:D

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: U.S. Government Cannot Explain 143 UFO Reports

Post by sdbodin »

Only if they could make them even fuzzier, they could sell them to the Enquirer. Amazing what junk photos our tax dollars pay for.

Show me the beef,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

sdbodin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:03 am Only if they could make them even fuzzier, they could sell them to the Enquirer. Amazing what junk photos our tax dollars pay for.

Show me the beef,
Steve
Yeah, all these UFO images are fuzzy.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

sdbodin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:03 am Only if they could make them even fuzzier, they could sell them to the Enquirer. Amazing what junk photos our tax dollars pay for.

Show me the beef,
Steve
Obviously most people here on TSS have better imaging equipment :lol:
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Whatever they are, they are quite interesting. In the 2004 encounter of these UAPs with the Nimitz Carrier Group off the coast of California, they were detected by the carrier group in low Earth orbit, then descending to 80,000 ft, and finally to sea level. There were approx 100 in low Earth orbit and the descended in groups of 10-20. Their performance characteristics were simply amazing. The rapid rate of their descent from low Earth orbit alone rendered a calculation that their speed was approx 46,000 mph for the descent. And they were not small either, but approx the same size as the f-18's that were dispatched to them (approx 50 feet in length).

This is an interesting technical analysis that was published based on the data from the encounter in 2004. Whatever they are, some serious technology going on! I think the latest press release from the DoD says it all when they stated that they really do not need more data on the objects but need the obvious more advanced science that is at play since we are not seeing the expected environmental consequences that our current science says should happen when objects perform like these (e.g., even if the object was only 1/30th the mass of an F-18 it showed flight characteristics that would have generated in excess of 5,000 g's, and at the speeds they flew in the atmosphere they should have burned up from the air friction).

https://www.mdpi.com/2504-3900/33/1/26/pdf
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

When DoD acknowledged that these videos were "real" that was only a confirmation that did originate from the sensors depicted and they appear not to have been altered.

For the short take down, try this https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/navy-vide ... not-aliens

If you really want your Close Encounters shrunk down to size, spend some time here https://www.metabunk.org/home/
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
omeek United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

I am all for UFO's but I'm not sure when 'Unidentified" meant "Aliens". Still waiting for AFO's. ;)
-Oliver
Telescopes: Orion XT8i, Zhumell Z12
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Bino's: 12x42, 12x60
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I have a rather naive opinion of reported UFO sightings.

If they are indeed 'alien' craft visiting our planet, either 'manned' or 'unmanned' to check us out, I would expect them to at least land to get samples of the earth and for someone to see that happening. We have done that on the Moon and currently on Mars. Just seems a natural thing to do if you visit a strange planet.
Yet there have been no such sightings.

UFO sightings have been going on for decades now, which only seem to be reported as 'fly-bys' and no landings.

I am somewhat sceptical that these are 'alien' visitations, but I will keep an open mind :roll:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Groovy2
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Groovy2 »

1968 I saw 2 craft do manevers that were not possible by earth made craft
then or now --

I feel real lucky to have seen these at young age
Opened my mind to what is possible

Im a pretty skeptical guy and need proof to believe things -
I am Very happy I got my proof long ago -

made a MUFON report on these UFO s 40 years later -

1990s I went to a MUFON meeting in Austin TX -
MUFON headquarters was in Austin -

was around 30 people at meeting -

there was one man who kept interrupting meeting - Constantly -
would not stop -

Im pretty sure this man was a plant sent in to disrupt meeting -
Years latter I saw interview with a man whose job it was to spread disinformation
for the Airforce about UFOs -

man at meeting Looked Very much like man in interview but with a hat on -
have watched several interviews with this man - well known now -

Large corporations / Governments use this tactic ALL the time -
its simple - Easy and effective way to disrupt organizations -
and hard to prove -Nothing happens in way of penalty

Here is a example -
For years energy companies spread rumor that Birds were being
killed by wind turbines - by the millions -
I have seen Zero evidence of this -

Birds are smart - they fly threw trees constantly -
U dont see piles of dead birds around trees -

