Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

Post your comments in regards to recent Articles and Reviews.
User avatar
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 6
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm
2
Location: San Diego, CA USA

TSS Awards Badges

Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#1

Post by Bigzmey »

Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)
by Bigzmey

A few years ago, I have upgraded my run of the mill Orion 9x50 RACI to the Stellarvue premium 9x50 RACI. It became quickly my favorite and since I typically deploy two scopes for observing, I finally decided to look for a second premium RACI. While exploring different options I have stumbled on the...
Read more...
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2246 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1770, S110: 77). Doubles: 1448, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 97
User avatar
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0
Posts: 6155
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:14 pm
2
Location: Slovakia

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#2

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A good review Bigzmey, the Antares 9x50 was the same specifications as the Stellarvue as well.
I hope the Apertura works very well for you.
Telescopes: 1 more than I need but 2 less than I want
Mounts: 5 Equatorial, 3 Az/ Alt
Diagonal: 3 mirror, 2 Amici, 1 Herschel
Eyepieces: Possibly more than 1 person requires
Image
User avatar
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 6
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm
2
Location: San Diego, CA USA

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#3

Post by Bigzmey »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:33 pm A good review Bigzmey, the Antares 9x50 was the same specifications as the Stellarvue as well.
I hope the Apertura works very well for you.
Thanks Gabby! I thought of Antares version first, but they were out of stock like many other astro products. I was going from one vendor to another looking at their out of stock finder selections until I got to High Point Scientific. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2246 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1770, S110: 77). Doubles: 1448, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 97
User avatar
John Baars
Co-Administrator
Articles: 3
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:00 am
2
Location: Schiedam, Netherlands

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#4

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your review!

The ability of switching eyepieces is a great one! It make it possible to reduce the eye-pupil, and with a serious wide-field eyepiece, to maintain an acceptable field of view for starhopping. The small eyepupil makes many DSO's like Messiers visible in the city, something a standard finderscope hardly can achieve.

I hope more observers reading this review will experience the ease of your solution of finding DSO's under a LP sky. I certainly did. It makes quite a difference! Thanks for bringing it under our attention!
Telescopes in Schiedam in frequency of use : * SW 150mm Achromat F/5, *grabngo: SW 102 Maksutov F/13,
*SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5, *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3, *Vixen 102ED F/9, on Vixen GPDX.

Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.

Binoculars in frequency of use: *AusJena 10X50 Jenoptem, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, *Celestron Skymaster 15X70,
*Kasai 2.3X40, *Swift Observation 20X80.

Rijswijk Observatory Foundation telescopes: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8 on NEQ6, * 6 inch Newton on GP, * C8
on NEQ6, * Meade 14 inch SCT on EQ8, *Lunt.

Amateur since 1970.
User avatar
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 6
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm
2
Location: San Diego, CA USA

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#5

Post by Bigzmey »

John Baars wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:21 pm Thanks for your review!

The ability of switching eyepieces is a great one! It make it possible to reduce the eye-pupil, and with a serious wide-field eyepiece, to maintain an acceptable field of view for starhopping. The small eyepupil makes many DSO's like Messiers visible in the city, something what a standard finderscope can't achieve.

I hope more observers reading this review will experience the ease of your solution of finding DSO's under a LP sky. I certainly did. It makes quite a difference! Thanks for bringing it under our attention!
Thanks John! Ability to switch /use standard 1.25" EPs is indeed the most desired option on this finder. Most common type of 30mm and 50mm RACIs have fixed EP of smaller diameter and metal body. I observe with eyeglasses and end up scratching them since you have to get quite close to see entire FOV. Using 1.25" EPs gives you proper top lens size, rubber eyeguard and as much or as little eye relief as you prefer. for most comfortable viewing. Even the supplied reticle EP is much more comfortable to use compared to other style RACIs.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2246 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1770, S110: 77). Doubles: 1448, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 97
User avatar
notFritzArgelander
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 10711
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm
2
Location: Idaho US

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#6

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Since I may have to do more future observing from LP areas this is definitely something I need to consider! Thanks,
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
User avatar
notFritzArgelander
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 10711
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm
2
Location: Idaho US

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#7

Post by notFritzArgelander »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 pm Since I may have to do more future observing from LP areas this is definitely something I need to consider! Thanks,
Well, I considered it and ordered 1. The previous plan involved upgrading to the Baader Vario 10x60 f4 of which I already have 1 that is the dedicated finder for the MK66. If I like it I can get a 2nd and still save over getting another Vario....
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
User avatar
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 6
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm
2
Location: San Diego, CA USA

