ram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Squid nebula Ou4 (c-orgb)

Post by ram »

Also includes: v419 Cephei.
ou4_O3.v1.28_480.jpg
Total integration: 3280 minutes/~55 hours (*632 x 300s for O3 + **60 x 120s for OSC).

Cameras: *QHY163M (16mp mono) and **QHY247C (24mp OSC) CMOS cooled to -20 and -15 degrees C.
Telescopes: *Takahashi FC100DF Steinheil fluorite doublet and **Stellarvue SV70T triplet apochromat refractors @ f/4.9 and @ f/4.8.
Reducers: *Takahashi FC-35 (0.66x) and SFFR70-APO (0.8x).
Mount: Paramount MyT.
Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3, 3nm S2 and **2" Baader UV-IR-Cut
Software: TheSkyX Pro, Sharpcap, PixInsight.

Full resolution images of all versions are available at https://www.astrobin.com/jdaa90/ and of the primary image at http://ram.org/images/space/scope/1.4+7 ... 0m_55h.jpg

The Squid nebula (ou4) occupies over one degree of the night sky, representing the largest angular extent ever found in a planetary nebula. Known colloquially as the giant squid nebula, it is physically nearly 50 light years across. This bipolar nebula could be one of the nearest of its type known, though its possible planetary nebula nature needs confirmation. Even though it is big and close, you're not likely to find it easily. It is an extremely faint nebula emitting primarily O3 signal and resides within the larger Flying Bat nebula (not shown here, yet) which tends to overshadow it, making it a challenging target to image.

The nebula is created by the outflow of material driven by a triple system of hot, massive stars catalogued as HR8119 (blue hypergiant) as well as the pulsating variable star v419 Cephei (red supergiant) seen near the center. While their shapes do their names justice, to me, the Squid seated within the Flying Bat more resembles a hand holding an infinity stone (viewed sideways).

This is the first image of my Flying Bat and Squid project/series, which became a huge undertaking for me, ending up with a total of more than 131 hours in the final integrated widefield image of both objects and a series of three main images with a few versions of each depending on the data set used for the integration.

In the first image, I am showcasing the Squid nebula by itself using only the O3 filter data, with and without RGB stars. The mono Squid imaged with the Takahashi FC100DF consists of ~53 hours of total exposure in O3, making it my single longest total exposure of a target with a particular framing with a specific filter/scope/camera combination. The RGB data collected using the QHY247C with the SV70T adds another two hours to the exposure. The total integration for the version with RGB stars is ~55 hours. I also captured another 5.5 hours of O3 data using my SV70T which is present in the final image in the series but I haven't created a separate Squid only image with that integration yet but I might if I get around to it.

There are six versions of the Squid only image at https://www.astrobin.com/jdaa90/ --- the difference between the two monochrome versions of the Squid is the application of HDR Multiscale Transform which reduces the halo on the central star as well as the amount of data used: (A) is based on the full ~53 hours whereas (B) is based on the best 40 hours. (C) and (D) are corresponding versions that combine O3 in the blue channel with RGB stars along with changes in the amount of saturation and brightness. Similarly with (E) and (F), but the Squid is in monochrome mixed with the RGB stars background.

After doing different versions of the Squid by itself, I worked on a narrowfield and widefield versions where it is situated between the wingspan of Flying Bat (coming soon in a separate thread). I started with data from the FC100DF/QHY163M combination which results in a total exposure of 78+ hours for SHO. The SV70T/QHY163M data used for the widefield framing representing another 51+ hours was also integrated in. The RGB data using the QHY247C with the SV70T adds another two hours. The total exposure of the final image with the narrowfield or widefield framing is 131+ hours, my longest to date!

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Squid nebula Ou4 (c-orgb)

Post by Jockinireland »

That is a fantastic image Ram. The amount of detail is just superb. Well done on your perseverance on the project and on the final image(s). I look forward to seeing the version with the bat but having the squid isolated like this is unusual but I think good as it takes away the distraction of the surrounding red Ha.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Ram.
Thank you for sharing this amazing image.
Looks that you have got yourself a full time project.
I look forward to seeing more images in this series.
Thank you for the share.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful! Great work, Ram!!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

superbly done ram! :)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Outstanding dedication!

Lovely image.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Ram,

To say this image is fantastic or stupendous is an understatement. It is masterful!

