Skywatcher UWA Planetary Eyepieces

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
ChrisP90
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Skywatcher UWA Planetary Eyepieces

Post by ChrisP90 »

Evening all,

Does anyone have any experience with the following eyepieces?
I’ve been looking at investing into some planetary eyepieces but can find no recent reviews on them. I’m always wary of trusting reviews from any website..

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywat ... ieces.html

From what I’ve read, I’m leaning towards going for a 5mm EP.
However, I’ve had the following 4mm & 6mm recommended if they are a better choice.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328239856 ... sitedetail

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/327270274 ... sitedetail

Apologies for the million questions and posts, I am trying to learn as much as I can from online reading but I always find the best way is to chat to others myself.

In the meantime, I’m going back to the sticky post to try and get my head around how to choose a selection of eyepieces.

Thanks in advance,
CP.
Telescope: Skywatcher Heritage 130P
Camera: Canon EOS 450D
Complete Novice, hoping to build my collection and in turn my signature! :D
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: Skywatcher UWA Planetary Eyepieces

Post by Ruud »

Your telescope has a fast focal ratio, f/5. Most inexpensive eyepieces struggle with such a fast focal ratio. Sharpness drops off quickly toward the edge of the view.

I would advise a decent Barlow. I see that FLO has a 2.25x (link) for £39. A 2.25x Barlow will slow your telescope's focal ratio down to a much more forgiving f/5*2.25 = f/11.25. Many budget eyepieces work quite well at such a slow focal ratio.

With a 2.25x Barlow, a 10mm EP gives the magnification of a 10/2.25 = 4.4mm EP without Barlow and
with a 2.25x Barlow, a 25mm EP gives the magnification of a 25/2.25 = 11.1mm EP without.

Expect from a Barlow + budget eyepiece: more magnification, better edge performance and increased eye relief. There's a good chance that a Barlowed budget 25mm will give a much better experience than a bare budget 10mm.

Remember: more magnification spreads out the available light wider, so the image appears dimmer. Sometimes people think that Barlows dim the image, but it really is the higher magnification which does that.

---

btw, the Aliexpress EPs you link too may be just a little too cheap. Expect them to perform poorly. FLO's BST starguiders are good value for the £47 that they cost. They're probably the best budget choice for UK observers.
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

A 5mm sw uwa was included with my 120mm refractor. Was not impressed by this one. Kind of soft and fuzzy. I just bought a 6mm HR planetary from TS Optics Germany and it is great on the planets with my f4.6 newtonian. Did an article on it, was so impressed for under $60eu.
20200831_233716.jpg
Arizona- where the sky's are not cloudy all night.

Triple lensed fracs are so yummy when looking at planets.
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

That 66 degree 6mm is pretty good. Had one a few years ago with the 9mm in that line.

The TMB planetary that is real cheap has only 5 lenses inside and is not very good. The originals had 6 lenses, do not know of anyone except TS Optics selling them new. APM germany also sells them.

Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

Another one to consider are the Celestron Xcell LX, I kept the 5mm for a long time till I could afford pentax xw.

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I don't believe these EPs will be a good match for your scope.

If you don't mind short eye relief I would get Baader Classic Ortho 6mm instead.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader ... piece.html

If longer eye relief and wide field of view are priorities Celestron X-cel LX 5mm would be my second choice

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celest ... piece.html
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Good timing for some new eyepieces as the Mars' opposition is almost upon us.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

FLO also sells the 16, 7 and 4mm Nirvana: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-ey ... ieces.html

I have the 16mm (£79). It is incredibly good value. My best ever view of Jupiter was through the 16 mm Nirvana (barlowed, 196x).

The 4mm and 7mm are £69. Unfortunately II have no experience with these two.
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

I think Synta describe these sometimes as 'five element Plossls', which is a bit weird. I was using the 7mm (in a Vixen 2x Barlow) to view Mars recently. Predominantly because its filter thread is compatible with my Lumicon #11 filter and my 7mm Fujiyama orthoscopic isn't. I thought it held its own against the ortho'. Not sure if they're a similar design to the 'Planetary HR' range.