Artificial star - what am I missing

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Artificial star - what am I missing

Post by turboscrew »

I've seen a formula θ = 1.22 λ/D here and there, but as if it's used in two "meanings".
Sometimes the θ is taken to be the (half of) angular size of the artificial star that is just beyond resolution.
Sometimes it's the angle of the first minimum of the airy disk from the normal going through the middle of the aperture.

How does an artificial star form an airy disk? I'd think there were two angles: the angular size of the artificial star and the angle from the normal where the first minimum of the diffraction pattern emerges.

And in case of reflectors, which is the aperture? The tube or the mirror?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Artificial star - what am I missing

Post by OzEclipse »

Aperture is the mirror.

Another version of the formula θ(arc sec) = 4.5/D(inches) is probably easier to use. For your XV12 that is 0.375".

At 100 m distance, a pinhole needs to be < 0.2mm. Pretty easy to achieve with a small hole poked in aluminium foil. And then if you reflect this in a stainless steel polished ball bearing or other curved surface, you will have a very small point light source.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

OK, the tube doesn't make the diffraction pattern on the mirror, but the mirror makes it on the image?
But θ = 1.22 λ/D still bothers me. It's the angle of first diffraction ring (minimum = airy disk edge), but it seems to be also used as the limit of the telescope resolution (target object angular size).

Or maybe the angle is so small anyway, that it can be considered a point source, and only the airy disk size matters, and the magnification can be neglected?
In that case you start from the airy disk, and work backwards. The maximum angular size of the artificial star (from primary mirror to the artificial star) IS the angular size of the airy disk in the image (as seen from the primary mirror)?
And the angle is considered so small that the magnification doesn't have any notable effect (zero times magnification is still zero)?
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Something like this...?
airy_disk.jpg
- Juha

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

The star, real or artificial, radiates light that illuminates the entire lens or mirror which then focusses it down to a point. Yes the first Airy disc radius is the resolution limit for two point sources. Closer than that and the Airy discs overlap. The other reason for putting the artificial star a long way out is so that you can reach focus. A close point source will come to focus way out past the normal plane of focus. You may not reach it or need to use a lot of extension.
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

The distance criterion has to do with how different the wave front of a star at infinity vs. a perfect pinhole at a finite distance looks at the focal plane. Nils Olof Carlin explains this at http://web.telia.com/~u41105032/misc/nulltest.htm . This does not involve Dawes criterion at all. Nils does not consider the size of the pinhole, perhaps that is less critical than the distance but there should be math for it too.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:56 am The distance criterion has to do with how different the wave front of a star at infinity vs. a perfect pinhole at a finite distance looks at the focal plane. Nils Olof Carlin explains this at http://web.telia.com/~u41105032/misc/nulltest.htm . This does not involve Dawes criterion at all. Nils does not consider the size of the pinhole, perhaps that is less critical than the distance but there should be math for it too.
It's hard to follow that. It mostly about spherical aberration even if it mentions collimation too.
I guess KE = knife edge, but what are s and t? Deviations of light paths due to mirror being paraboloid instead of spherical?
- Juha

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The formula I posted in the other thread is an adaption of Nils Olof Carlin maths for this.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:19 pm The formula I posted in the other thread is an adaption of Nils Olof Carlin maths for this.
What I wonder is:
Isn't R ~ 115.9/A the anglular size of airy disk?
And what has that to do with the angular size of the artificial star?

AH! the Rayleigh limit is the angle between two stars that can (barely) be separated, because the airy disks overlap half way. It gives a two peak curve.
But then, why doesn't focal length (magnification) affect the angular distance of the stars? Or do two stars with angular separation θ cause two airy disks with angular separation of also θ? Kind of sounds odd. I would have thought that magnification would made the separation of airy disks bigger.

My problem is not calculating that, but the thinking behind the math.
- Juha

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

turboscrew wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:27 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:19 pm The formula I posted in the other thread is an adaption of Nils Olof Carlin maths for this.
What I wonder is:

AH! the Rayleigh limit is the angle between two stars that can (barely) be separated, because the airy disks overlap half way. It gives a two peak curve.
But then, why doesn't focal length (magnification) affect the angular distance of the stars? Or do two stars with angular separation θ cause two airy disks with angular separation of also θ? Kind of sounds odd. I would have thought that magnification would made the separation of airy disks bigger.

