I am looking for a filter for m42, your thoughts?

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I know it is very confusing filters, so I ask for your help please.
there is the uhc, uhc 2, the 0iii ...... ouuuuffffff.
I'm lost . for visual only .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: I am looking for a filter for m42, your thoughts?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I don't use the uhc etc. from experience. They disappoint me by darkening the image and not enhancing contrast sufficiently.

The OIII filters only work well on planetary nebulae and won't do a thing for M42. The ionization temperature of M42 is too low to excite the line emissions appreciably. OIII is great on many planetary nebula.

For M42 and similar lower temperature nebulae (than planetaries anyway) I've found the H-beta filter to be smashingly good! The H-beta line is near the peak sensitivity of the eye so the dimming is tolerable and the increase in contrast is very welcome. At the old site I posted an observing report where I toured Orion's nebulae with an H-beta filter. I was even able (on an exceptionally dark, clear night) to detect the Horsehead nebula using my 80mm SV ED80 f7 and a 2" H-beta filter on a Panoptic 35mm eyepiece. Scanning M42 itself was a real treat with fine filamentary details showing where the shock fronts in the gas were.

I use the Baader H-beta some folks also use Astronomik and Lumicon. They are all of good optical quality. Disappointment with filters is mostly from folks going cheap and getting something that degrades the image.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Have you compared your beta to an H alpha?
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:57 am Have you compared your beta to an H alpha?
Yes, just for grins. The sensitivity of the human eye peaks near H beta so for visual use the H beta is better. H alpha is better for astrophotography. I have the Baader H-alpha, H-beta, O III, and SII filters.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I thought the beta was for the horse head.

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

messier 111 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:02 pm I thought the beta was for the horse head.
It is much more generally useful than that! I've used it on the Flame Nebula in Auriga and the Christmas Tree in Monoceros. Seeing is believing. It is my favorite filter for not-a-planetary nebula. Restricting it to the Horsehead makes no sense to me or my eyes.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

― Isaac Asimov

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

The transmission graphs in your second reference look interesting.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Your first link is a resource I'm familiar with and with which I disagree, emphatically. UHC filters are to my eyes pretty much useless. Your link underestimates the usefulness of H-beta badly. I used to follow the recommendations of that link and was surprised to find that when I stepped outside its limitations things were better. Knisely's recommendations are subjective. So are mine. I can't recommend following his because in my experience, they are not helpful.

I bought an H-beta filter specifically for the Horsehead. On a whim I tried it on M42. Imagine my surprise when it outperformed Knisely's suggestion at almost anything I pointed it towards.

@j.gardavsky is the forum expert on filter usage. It would be useful if he could weigh in.

The second link is factual and therefore agreeable.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 pm
Your first link is a resource I'm familiar with and with which I disagree, emphatically. UHC filters are to my eyes pretty much useless. Your link underestimates the usefulness of H-beta badly. I used to follow the recommendations of that link and was surprised to find that when I stepped outside its limitations things were better. Knisely's recommendations are subjective. So are mine. I can't recommend following his because in my experience, they are not helpful.

I bought an H-beta filter specifically for the Horsehead. On a whim I tried it on M42. Imagine my surprise when it outperformed Knisely's suggestion at almost anything I pointed it towards.

@j.gardavsky is the forum expert on filter usage. It would be useful if he could weigh in.

like i said, i just find it interesting. also, it uses a 10inch most of the time.
I wonder if in a 4.75 it's worth it?

good idea .

― Isaac Asimov

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

messier 111 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 pm

like i said, i just find it interesting. also, it uses a 10inch most of the time.
I wonder if in a 4.75 it's worth it?

good idea .
I used it happily in my Stellarvue ED 80mm Access from a dark site.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

well finally I spoke with the people at the store where I go for my astronomical things, they let them try the filters.
h beta.
o111.
uhc lpr.
all filters are Baader.

So as soon as the weather on my side, I will do the necessary tests.
and I will take my decision at that time.

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I was finally able to try the uhc filter (celestron baader) on m42.

Bortle scale 8-9 where I live.

I was very surprised with the result because at the beginning I was skeptical about filters in general.
but I must say that the filter sewn my mouth.
it was wonderful .
the nebula was much larger and more light.
such that I removed the filter to see the difference.
I put the filter back on.

I have other filters to test but the weather does not cooperate with my part of the sky at the moment.

― Isaac Asimov