20 trailblazing women in astronomy and astrophysics

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

20 trailblazing women in astronomy and astrophysics

Post by smp »

From Space.com:
"From discovering planets to following comets, women all over the world play a crucial role in astronomy. While it's hard to pick the definitive list of women who have contributed to our understanding of the cosmos, these 20 women (mostly from modern times) will give you a sense of some of the scientific knowledge they contribute."

https://www.space.com/trailblazing-wome ... trophysics

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 20 trailblazing women in astronomy and astrophysics

Post by DeanD »

Thanks for the link. Some amazing women on that list!

As it does look a bit US-centric though, I thought I would add an Australian: :)
Professor Lisa Kewley: who is currently the Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for All Sky Astrophysics in 3 Dimensions (ASTRO 3D), based at the Australian National University. In her words, this is involving "the measurement of the power spectrum at the Epoch of Reioniza􏰀tion with the Murchison Widefield Array, large atomic hydrogen surveys with the Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder, the ongoing Australian opti􏰀cal integral field surveys of 10^5 galaxies, a large galaxy evolution􏰀 program combining HST, Keck, and ESO spectroscopy of galaxies from z=6 to z=0.5, and a major Australian Galac􏰀tic Archaeology program to track the chemical history and accretion history of our Milky Way through the GAIA satellite and the HERMES instrument on the Anglo Australian Telescope." Basically a 3D mapping of the universe, covering "life, the universe and everything" ;)
She is also working hard (and largely successfully) at addressing the gender imbalance in science in general through pro-active post-graduate recruitment schemes and gender-friendly workplaces.

We at the Astro. Society of South Australia were privileged to have her speak at our General Meeting earlier this month. (A "COVID-safe" real, live meeting with real, live people!!!)

- Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 20 trailblazing women in astronomy and astrophysics

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Wonderful list. It was "Stars in the Making" by Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin that got me past the pretty lights and fascinated to understand how they shone.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5