It looks like NASA is getting serious about finding hazardous asteroids

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

It looks like NASA is getting serious about finding hazardous asteroids

Post by smp »

From Ars Technica:

"On Monday, NASA's science chief committed to funding a space-based telescope to find the vast majority of near-Earth asteroids that may one day threaten Earth."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/09 ... asteroids/

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: It looks like NASA is getting serious about finding hazardous asteroids

Post by SkyHiker »

Nice. I thought the LSST was supposed to do that. On the Wikipedia page it claims the same goals, 60% of all NEOs. It can't hurt to have 2 systems.

At the RTMC last weekend I attended a talk about asteroid detection by occultation, as well as a talk about adaptive optics. The LSST is wide field so adaptive optics have no place there, and occultation is the only possibility of detecting asteroids. A space based telescope has an advantage there because adaptive optics are not necessary. On Earth, as a rule of thumb a 10" aperture is the limit w.r.t. resolution - anything larger without AO is just fighting air bubbles and will possibly be worse than 10".

Still, there is a lambda/D limitation that makes direct detection possible only up to that limit. Anything more accurate would have to be done by occultation analysis.

Space is the way to go though if money is no hindrance.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: It looks like NASA is getting serious about finding hazardous asteroids

Post by dcrowson »

SkyHiker,

I'm having trouble following what you're saying above. Are you talking about limits specifically with using the LSST for this or? The PanSTARRS and ATLAS surveys are pointed at the sky every clear (I guess it depends on the moon) night. They directly find asteroids down to around mag 21 or dimmer. There's a program the allows for giving groups access to the (PanSTARRS) data to find and report asteroids using Astrometrica.

I was under the impression that occultations were largely for finding shapes and you have to be at a specific location to see them.

Dan