Astronomers push for global debate on giant satellite swarms

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

Astronomers push for global debate on giant satellite swarms

Post by smp »

From Nature.com:
"Working with the United Nations, scientists hope to establish standards for satellite ‘megaconstellations’ and reduce disruption of astronomical observations."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01954-4

Unfortunately, the article early on states: "... diplomats at a United Nations forum next month might discuss whether humanity has a right to ‘dark and quiet skies’." The emphasis is mine.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Re: Astronomers push for global debate on giant satellite swarms

Post by GCoyote »

Given the potential economic benefits to the least developed parts of the world, I'd say the odds are heavily stacked against us.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Stephen. I understand your emphasis on might. And I agree with Gary, even if this discussion does happen, I think that the astronomers will come out on the short end of this meeting.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

GCoyote wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:32 am Given the potential economic benefits to the least developed parts of the world, I'd say the odds are heavily stacked against us.

Very true. But you know, it is not like amateur astronomers are really for, IMO, dark skies for humanity. If they were then all dark sites should be turned into tourist locations as well with all the facilities needed for an active tourist site. Instead I think most amateur astronomers really want the dark skies for their own very small population of users. I do not feel it would be ethically right to impede the progress of peoples in less developed nations simply for pure science pursuits that can really be accomplished for the most part other approaches like using space-based telescopes, or for the pursuit of a hobby by peoples from the more developed nations. The article does bring up the cultural ideals of some of the indigenous peoples around the world, but realistically I think that is a stretch saying that the addition of more moving stars in the night sky would really affect them. I think that argument is contrived.

So I am not against the anticipated outcome of this meeting as I feel that the less developed nations have the right to having internet access (and other future technologies using space) for their citizens -- and given their GDPs the only practical way of doing that is with these new space-based infrastructures for communications. So would be wrong to hold back the progress of the less developed nations (unless of course all of the developed nations agree to pay for the wired infrastructure to their nations - which will never happen). I think the best outcome that could come from this meeting would be the agreement that future satellites need to have all their reflective surfaces suppressed (as much as feasible given that some surfaces may require high reflectivity) and that they be required to de-orbit at the end of their anticipated life-cycle.

For me as a visual observer it does not bother me at all when a satellite transits my FOV when observing a celestial object. I do not consider it a bother in any way. Actually just the opposite as I find it adds to the view seeing a dynamic object in space for a few seconds between me and the celestial target. For imagers of course I can sympathize with the heartache. However, with the sophistication of software these days that can remove those streaks in post processing, it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the software will get more capable when the issue becomes more prevalent and will essentially be solved. As for professional astronomy, since the benefits to humanity of pure science in cosmology is nil to none, I have no problem with them having to spend more money and move their observational needs to new space-based or future lunar-based platforms.

I know I am probably in the very small minority of amateur astronomers that might think this way, but it is what it is :twocents:
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed