What's the Point of the James Webb Space Telescope?

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

What's the Point of the James Webb Space Telescope?

Post by smp »

From Space.com:
"NASA's James Webb Space Telescope is (currently) scheduled to launch in March of 2021, after years of delays and billions of dollars spent over budget. While it's easy to argue that all that time and money has been wasted, this observatory will be the premiere and undisputed champion of infrared wavelengths, giving us unparalleled access to corners of the universe currently inaccessible."

https://www.space.com/nasa-james-webb-s ... -wait.html

Will it be worth the wait and expense, or has so much money been spent that we simply cannot abandon it at this point?

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
stewe

Re: What's the Point of the James Webb Space Telescope?

Post by stewe »

In humanity's perpetual quest for knowledge, the JWST will be a huge leap forward, and the linked article gives a good summary as to why. Of course, launching a complex spacecraft into Solar orbit is always a risky operation, but provided that the scope survives the travel, deploys properly, and the mirror has the right shape (sorry, couldn't resist :) ), it will surely lead to a good number of breakthroughs in astronomy. Whether this is the right time for such a monstrous investment into this kind of knowledge, when the survival of human civilisation hangs in the balance -- well, that is a good question, and I am not sure whether the answer is an easy 'yes'. I am saying this with a PhD in astrophysics and making a living from basic research.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Let's just hope the JWST gets safely into space. My biggest fear for the project is watching the rocket blow up at/shortly after take off. It's infrared capability should allow us to see into the depths of our home galaxy. Lot of eggs in this basket.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I hope it will be a scientific and technical success despite being a failure already in terms of project management.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Okay, so the cost overruns are occurring up front here. Don't forget that Hubble, with the needed repair missions, have cost hundreds of millions of dollars more than the initial price tag. It's the old "pay me now or pay me later" fact of life. Also, once JWST goes into solar orbit it will essentially be inaccessible for any type of manned repair mission, at least in the near future. So I'm hoping they get it right the first time.

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

What’s it called, “fallacy of sunken costs” or something like that? One keeps spending on a bad project just because they’ve already spent good money on it. Which is what I might be doing with my Twilight I, but anyway...

But there’s so much waste, fraud, and stupidity in govt programs that this overrun is nothing and I say let’s build two!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Seawolfe
Moon Ambassador

Post by Seawolfe »

The POINT of the JWT is to show you just how much money and time NASA and the US Federal government can waste and still tell you how wonderful the thing will be, give you updates on some small improvement or even movement on developing or testing a boondoggle all the while preparing you for what may be the biggest disaster of space exploration if the thing fails so that even NASA can come out smelling good and move onto the next boondoggle, Artemus.
1975 - 1982 - Semper Fi
smp United States of America

Post by smp »

Here's another article from Space.com:
"James Webb Space Telescope on Track for March 2021 Launch, NASA Says"

https://www.space.com/nasa-james-webb-s ... -2020.html

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society