I have seen Zero pictures of dead birds around wind turbines -
it would be Easy to get pictures if true -

another example -

Gluecosimine Sulfate is a Very Cheap Effective supplement that helps rebuild
cartilage in in body joints - works Great -

Pharmaceutical companies / medical industry - Doctors
started spreading disinformation saying it causes Memory Loss -

My father who had been taking for a few years said he read
the Memory Loss info and was worried - he was 90 yrs old -
I think he read in AARP but Im not sure -

Most of the people that take Gluecosimine Sulfate are older -
start losing memory Naturally with age -

Even tho he knew that Gluecosimine Sulfate helped him Hugely
he considered stopping taking it -

That is the Power of DisInformation
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Just a few years ago, I saw two points of lights about 1.5° apart.
One was trailing the other. They looked like satellites or military craft.
Then the leading one made a sharp turn, almost @ 90°, the trailing one looped around and continued following.

Haven't a clue what that was.

I will always keep an open mind to things, at the same time it's closed enough to keep out conspiracy theories.
Last edited by Ylem on Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

It's clear why most UFO images are too blurred to make anything out.
It's so that we can't see the attached strings and wires.....
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

goldstar wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:38 pm It's clear why most UFO images are too blurred to make anything out.
It's so that we can't see the attached strings and wires.....

Very true...but that is all the old stuff from decades gone by or the anecdotal stuff from unexpected observers or pranksters, so best not to mix that stuff with the current dataset as the old stuff is really irrelevant. This is about the phenomena identified under the AATIP program which is ongoing. So these are military identified phenomena. They are also using the new acronym of UAP instead of UFO to try to circumvent the gravitation towards aliens. For this particular class of sightings of UAP during military operations where there is a good amount of sensor data on them we have a more credible class of encounters since they are not simply visual and anecdotal. But why many want to jump to the alien conclusion is interesting, but also unwarranted and actually dangerous as any such thought would really bias the investigation process and potentially result in getting side-tracked by the bias and missing valuable leads that a more objective perspective would have suggested. Need to just stick to the facts at hand and jump to no conclusions. They are just unknowns from the US military perspective, both in source and technology. What the focus is at the moment is what could possibly be the science behind the performance characteristics being seen? Nothing that fits into the conventional that is for sure. As one of the reports pointed out, as for the source, it will be difficult to impossible to tell even if we had the craft in our possession would be impossible to tell the source. Seeing unknown technology does not mean alien, no matter how advanced it seems to be. So for me they are not alien by any stretch, but simply unknowns...and disturbing ones given their proximity to military operations. Would be helpful to shoot one down to get some real physical investigation. Unfortunately their performance characteristics far exceed any of the capabilities of our weaponry. I'm sure though that when AATIP finally locates the source, whether foreign national or otherwise, that will never reach the public's ears and probably stay at the level of classified briefings to Congress.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Some good replies.

Always remember what the "U" stands for - Unidentified

Prior to roughly a century ago such sightings were attributed to religious experiences, omens from the spirit world, and assorted cryptids (dragons, etc.)
The change over to "alien spacecraft" coincides neatly with each local populations' exposure to technology, e.g. 'aircraft often crash so Roswell must be the crash of an alien spacecraft.' (For a fantastic example, consider the Cargo Cults of certain Pacific island populations.) Move forward to today and the entire entertainment genre of "ancient aliens" is nothing but back-fitting a modern cultural narrative onto the records of ancient peoples who are not longer around to contradict it.

One way to evaluate the concept of alien visitation is to look at the transformation of our own cultures from the pre-industrial period to contemporary technological society.

The Bayeux Tapestry is 70 meters (230 ft) long and 50 centimeters (20 in) tall and made of enough material to clothe a village. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Ta ... tinuations
This is the same information free for you to download - https://archive.org/download/bayeux-tap ... pestry.jpg
It is comprised of 121,600 bytes of data (https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-information-weigh)

Let that sink in a second. The change in our technology from the 12th Century to the 21st cannot be reasonably interpreted as some percentage X over the time period. By any metric it is many orders of magnitude. Not just quantitatively but qualitatively different. This is a critical part of the story that explains why none (or at least very few) of the people reading this are not peasant farmers.

