Deep Sky Objects and Their Observation

Post your comments in regards to recent Articles and Reviews.
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Deep Sky Objects and Their Observation

Post by Tillibobs »

Thank you for taking the time to produce this informative article.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Tillibobs wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:24 am Thank you for taking the time to produce this informative article.
Thank you Keith. I appreciate you taking the time to read through it. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Good stuff, my friend. This article is a boon to the forum and visual observing overall. Well done! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:21 pm Good stuff, my friend. This article is a boon to the forum and visual observing overall. Well done! :)
Thank you very much Bryan. I do hope it proves useful for those seeking to bolster their observing skills in diverse ways. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
PalomarJack
Earth Ambassador

Post by PalomarJack »

If you want to be more "poetic" read the observing lists by the greats. People like Reverend Webb, Admiral Smyth and others. Reading their entries is almost like you can see it in your mind, like a well written novel.
I'm here to do two things, build something and dump some light down it.

8" f/6 Newtonian on a German equatorial mount, all DIY.
DIY 90mm f/10 refractor on old medium duty Edmund Scientific German equatorial mount.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

PalomarJack wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:33 am If you want to be more "poetic" read the observing lists by the greats. People like Reverend Webb, Admiral Smyth and others. Reading their entries is almost like you can see it in your mind, like a well written novel.
Good point, I like Muirden as well.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
turonrambar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by turonrambar »

Hello kt4hx,

Thanks for a wonderful article on DSO observations. DSO's are my favorites' for observing, especially the Golubar Clusters like M13.
You pointed out in your article about the different features to be on the lookout for in DSO's. I found this interesting because i was
unaware these facts. So I have something to strive for in my future observing sessions. Thanks for the work you have done in putting
together your article, it was what I was looking for. I recommend this article, it is well written and highly informative.

Clear Skies
kip

:text-thankyoublue:
Meade OTA f/8 12” on a CEM120 iOptron Mount,
G10 One Shot CMOS Color Camera, QHY 2” Filter Wheel, QHY OAG, SVBony SV305 guide camera
Canon T3i 60D Prime Focus and Eyepiece Projection,
ASCOM 6.5 SP1, Windows 10 Professional
LX850 Mount, ETX125, LX200 f/10 8” GPS, Meade 6” f/4 Newton Reflector on an Equatorial Mount

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turonrambar wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:17 pm Hello kt4hx,

Thanks for a wonderful article on DSO observations. DSO's are my favorites' for observing, especially the Golubar Clusters like M13.
You pointed out in your article about the different features to be on the lookout for in DSO's. I found this interesting because i was
unaware these facts. So I have something to strive for in my future observing sessions. Thanks for the work you have done in putting
together your article, it was what I was looking for. I recommend this article, it is well written and highly informative.

Clear Skies
kip

:text-thankyoublue:
Thank you Kip. I am glad that you found it useful for your observational planning, and I hope it is proves of practical use in the field.

Seeing various details in DSOs is a skill that we should work toward. The more time we put in at the eyepiece, the more this skill solidfies. When we have been observing a few months it can be interesting to re-visit some objects that we first observed as beginners to see how our skills have improved. Over the course of time, with more and more observations under our belts, we gain perspective of what we are looking for, thus making the process of finding objects easier. Our eyes become accustomed to looking for varying levels of light within objects and that is when details begin to emerge and make sense.

I am also quite fond of globular clusters as they are my second favorite type of DSO after galaxies. Typically the first impression of globulars is that they all look alike, so when you've seen a few you've seen them all basically. That is most certainly not the case. While there are definitely some similarities between many of them, and aside from some being obviously much brighter than others, there are many subtle differences between them as well. The more globs that we observe the easier it becomes to notice the differences among them. Just because we don't always see the differences initially doesn't mean they aren't there. Being the kind of skilled observer we wish to become takes dedicated practice to train the eye, and the mind as well. So good luck with your observing and your progression along the learning curve. :)
Alan