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#8

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:16 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 pm Since I may have to do more future observing from LP areas this is definitely something I need to consider! Thanks,
Well, I considered it and ordered 1. The previous plan involved upgrading to the Baader Vario 10x60 f4 of which I already have 1 that is the dedicated finder for the MK66. If I like it I can get a 2nd and still save over getting another Vario....
Let us know how you like it. Apertura vs GSO/Orion RACI is no brainer. Apertura vs Vario will depend on application and personal preferences. One thing for sure, Vario as offered is not cheap, but with added mounting hardware and 1.25" EP holder it is one expensive finder. One can get 80mm ED for less.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2246 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1770, S110: 77). Doubles: 1448, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 97
User avatar
Ylem
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 3754
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 am
2
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#9

Post by Ylem »

Sounds real nice, heck to be able to swap EPs is a no brainer :)

I currently have an Orion 6x30 on the Mak, I may go for this for the C8 :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Orion 127 Mak, ST80
Celestron Celestar
8SE, C6, C90 Mak
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D
User avatar
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 6
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm
2
Location: San Diego, CA USA

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#10

Post by Bigzmey »

Ylem wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:58 pm Sounds real nice, heck to be able to swap EPs is a no brainer :)

I currently have an Orion 6x30 on the Mak, I may go for this for the C8 :)
My Stellarvue is riding on the 9.25" Edge, but for the second scope I was using Orion 6x30 RACI until last month. However, the sky quality at home has degraded to the point that I hardly see any stars in 6x30. That was the last drop. 10x50 gather 2.8x more light than 6x30, makes huge difference in star hopping.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2246 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1770, S110: 77). Doubles: 1448, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 97
User avatar
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0
Posts: 6155
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:14 pm
2
Location: Slovakia

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#11

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Ylem wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:58 pm Sounds real nice, heck to be able to swap EPs is a no brainer :)

I currently have an Orion 6x30 on the Mak, I may go for this for the C8 :)
Being able to change the eyepiece is a nice option to have.
I have even taken my Antares finder and a couple eyepieces with me while backpacking, I mount it on a monopod and it makes a nice widefield telescope. :)
Telescopes: 1 more than I need but 2 less than I want
Mounts: 5 Equatorial, 3 Az/ Alt
Diagonal: 3 mirror, 2 Amici, 1 Herschel
Eyepieces: Possibly more than 1 person requires
Image
User avatar
notFritzArgelander
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 10711
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm
2
Location: Idaho US

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#12

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:55 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:16 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 pm Since I may have to do more future observing from LP areas this is definitely something I need to consider! Thanks,
Well, I considered it and ordered 1. The previous plan involved upgrading to the Baader Vario 10x60 f4 of which I already have 1 that is the dedicated finder for the MK66. If I like it I can get a 2nd and still save over getting another Vario....
Let us know how you like it. Apertura vs GSO/Orion RACI is no brainer. Apertura vs Vario will depend on application and personal preferences. One thing for sure, Vario as offered is not cheap, but with added mounting hardware and 1.25" EP holder it is one expensive finder. One can get 80mm ED for less.
True about the cost of the Vario, but I really like it. It’s a perfect complement to the f12 MK66 and not as big a dent in the load budget. Hopefully the Apertura will arrive before the tour...
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
User avatar
kt4hx
Moderator
Articles: 4
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 12:18 am
2
Location: Virginia, USA

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#13

Post by kt4hx »

Thanks for the review Andrey. I've been looking at this finder for a couple of years now. From all I can find, it is indeed the same as the Stellarvue, coming from Kunming Optical, which is known for producing "house brand" optical equipment. The big advantage here is exactly what you mention - the cost difference of buying the Apertura all-in-one RACI or having to pay more for the Stellarvue piece by piece. The Apertura brand is an excellent value if one wishes to have an illuminated finder. The Astro-Tech equivalent at Astronomics is also higher than the Apertura because it comes bare bones and you have to buy the mount separate.

I will ask you, do you feel that the illuminated eyepiece messes with your dark adaptation at Anza? That is the most common problem cited with such devices, even at their lowest setting. I have seen it suggested to apply a little red nail polish to the the LED to dampen its brightness. While it is true that it can be difficult to see the cross-hairs in a normal RACI finder at a dark site, one could question whether illumination is needed at all. After all, I have not had any difficulty centering stars within the FOV of my standard RACI when the cross-hairs are hard to find. At home where the sky is brighter, the cross hairs are very easy to see - unfortunately. Thus far I have resisted the urge to go illuminated in order to preserve my dark adaptation and have to admit, I've had no real issues using a standard 8x50 RACI, even on the 17.5 inch. I might succumb to the urge at some point however! :)
Alan

Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob
ES AR127 f/6.5 & ED80 f/6 on Twilight-II || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian on Twilight-I
TV Ethos 100° 21mm, 13mm || ES 82° 24mm, 18mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm
Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm, 5mm || barlows
DGM NPB Filter || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow Filters || Baader HaB Filter
Primary Field Atlases: Interstellarum and Uranometria All-Sky Edition
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me...." (Blaise Pascal)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
"I have become comfortably numb." (Roger Waters)
User avatar
John Fitzgerald
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:04 am
1
Location: Arkansas

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#14

Post by John Fitzgerald »

I personally like Illuminated cross hairs. I have trouble seeing them while in my dome, if not Illuminated.
User avatar
John Fitzgerald
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:04 am
1
Location: Arkansas

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#15

Post by John Fitzgerald »

The main trouble I have had with my SV finders, is when the diagonal is rotated, the image becomes de centered by as much as two degrees.

That is extremely annoying, having to re center the field by manipulation of adjusting screws. Rotation of the diagonal is frequently necessary when using my G11 mount.

For this reason, on one of the SV finders, I swapped the objective into an identical tube that had a removable 1.25 inch diagonal, and used a standard prism that is better aligned. It's not RACI, so it gives an identically oriented field as my refractor. I can easily star hop this way. Sky Safari6 Pro allows me to flip the field to match any view.

Problem finally solved.

It seems to me, with an expensive finder like a SV, that the prism could be made square to the objective lens. Both my SV finders were equally bad in that respect.
User avatar
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 6
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm
2
Location: San Diego, CA USA

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#16

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:06 pm Thanks for the review Andrey. I've been looking at this finder for a couple of years now. From all I can find, it is indeed the same as the Stellarvue, coming from Kunming Optical, which is known for producing "house brand" optical equipment. The big advantage here is exactly what you mention - the cost difference of buying the Apertura all-in-one RACI or having to pay more for the Stellarvue piece by piece. The Apertura brand is an excellent value if one wishes to have an illuminated finder. The Astro-Tech equivalent at Astronomics is also higher than the Apertura because it comes bare bones and you have to buy the mount separate.

I will ask you, do you feel that the illuminated eyepiece messes with your dark adaptation at Anza? That is the most common problem cited with such devices, even at their lowest setting. I have seen it suggested to apply a little red nail polish to the the LED to dampen its brightness. While it is true that it can be difficult to see the cross-hairs in a normal RACI finder at a dark site, one could question whether illumination is needed at all. After all, I have not had any difficulty centering stars within the FOV of my standard RACI when the cross-hairs are hard to find. At home where the sky is brighter, the cross hairs are very easy to see - unfortunately. Thus far I have resisted the urge to go illuminated in order to preserve my dark adaptation and have to admit, I've had no real issues using a standard 8x50 RACI, even on the 17.5 inch. I might succumb to the urge at some point however! :)
Hi Alan. On both SV and Apertura you can adjust the brightness, it is very smooth so you can set crosshair to barely visible or a bit brighter. So, no it does not affect the dark adaptation. What I also like is that crosshair lines are much thinner compared to none-illuminated RACI. I find it easier to precisely center on a star or planet.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2246 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1770, S110: 77). Doubles: 1448, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 97
User avatar
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 6
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm
2
Location: San Diego, CA USA

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#17

Post by Bigzmey »

John Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:38 pm The main trouble I have had with my SV finders, is when the diagonal is rotated, the image becomes de centered by as much as two degrees.

That is extremely annoying, having to re center the field by manipulation of adjusting screws. Rotation of the diagonal is frequently necessary when using my G11 mount.

For this reason, on one of the SV finders, I swapped the objective into an identical tube that had a removable 1.25 inch diagonal, and used a standard prism that is better aligned. It's not RACI, so it gives an identically oriented field as my refractor. I can easily star hop this way. Sky Safari6 Pro allows me to flip the field to match any view.

Problem finally solved.

It seems to me, with an expensive finder like a SV, that the prism could be made square to the objective lens. Both my SV finders were equally bad in that respect.
Let me check on my finders. I do rotate diagonal occasionally, but typically when switching finder between the scopes, not on the same scope during the session.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2246 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1770, S110: 77). Doubles: 1448, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 97
User avatar
John Fitzgerald
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:04 am
1
Location: Arkansas

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#18

Post by John Fitzgerald »

To me, a diagonal being that much out of square, as my SV diagonals are, is totally and manifestly unsatisfactory.
User avatar
kt4hx
Moderator
Articles: 4
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 12:18 am
2
Location: Virginia, USA

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#19

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:40 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:06 pm Thanks for the review Andrey. I've been looking at this finder for a couple of years now. From all I can find, it is indeed the same as the Stellarvue, coming from Kunming Optical, which is known for producing "house brand" optical equipment. The big advantage here is exactly what you mention - the cost difference of buying the Apertura all-in-one RACI or having to pay more for the Stellarvue piece by piece. The Apertura brand is an excellent value if one wishes to have an illuminated finder. The Astro-Tech equivalent at Astronomics is also higher than the Apertura because it comes bare bones and you have to buy the mount separate.

