Review: Skywatcher Evostar 100ED Refractor

Post your comments in regards to recent Articles and Reviews.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Review: Skywatcher Evostar 100ED Refractor

Post by Lowjiber »

I have eleven refractors, so I guess I might be a "frac-head".:lol: Three of the fracs are the SW Evostar ED series... Two (Yes Two!) 80ED (f/7.5) and a 100ED (f/9). One 80ED serves as my grab-n-go, and the other serves (along with the 100ED) my solar imaging needs with a Quark.

Before relaying my personal experience with these scopes, here's a review (Posted yesterday) by Ed Ting. If you're unfamiliar with Mr. Ting, he is one of the most objective of all the YouTubers when it comes to equipment reviews. I've been a subscriber for a long time and am sure you will be too after watching his review of the 100ED.:)

https://youtu.be/ReEIH8OTI3A

As Ed points out, the only "weak link" is the focuser. His comments about adjusting them is spot on... The two push-pull allen screws work very well to smooth out and increase the holding tension. I've done the same thing with my grab-n-go version. However, for the two (100mm & 80mm) that I use for solar imaging I swapped out the focusers simply to hold the added weight of the Quark and the cooled cam. Here's a pic of the 80ED with a 2.5" Moonlite...
SW 80ED.jpg

I'll mention here that both the 80ED & 100ED have the same diameter tube. Thus, the same focusers fit either version.

Performance of the ED glass matches, or out performs, my other two ED scopes... both Vixen brand. The day my SW 100ED arrived, myself and two other TSS members were scheduled for a night session in the desert. I decided to take the brand new scope along. We were all amazed by the color & details revealed with it... Jupiter knocked our socks off.:)

At f/9, the 100ED is indeed a bit slow for DSO imaging. Some minor vignetting at the very edges is present. However, it's not a problem with the Quark which has a 4.3x barlow built-in... At f/39 when imaging the sun minor vignetting is just something we have to deal with during the process stage.

Both versions come with an 8" Vixen-style dovetail. That's fine for visual, but a longer dovetail is necessary for Dec-balance when imaging with all that extra weight on the back end. On that subject, I'll mention that the Dielectric diagonal that comes with the scope is every bit as good as those I've paid over $200 for... I use the included diagonals for all my solar imaging.

In closing, if one is looking for some ED glass for visual or imaging, the Skywatcher Evostar scopes give plenty of bang-for-the-buck and will match, or out perform, scopes that cost twice that much. I recommend them highly.

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Review: Skywatcher Evostar 100ED Refractor

Post by messier 111 »

hi John ,
I agree with everything you say.
they are amazing and the price is more than ok.
very good review thank you.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nice review! I enjoyed the video review from Ed Ting too. I've had the SW and Orion versions at 80mm and 120mm and one example needed a little focuser adjustment. The Orion 80 is still "in the family" as my younger daughter's main scope. Thanks.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice review John! I had the same experience with Synta focusers. They are not bad once you re-grease and adjust the tension.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Excellent review John. Thanks for including the link to the Ed Ting piece. Happy Holidays!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

What a nice telescope that is, John!

I did now Ed Ting. I've been reading his reviews for years. He is the best! Somehow though, I missed that he has a YouTube channel and I am terribly grateful that you posted that link. I immediately subscribed. One thing Ed does to me: he gives me the urge to buy gear.

EDIT: The thank-you button has gone! Just when you need it most it disappears ...
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Yea , I had a long reply ready to post and it also disappeared , Anyway great review , love that ED glass !!
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Ruud wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:51 pm EDIT: The thank-you button has gone! Just when you need it most it disappears ...
Thanks for the kind responses. My "Like" button also disappeared.

I've been a fan of ED's for years and only recently discovered his YouTube site. That guy always stays cool as a cucumber.:)

Best,

John
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Great review John.
I have two of these fine tools.
Never disappointed!

Thank you for posting.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your review.
My newly bought Evostar (120) didn't make it to my home in mint condition, as a result of the transport. I expect that to be an exception. But once brought back into that condition it is a great telescope. Like Ed already says.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.