this if you haven't thought about it yet.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Re: LVAS Virtual Star Party.

Post by helicon »

Excellent outreach and a great idea to use Zoom to share your images Greg. I hope other clubs (including mine) follow suit.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: LVAS Virtual Star Party.

Post by AstroBee »

Yeah, our first one was a bit rough, getting the kinks worked out, but they go pretty smooth now.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com