I will ask you, do you feel that the illuminated eyepiece messes with your dark adaptation at Anza? That is the most common problem cited with such devices, even at their lowest setting. I have seen it suggested to apply a little red nail polish to the the LED to dampen its brightness. While it is true that it can be difficult to see the cross-hairs in a normal RACI finder at a dark site, one could question whether illumination is needed at all. After all, I have not had any difficulty centering stars within the FOV of my standard RACI when the cross-hairs are hard to find. At home where the sky is brighter, the cross hairs are very easy to see - unfortunately. Thus far I have resisted the urge to go illuminated in order to preserve my dark adaptation and have to admit, I've had no real issues using a standard 8x50 RACI, even on the 17.5 inch. I might succumb to the urge at some point however! :)
Hi Alan. On both SV and Apertura you can adjust the brightness, it is very smooth so you can set crosshair to barely visible or a bit brighter. So, no it does not affect the dark adaptation. What I also like is that crosshair lines are much thinner compared to none-illuminated RACI. I find it easier to precisely center on a star or planet.
Thanks Andrey. Good to know and in particular about the cross-hair thickness. What I wish they all would do is provide a reticle that has an open center so one can more clearly see the star rather than positioning it behind the cross at the center of the field. Apparently the ES illuminated finders do this (see below), and it seems a more logical way to allow for better centering. Of course one can get that if willing to pay more for the ES finders. :)
ES Illuminated finder.jpg
ES Illuminated finder.jpg (6.76 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Alan

Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob
ES AR127 f/6.5 & ED80 f/6 on Twilight-II || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian on Twilight-I
TV Ethos 100° 21mm, 13mm || ES 82° 24mm, 18mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm
Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm, 5mm || barlows
DGM NPB Filter || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow Filters || Baader HaB Filter
Primary Field Atlases: Interstellarum and Uranometria All-Sky Edition
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me...." (Blaise Pascal)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
"I have become comfortably numb." (Roger Waters)
User avatar
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 6
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm
2
Location: San Diego, CA USA

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura 10 x 50 Right Angle Finder Scope (RACI)

#20

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:06 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:40 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:06 pm Thanks for the review Andrey. I've been looking at this finder for a couple of years now. From all I can find, it is indeed the same as the Stellarvue, coming from Kunming Optical, which is known for producing "house brand" optical equipment. The big advantage here is exactly what you mention - the cost difference of buying the Apertura all-in-one RACI or having to pay more for the Stellarvue piece by piece. The Apertura brand is an excellent value if one wishes to have an illuminated finder. The Astro-Tech equivalent at Astronomics is also higher than the Apertura because it comes bare bones and you have to buy the mount separate.

I will ask you, do you feel that the illuminated eyepiece messes with your dark adaptation at Anza? That is the most common problem cited with such devices, even at their lowest setting. I have seen it suggested to apply a little red nail polish to the the LED to dampen its brightness. While it is true that it can be difficult to see the cross-hairs in a normal RACI finder at a dark site, one could question whether illumination is needed at all. After all, I have not had any difficulty centering stars within the FOV of my standard RACI when the cross-hairs are hard to find. At home where the sky is brighter, the cross hairs are very easy to see - unfortunately. Thus far I have resisted the urge to go illuminated in order to preserve my dark adaptation and have to admit, I've had no real issues using a standard 8x50 RACI, even on the 17.5 inch. I might succumb to the urge at some point however! :)
Hi Alan. On both SV and Apertura you can adjust the brightness, it is very smooth so you can set crosshair to barely visible or a bit brighter. So, no it does not affect the dark adaptation. What I also like is that crosshair lines are much thinner compared to none-illuminated RACI. I find it easier to precisely center on a star or planet.
Thanks Andrey. Good to know and in particular about the cross-hair thickness. What I wish they all would do is provide a reticle that has an open center so one can more clearly see the star rather than positioning it behind the cross at the center of the field. Apparently the ES illuminated finders do this (see below), and it seems a more logical way to allow for better centering. Of course one can get that if willing to pay more for the ES finders. :)

Image
I can't tell from pic if the ES RACI EP is removable and if it is 1.25". With SV and Apertura one can use 3d party 1.25" reticle EPs.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2246 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1770, S110: 77). Doubles: 1448, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 97
Post Reply

Return to “Articles and Reviews”