Superbly done,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Quite incredible. What dedication, and so many hours work, where do you find enough clear skies?

Have you got a final version together with the Bat?

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

[quote=ram post_id=116287 time=1601704828 user_id=231]
Also includes: v419 Cephei.

Total integration: 3280 minutes/~55 hours ...

... making it a challenging target to image.

Ghostly looking creature. Astounding detail, all the same.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ram »

Thank you all - I appreciate your kind words.

Carole, thanks. Luck I suppose - I actually feel I could use the time better but I was really busy with work until the end of last month it was just easy to keep going on this (and my other target IC443 I'm still trying to collect more data). For me, starting a new target is always more work than collecting data on an existing one so this one was an easy one to keep going on and I try to do one new target per moon cycle if it's a long project like this. We had a great August so most of it was done then. Besides being convenient, I also find the longer projects more satisfying. Before I got into AP, I did a lot of EAA and/or used remote telescopes there're hundreds of lo-fi images I've taken so I've done the "multiple images per night" thing before. At least with this much data I can put a lot of PI's signal processing statistics to the test. Finally as I reprocess some of my very first images due to gain in skill, I realised in many cases the problem is that I didn't collect enough data so I'm making sure that I collect enough that when I get better at this, the extra data will come in handy. Last year I did a 76 hour target and it came out okay but given what I know now, I believe I can do a LOT better on it and I have all that data to do it with.

That's a bit long winded for a rhetorical question, sorry!

As far as the final version of the Bat, no, I've not processed all the data yet (but I have collected enough). It's tricky since I have to integrate different exposure lengths and not sure what the best way is. I do have some test framings and such to see how I can integrate heterogenous data but it was done with a limited amount (about 1/5th of the total exposure so I could experiment more rapidly). Here's what the final wide field will look like for instance but this is like an early draft: http://ram.org/images/space/downloads/Image40.jpg

Thanks again! I hope everyone is staying safe and having clear skies!

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Congratulations on the APOD Ram

A very worthy winner.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

I tried to see the full version, but loading stopped after 12 minutes and 3/4 of the image. I'll try again later because the part I got to see is really good!

Congrats on the APOD!
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

WOW!! That is an ultra-faint target. But 55 hours of data pays off. Well done! That definitely deserves the APOD award.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Ram. Wow, 55 hours of data collection, but it was time well spent. A superb Squid Nebula image with an excellently detailed shape. Thanks for sharing this work with us Ram, and congratulations on winning the well deserved TSS APOD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

It's the most sensibly rendered Squid Nebula image I've seen of this DSO. It doesn't appear "over-processed" given the over-all smooth but delicate features within the nebula itself. Very nice stars, too. Super image, Ram. Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of color to this nebula which is probably why it looks so "ghostly" to me. Given the sheer length of this nebula, its mirror-image symmetry is quite remarkable in my view.

This image would make a great black velvet ionized Calamari art piece! Heh!

BTW, what kind of ionized gases would create this sort of blue-white coloration?
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ram »

Hank, thanks!

It's only O3 filter data aside from two hours. So it's all likely O3 or at least anything that emits that goes through that bandpass (O3 Astrodon 3nm). I believe there are other more complex molecule ionisations that may overlap with the O3 bandpass but Occam's razor is that it is O3 signal. There's nothing in Ha and S2.

So the colouring is artificial like with all narrowband images. I'm just assigning the O3 signal to the blue channel (mostly) which is what I'd end up doing in the final SHO image.

If you look at the Astrobin link, I provide the monochrome images which I think truly reflect what is being obtained from the filter. It'd be interesting to image this with an RGB set up and see what colour we get for the Squid. The two hours I did in RGB didn't get me anything in blue though I could see a fair amount of the bat in red. But then again, this is a very faint target.

The symmetric makes it known as a "bipolar nebula." Something I didn't know myself until this target. There was a paper I was reading about how these shapes happen

--Ram
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

A great image. And a huge effort collecting and ordening data.
Congratulations with the APOD!
The nebula itself looks a bit spooky to me. I strongly advise other viewers to click the full version in the link.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Oh wow, that's beautiful. Congratulations on the APOD
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

ram wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:46 am Here's what the final wide field will look like for instance but this is like an early draft: http://ram.org/images/space/downloads/Image40.jpg
It's going to look Amazing.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Just a beautiful image Ram. Congrats on winning the APOD.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N