The diameter controls the angular size of the airy disk and hence the Rayleigh limit. Varying the focal length only changes the linear image size of the airy disk but not the angular size.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:21 am
turboscrew wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:27 pm
What I wonder is:

The diameter controls the angular size of the airy disk and hence the Rayleigh limit. Varying the focal length only changes the linear image size of the airy disk but not the angular size.
Now I got it. This picture helped me to finally get it.
off_axis.jpeg
off_axis.jpeg (11.04 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
This is about spherical mirror, but it's the same thing with parabolic. And this, of course, also applies to convex mirror.
The false image just forms behind the mirror.
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:56 am The distance criterion has to do with how different the wave front of a star at infinity vs. a perfect pinhole at a finite distance looks at the focal plane. Nils Olof Carlin explains this at http://web.telia.com/~u41105032/misc/nulltest.htm . This does not involve Dawes criterion at all. Nils does not consider the size of the pinhole, perhaps that is less critical than the distance but there should be math for it too.
I tried to figure out the link, but I couldn't.

For the Y-B distance, I got: (Y-B)^2 = B^2 + (1 - 2B/2R)Y^2 + ((1/2R)^2)(Y^4)
Carlin's equal was: (Y-B)^2 = B^2 + (Y^2 - 2B(1/2R)Y^2) + ((1/2B - 1/2R)^2)(Y^4)
I can't figure out the (1/2B - 1/2R) instead of (1/2R) in the last term.
And I haven't figured out the t and s.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:56 am The star, real or artificial, radiates light that illuminates the entire lens or mirror which then focusses it down to a point. Yes the first Airy disc radius is the resolution limit for two point sources. Closer than that and the Airy discs overlap. The other reason for putting the artificial star a long way out is so that you can reach focus. A close point source will come to focus way out past the normal plane of focus. You may not reach it or need to use a lot of extension.
There's more to it. Only from infinity will a light bundle parallel to the optical axis focus to a point, for a parabolic reflector. When the light source is not at infinity, there will be spherical aberration and light emitted by a point source will no longer focus to a point. How bad that is depends on F ratio, for instance. This will affect the Airy disk pattern as well.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:32 pm
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:56 am The star, real or artificial, radiates light that illuminates the entire lens or mirror which then focusses it down to a point. Yes the first Airy disc radius is the resolution limit for two point sources. Closer than that and the Airy discs overlap. The other reason for putting the artificial star a long way out is so that you can reach focus. A close point source will come to focus way out past the normal plane of focus. You may not reach it or need to use a lot of extension.
There's more to it. Only from infinity will a light bundle parallel to the optical axis focus to a point, for a parabolic reflector. When the light source is not at infinity, there will be spherical aberration and light emitted by a point source will no longer focus to a point. How bad that is depends on F ratio, for instance. This will affect the Airy disk pattern as well.
And it also depends on the distance of the star image from the optical axis?
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Carlin's equal was: (Y-B)^2 = B^2 + (Y^2 - 2B(1/2R)Y^2) + ((1/2B - 1/2R)^2)(Y^4)
Sorry for replying late. I wanted to wait until I did the math from scratch and I am slowly getting there. Nils Olof is no longer here so all we can say is that his article is short on details that he left out to keep it readable. He mentioned that there was some grueling algebra behind it, which I am finding out, well not too bad really but I'm getting there. What else is there to do with travel restrictions, vacation and rain outside!

Your Y-B squared distance is simply based on the Pythagorean sum of squares between the points Y and B, accounting for the offset Y^2/2R due to the curvature. This is not the distance that matters. What matters is the phase difference relative to the ideal circular wave front, which is quite different from that at the intersection of the Y axis. Nils Olof defines s and t as the errors relative to that circular wave front.

Here's what I think (but I am not certain about it). His B term for instance, is (B-Y^2/2R)+Y^2/2B. The term within parentheses is the distance between B and the vertical down from Y. The last term is a correction term for a circle of radius B with B at the center (just like you would get Y^2/2R at the center radius R). The t is defined relative to the circle with center B, likewise s is related to a analogous circle around A. They are defined implicitly and must be derived in the solution to the problem.

PS I should have mentioned that the distance is valid for wave fronts that center exactly around a point. The trouble is that this only happens with rays coming from infinity, not from a finite distance. That discrepancy is what is causing the problem, I believe.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:29 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Sorry for replying late. I wanted to wait until I did the math from scratch and I am slowly getting there. Nils Olof is no longer here so all we can say is that his article is short on details that he left out to keep it readable. He mentioned that there was some grueling algebra behind it, which I am finding out, well not too bad really but I'm getting there. What else is there to do with travel restrictions, vacation and rain outside!

Your Y-B squared distance is simply based on the Pythagorean sum of squares between the points Y and B, accounting for the offset Y^2/2R due to the curvature. This is not the distance that matters. What matters is the phase difference relative to the ideal circular wave front, which is quite different from that at the intersection of the Y axis. Nils Olof defines s and t as the errors relative to that circular wave front.

Here's what I think (but I am not certain about it). His B term for instance, is (B-Y^2/2R)+Y^2/2B. The term within parentheses is the distance between B and the vertical down from Y. The last term is a correction term for a circle of radius B with B at the center (just like you would get Y^2/2R at the center radius R). The t is defined relative to the circle with center B, likewise s is related to a analogous circle around A. They are defined implicitly and must be derived in the solution to the problem.

PS I should have mentioned that the distance is valid for wave fronts that center exactly around a point. The trouble is that this only happens with rays coming from infinity, not from a finite distance. That discrepancy is what is causing the problem, I believe.
I read that twice, but I guess I'll read it 3rd time tomorrow with the Carlin's page open aside.
- Juha

Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:29 pm
What matters is the phase difference relative to the ideal circular wave front, which is quite different from that at the intersection of the Y axis. Nils Olof defines s and t as the errors relative to that circular wave front ... for instance ... (B-Y^2/2R)+Y^2/2B. The term within parentheses is the distance between B and the vertical down from Y. The last term is a correction term for a circle of radius B with B at the center (just like you would get Y^2/2R at the center radius R). The t is defined relative to the circle with center B, likewise s is related to a analogous circle around A. They are defined implicitly and must be derived in the solution to the problem...
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Umm...
Here's what I think (but I am not certain about it). His B term for instance, is (B-Y^2/2R)+Y^2/2B. The term within parentheses is the distance between B and the vertical down from Y. The last term is a correction term for a circle of radius B with B at the center (just like you would get Y^2/2R at the center radius R).
Y^2/2R is the curve of the mirror - a parabola whose focal point is F (= R/2 here).
{ For parabola y = a(x-x0)^2+y0, vertex is (x0, y0) and focal point is (X0, y0+1/(4a)) }
And Y^2/2B is.. what? At least Carlin says that:
Consider a point on the mirror, at a radius Y from the optical axis. The distances from this point to the KE and source, respectively, are taken to be:

(A + (Y2/2)(1/A - 1/R) + s) and (B + (Y2/2)(1/B - 1/R) + t);
I just can't see how the Y^2/2B fits into the "distance from this point to source".
:angry-banghead:
I wish Carlin would have been a bit more verbose...
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I attached my calculations about how rays emanating from a point source that is placed at a finite distance from a parabolic mirror, are reflected. It is just geometry based and exact in the sense that no ideal lens formulas are used that assume some approximation.

While I obtained closed formulas for the points of intersections with the optical axis and corresponding path lengths to those points, it does not really say anything about Airy discs because I have no clue how interference of rays in close proximity is described. I found P-V values numerically based on finding the points where the deviation from the optical axis is minimal, for a number of use cases.

All this is probably worth nothing but it resulted in some pretty pictures, I attached one here.
demo4_100_zoom.gif
I also attached the Scilab script to execute the math, for who wants to make more pretty pictures.
Attachments
artificialStar.zip
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
artificialStar.pdf
(794.28 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Man, you've been working!
And thanks, I'll dig into them.
- Juha