Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide - a personal observation

Post your comments in regards to recent Articles and Reviews.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

by kt4hx

Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide Authors: Ronald Stroyan, Uwe Glahn Publisher: Oculum –Verlag in collaboration with Cambridge University Press Year Published: 2018 I am sure many will recall that the release of the English version of the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (IDSA) in December of 2014, through...
Read more...
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide - a personal observation

Post by helicon »

Thanks very much for sharing the review Alan. Very interesting and instructive.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Large bright and boring DSO - I don't think I ever stumbled on description like that. Sounds a bit elitist to me. :)

Thanks for the thorough review Alan. I don't know if it was the intend but you have convinced me not to buy it. :D

IDSA itself is a whole other story, a must have for any observer.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 pm Thanks very much for sharing the review Alan. Very interesting and instructive.
Thanks Michael. I hope some find my impressions useful.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:59 pm Large bright and boring DSO - I don't think I ever stumbled on description like that. Sounds a bit elitist to me. :)

Thanks for the thorough review Alan. I don't know if it was the intend but you have convinced me not to buy it. :D

IDSA itself is a whole other story, a must have for any observer.
Thanks Andrey. Actually my intent was neither to encourage nor discourage someone purchasing the IDSG. As I said, I am glad I have it in my resource library, though I personally do not see it as something I would refer to on a regular basis. It is unfortunate that it has the issues that it does. But even had there been no locator legend errors, I still believe that omission of the basic data for each selected object is a mistake.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Hello Alan,
The IDSA and IDSG are in my possession too. I use the IDSA in favor of the Uranometria because of its handiness. I consider the IDSG just as a sort of reference work, more or less the same as you. No way it comes in the field. I agree with your conclusions.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:08 pm Hello Alan,
The IDSA and IDSG are in my possession too. I use the IDSA in favor of the Uranometria because of its handiness. I consider the IDSG just as a sort of reference work, more or less the same as you. No way it comes in the field. I agree with your conclusions.
Thank you John. In my case, at the dark site with the larger scope I utilize the IDSA a lot, but I also incorporate Uranometria at times because it does plot many more galaxies which are within reach for me there. But the IDSA sees the most regular field action. In terms of the IDSG, indeed it is a reference book. It is unfortunate that they chose to leave out the basic data for each object covered. But at that site I can envision for myself taking it into the field on thosee occasions when I plan to attack a particularly dim galaxy field, and having an image/sketch could be useful. But as you say, certainly not as a regular field companion.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

As a follow-up to my review, I will offer the below pdf to the masses. It is a guide that covers 7,000 DSOs with 650 images. Even though it is not keyed to the IDSA, it does contain the basic data that is missing within the IDSG. I cannot take any credit for its creation, as that was done my Michael Vaslov of http://www.deepskywatch.com/index.html, presenter of the Deep Sky Hunter Star Atlas. The many files that Michael has put together, including his atlas are free downloads, and I sincerely thank him for his love of astronomy, his hard work to put such documents together and his unselfishness in sharing them with the world. I will also add a thanks to Frankie (SpyderwerX) who posted this last fall over at the AF site, giving me the idea to bring it over here. Anyway, hope you enjoy it and can put it to good use. Now get out there and look up! :)
DSO-observer-guide-full.pdf
(22.42 MiB) Downloaded 195 times
Alan

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Thanks. I'll download when I get off my tablet and onto a proper device.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Hope you find it useful nFA. It does cross-reference to Uranometria 2K for those that have it.
Alan

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:33 am Hope you find it useful nFA. It does cross-reference to Uranometria 2K for those that have it.
It looks to be an excellent addition to my kit. Thanks!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Good deal. I did forget to mention something you found out when you opened it, that it does cut-off coverage at -60° declination. Still, that's a massive amount of data and a ton of potential targets :)
Alan