Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

protoplanetary disc shredded by 3 central stars

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: protoplanetary disc shredded by 3 central stars

Post by helicon »

Just shows what can happen in incipient multiple star systems.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I guess 3-body system can be chaotic and 4-body system almost certainly is.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:06 pm I guess 3-body system can be chaotic and 4-body system almost certainly is.
The history of science can be measured in terms of the number of bodies for which stable solutions exist. With Newton it’s 2. With Einstein on the one hand and Heisenberg, Schroedinger, and Dirac on the other it’s reduced to 1. I suspect that in quantum gravity it might be 0. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:52 pm
turboscrew wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:06 pm I guess 3-body system can be chaotic and 4-body system almost certainly is.
The history of science can be measured in terms of the number of bodies for which stable solutions exist. With Newton it’s 2. With Einstein on the one hand and Heisenberg, Schroedinger, and Dirac on the other it’s reduced to 1. I suspect that in quantum gravity it might be 0. ;)
I didn't base my thought on much anything. I just thought that 3dr order differential equation can be chaotic, and 4th order in 3 dimensional space is overdetermined, so quite small perturbance probably causes a series, maybe endless series, of reorganizations...
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:58 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:52 pm
I didn't base my thought on much anything. I just thought that 3dr order differential equation can be chaotic, and 4th order in 3 dimensional space is overdetermined, so quite small perturbance probably causes a series, maybe endless series, of reorganizations...
I was just making a little remark on how tough things get, the more you know.

But I don’t understand your remarks about order and dimensions.

AFAIK:

In Newton the gravitational n body problem is 2nd order with 6n initial conditions in a 3n dimensional configuration space.

In Hamilton’s reformulation of Newton the n body problem is 1st order with 6n initial conditions in a 6n dimension symplectic phase space.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

It was just a quick idea. I somehow recall that a group of three 1st order differential equations makes it 3rd order.
If each one has a constraint, that would make three constraints (to make it stable). So 4th equation in the group would make it 4th order and add 4th constraint, but there is no orthogonal dimension where the constraints could "live" when the 4th constraint is added, so the 4th constraint would probably mess up with the other three.
I guess I'm not making much sense?
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:00 pm It was just a quick idea. I somehow recall that a group of three 1st order differential equations makes it 3rd order.
If each one has a constraint, that would make three constraints (to make it stable). So 4th equation in the group would make it 4th order and add 4th constraint, but there is no orthogonal dimension where the constraints could "live" when the 4th constraint is added, so the 4th constraint would probably mess up with the other three.
Order AFAIK usually refers to the highest number of time derivatives for a dynamical system. So in Newton’s picture that’s 2 (equations involving position) and in Hamilton’s picture (equations involving position and momentum) that’s 1 only but twice as many differential equations.

So I was puzzled.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:46 pm
turboscrew wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:00 pm It was just a quick idea. I somehow recall that a group of three 1st order differential equations makes it 3rd order.
Order AFAIK usually refers to the highest number of time derivatives for a dynamical system. So in Newton’s picture that’s 2 (equations involving position) and in Hamilton’s picture (equations involving position and momentum) that’s 1 only but twice as many differential equations.

So I was puzzled.
I'm puzzled. How can Lorenz system be chaotic then?
I think differential equation needs to be at least of 3rd order to be chaotic.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:10 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:46 pm

So I was puzzled.
I'm puzzled. How can Lorenz system be chaotic then?
It doesn't have to do with order or dimensionality. It comes from the nonlinear nature of the ODEs that describe the system. The behavior of the system is sensitive to initial conditions and the parameters of the problem. It takes a lot of work to describe it in detail. Fortunately there is a decent discussion on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenz_system

A related result that is more closely motivated by the classical gravity n body problem is the Kolmogorov-Arnold-Moser Theorem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogoro ... er_theorem

It is not widely appreciated that our Solar System is not stable but qualifies as chaotic: little perturbations can add up over time to produce big changes! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stability ... lar_System

Perhaps the planet with the most unstable orbit is Mercury! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stability ... _resonance
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I'm not at all surprised if solar system is chaotic. And it's, maybe, "natural selection", why our solar system is that stable. (At this point my math falls short - I don't know how to express things.) In a different, less stable "energy state", the solar system would probably have disintegrated by now.

What do you call separate subsets of a state space that the system can be in, such that the system can be pushed from one subset to another only by external perturbation?

Also, I realized that in English the expression is "system of (differential) functions", not "group of (differential) functions".
In Finnish the word is yhtälöryhmä (ryhmä = group).

Also, I sloppily talked about 3rd order differential equation when I really meant 3rd order system of differential equations. I've been in the belief that system of 3 first order differential equation can be written as one 3rd order differential equation and vice versa. Am I making any better sense?
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Yes, better sense.

The stable subsets of a phase or configuration space are called orbits. The formal definition of their stability is due to Lyapunov.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyapunov_stability
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:23 am Yes, better sense.

The stable subsets of a phase or configuration space are called orbits. The formal definition of their stability is due to Lyapunov.

Thanks. I also got another expression I tried to figure out earlier: "asymptotically stable".
I wonder if you can use that expression also with chaotic attractors - even if they don't have an exact orbit?
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:50 am

Thanks. I also got another expression I tried to figure out earlier: "asymptotically stable".
I wonder if you can use that expression also with chaotic attractors - even if they don't have an exact orbit?
Sounds like the concept of an attractor.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:31 am

I was thinking that chaotic attractor has nothing to be approached arbitrarily close to. So I guess it can't be "asymptotically stable", but just "stable". That is, if the system is forced outside of the orbit of its attractor, and it tends to return within.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:54 pm
I was thinking that chaotic attractor has nothing to be approached arbitrarily close to. So I guess it can't be "asymptotically stable", but just "stable". That is, if the system is forced outside of the orbit of its attractor, and it tends to return within.
An attractor can be asymptotically stable.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:51 pm

But chaotic attractor, Like Lorenzs? What is the attractor then getting arbitrarily close to?
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:58 pm
But chaotic attractor, Like Lorenzs? What is the attractor then getting arbitrarily close to?
The path of the system is arbitrarily close to the attractor.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:53 pm

Arbitrarily close to what?
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:07 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:53 pm
Arbitrarily close to what?
THAT! You're making this too hard..... Just because the set of points of an orbit is arbitrarily close to the a funny set doesn't mean that the set isn't asymptotically stable.