Next let's look at current technology. https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/mission/technology/ While sending humans to Mars excites much of popular culture, the actual work of exploration is being done, as we speak, by chunks of silicon. The actual work at the end of hundreds of tons of hardware, propellants, and clever mechanisms is being done by a handful of computer chips that would fit in your pocket.

At the same time our machines are exploring our cosmic back yard, our instruments are examining the cosmos as a whole without leaving the comforts of Earth - https://www.eso.org/public/teles-instr/ ... atory/vlt/

Continuing the exercise, let's take a peek at the next century.
This is going to happen sooner rather than later - https://lisa.nasa.gov/
A further example would take us to roughly one thousand years after the Bayeux Tapestry. This may not happen but it's a clear indication of the direction our technology is taking us - https://g.co/kgs/ZKboMZ

For the last step, take the technology envisioned in the Breakthrough Initiatives and multiply it by the change in human capability between the Bayeux Tapestry and the current JPEG. That's a rough approximation of the difference between what we read about UFOs and what an actual alien civilization is almost certainly capable of.

I'll wrap up my comments with a final thought; The number one cause of aircraft accidents is pilot error.

Enjoy
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

This is not related, much, if at all.

A few weeks ago I was in the yard, a nice clear, sunny day.

I spotted a jumbo jet flying overhead. Very obviously a jet - body, wings engines. Based on those details and how clearly I could see it, I assume it was probably a few thousand feet up, on approach to one of the airports in NYC - a 4 hour or so drive from here, but not so far "as the crow flies"

I opened up flightaware to check it out. The jet was about 5 miles up still. Blew my mind a bit that estimations are so unreliable. I knew it would be, but it was way off.

That's my contribution.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

My very first sighting of a UAP was in the early 60's. In those days they were all UFO's.
I had just acquired my first refractor, a 2" Japanese job. I don't recall the make. I was 15 then.
I saw many neighbors were excited by a slowly moving bright white object in the twilight sky, all claiming "a flying saucer"!
I trained my little scope on it and quickly ID'd it as a weather balloon, the gores of the balloon and payload very obvious.
I went around offering views through my scope and was dumfounded that no one was even willing to look !
I realized that for them " NOT seeing is believing" .
He's just a dumb kid. What does he know?
Taught me an early lesson in belief overruling the evidence of our senses.
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

KingNothing13 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:26 pm This is not related, much, if at all.

A few weeks ago I was in the yard, a nice clear, sunny day.

I spotted a jumbo jet flying overhead. Very obviously a jet - body, wings engines. Based on those details and how clearly I could see it, I assume it was probably a few thousand feet up, on approach to one of the airports in NYC - a 4 hour or so drive from here, but not so far "as the crow flies"

I opened up flightaware to check it out. The jet was about 5 miles up still. Blew my mind a bit that estimations are so unreliable. I knew it would be, but it was way off.

That's my contribution.
I can relate to that Brett.

I am quite hopeless at judging distances. Just like your experience with the plane, objects to me are either further away or nearer than I first thought :roll:

I just think some people are better at judging distances than others.

I find this to be the case when I use the SatNav in the car. The voice will say "turn left in 150 yards" then I have almost missed my turn because I thought it was further than it actually was.

So you are definitely not alone Brett :lol:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:19 am UFO sightings have been going on for decades now, which only seem to be reported as 'fly-bys' and no landings.
Broad Haven School 1977 - 62 kids witness landing.
Rendelsham Forest / Bentwaters 1980 - USAF security personnel approach and touch a strange "craft".

I have a book of more MOD declassified reports (if I can find it). If nothing else, it is interesting reading.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Groovy2
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Groovy2 »

I have seen several reports on Broad Heaven school -
the children were separated and questioned right away -
they described the same thing and drew pictures of it -
its hard to get 62 children to describe Same thing-

about a month ago saw interview with several of the now adults witness -
They said it was not a joke and were very serious -