Pleiades 2020 version

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Pleiades 2020 version

Post by bobharmony »

I caught a little light on M45 a couple of years back at the end of a long night of collecting M33 subs. It really didn't do justice to the nebulosity and I wanted to get out and give it a real run. Wednesday night (coldest of the season so far) was that chance.

It was an auspicious start as after I placed the tripod in its marks, installed all the gear and wired up, then went to drift align, I found I was within two arc-minutes of the pole. I took that as a good omen and moved along. It was the first time I haven't had to make any tweaks to the alignment when setting up.

Next was focusing. Because it was still too early for Aldebaran or Capella to be high enough in my sky. I slewed to Caph and started there. I haven't quite gotten the knack of using the Bahtinov mask tool in APT, so I have been using the FWHM/HFD measurement to fine tune the focus. That went OK and I was able to slew over to my target for framing.

One thing I have noticed in earlier images is that the coma correction hasn't been quite what I expected. After reading through Toms thread, I spent some time earlier this week validating that the back focus spacing was actually 55mm (44 for the Canon and 11 for the t-ring). I also decided to remove the stop-ring from the back of the CC to allow the front face of the t-ring to sit flush with the top of the focuser tube. As I tightened the locking nuts on the focuser I applied even pressure to the back of the camera to keep everything as flush as possible while securing the DSLR/CC into the drawtube. I like the results better than any I have seen thus far.

By 1915 I started collecting 180 second subs and ran until about 0100 Thursday morning when the clouds started to move in. During that time I got 84 subs and APT did an automatic meridian flip - I love the tool for that capability. I wound up tossing 6 subs because they were somewhat invaded by clouds and had a lighter background than the rest. I calibrated with 81 flats and 81 dark flats. I like this combination better than flats and a master bias, it seems to produce better results for me. I also passed on adding any darks as I had nothing nearly cold enough in the library and as the temps had dropped to 17F I didn't want to spend more time collecting them. Frost was forming on the OTA and camera and I didn't want to keep them out in the air either. I find that dithering between each image does a decent job of reducing noise when I get this many subs.

Data was calibrated and stacked with DSS and post-processed using StarTools 1.6.382. I tried first with 1.7.447 but I still don't have the hang of the new modules and terminology yet. I will go back and try again. The 1.7 version did keep more faint nebulosity, but felt a bit "unkempt" to me. I used a pretty standard process for me - Autodev, Bin, Crop, Wipe, Autodev w/ROI selected, Deconvolution, HDR, Sharpen, Color, and de-noise classic. Went over to PhotoShop, but just to save the upload jpg file - no adjustments done there.
M45 KS-38.jpg
Comments and suggestions are encouraged.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Pleiades 2020 version

Post by messier 111 »

in my eyes, it's very pretty.
the nebulosity is superb.
thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Looks great! Well done!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Looks good to my eyes Bob.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a thing of beauty Bob! The nebulosity around Merope is really detailed.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Outstanding image Bob!

The sparkle, nebulosity, color and dustiness are all there in fine form!

You really did a nice job on this version for sure. One of your best images! Definitely for the "Wall"!

Just to note, the Batinov Tool in APT in Live View worked very well for me. Early on, I found lots of jumpiness until I set the stack count to 10-15. You might have already tried that, but it really settled things down for me. Now with the ASI camera, I use 5 second exposures and it takes a bit longer, but works great.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful image!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Twinle, twinkel not-so-little stars. Beautiful.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm Outstanding image Bob!

The sparkle, nebulosity, color and dustiness are all there in fine form!

You really did a nice job on this version for sure. One of your best images! Definitely for the "Wall"!

Just to note, the Batinov Tool in APT in Live View worked very well for me. Early on, I found lots of jumpiness until I set the stack count to 10-15. You might have already tried that, but it really settled things down for me. Now with the ASI camera, I use 5 second exposures and it takes a bit longer, but works great.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful image!
Thanks, Jim. I am pretty pleased with this one. Thanks for the info on the baht mask tool. I rarely (if ever) use the "Live View" function in an effort to keep the sensor from heating up. Over a six hour period it probably doesn't make much difference. :) I take single images using the "Shoot" button and load the Baht tool to analyze the output. It tends to go to 0.00 offset very quickly no matter what the diffraction image looks like. A problem on my part, I'm sure. I just need to get used it it. It is the only feature that makes me want to go back to BYEOS sometimes.
Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 am That's a thing of beauty Bob! The nebulosity around Merope is really detailed.

Regards

Graeme
Thank you Graeme. I am really happy with the detail in this one. Not that I won't reprocess it a few times, who can resist tinkering!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

BigKahuna United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BigKahuna »

Bob, that looks great. Love the C6N for imaging. 2 thumbs up.
Telescopes/Mounts : Explore Scientific ED102 or Celestron C6N on AVX, 8SE OTA on ASGT, NexStar 114GT/AZ, Meade ETX-90EC w/ Observer Base, Orion XT10i
Binoculars: Pentax 10x50
Camera : ZWO 533MC Pro, Canon EOS Rebel T6, ZWO ASI224MC

Clear Skies,
Ron
Member ASTRA-NJ

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I really like it Bob, and the twinkling nature of the stars really shows.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Bob. A superb M45 (Pleiades or Seven Sisters). This is my favorite DSO and a sign of the upcoming winter in our skies. Excellent contrast and beautiful blue reflection nebulosity in your work. And as Graeme said, you did a great job with the Merope Nebula details too. Thanks for sharing your capture with us on here Bob, and the best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Very nice Bob, that coma corrector works really well! All stars are perfectly round. You captured some great nebulosity.

I just ordered a fancy Paracorr because of Tom's experiences, but yours seems to work great. Yours is an F/5 though while mine (once I receive it, I have to wonder if I ever will) will be F/4 like Tom's so maybe that's the difference.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Beautiful capture Bob!! Soooo much nebulosity! Just a GREAT JOB!!
Tom
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:25 pm Very nice Bob, that coma corrector works really well! All stars are perfectly round. You captured some great nebulosity.

I just ordered a fancy Paracorr because of Tom's experiences, but yours seems to work great. Yours is an F/5 though while mine (once I receive it, I have to wonder if I ever will) will be F/4 like Tom's so maybe that's the difference.
Not to worry, Henk. I'm sure the Paracorr will do a better job at f/4. Keep in mind that it took me two years with the mkiii to get this nice a result. Getting everything aligned without threads in the draw tube has been a challenge.

Bob

depratnt United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

Very nice! I love the muted/subtle blues and the pinpoint stars. Excellent
Scopes: GSO 8rc
Mount: iOptron CEM60
Camera: ASI1600mm-PRO
Guide cam: QHY5L-ii monochrome
Filters: Astrodon Ha/Oiii )3nm) / LRGB
l
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

Beautiful!
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Sweet, Bob. Nice nebulosity. For some reason it reminds me of Christmas.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice 👍🙂
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Great image Bob. I particularly like how you have got the colours of the background stars so well defined.

I've given up with bahtinov tool in apt. I just "shoot" successive images under a magnifier tool and eyeball it. I guess if I pixel peep my focus may not be perfect but it's pretty close.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Most definitely a keeper, superb work. Well done Bob!
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447