mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Nova Cass 2021

Post by mikemarotta »

Jeremy Shears <bunburyobservatory@hotmail.com> Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 6:13 AM
Reply-To: Jeremy Shears <bunburyobservatory@hotmail.com>
To: "baa-alerts@britastro.simplelists.com" <baa-alerts@britastro.simplelists.com>
I would like to alert members to a bright (8th mag) nova in Cassiopeia discovered yesterday (March 18). It is a binocular object and well worth a look if you get clear skies. Here’s the story.

Yuji Nakamura (Kameyama, Mie, Japan) reported the discovery of a possible nova, PNV J23244760+6111140, on March 18.4236.

Tonny Vanmunster confirmed the transient at March 18.306 UT, V -band magnitude 8.95 +/- 0.03 (CBA Extremadura Observatory using a 0.40-m f/5.1 telescope and SX-46 CCD camera)

The Astronomers Telegram 14471 reports spectroscopic classification of the object as a classical nova (Hiroyuki Maehara (National Astronomical Observatory of Japan), Kenta Taguchi (Kyoto University), Yusuke Tampo (Kyoto University), Naoto Kojiguchi (Kyoto University), Keisuke Isogai (Kyoto University).

Nova Cas 2021 is located at RA 23 24 47.73 Dec +61 11 14.8 (J2000.0).

This is a bright nova (latest observations I’ve seen on the morning of March have it at 8th mag) and further observations are encouraged. The field is circumpolar from UK and it should be an easy binocular object. Charts and sequences are available from the AAVSO Variable Star Plotter: https://app.aavso.org/vsp/chart/?east=r ... type=chart
Note that you can scale and orientate the chert to your preference)

Follow the unfolding story of this nova on the BAA Forum: https://www.britastro.org/node/25814

Please submit your observations to the BAA Variable Star Section. It would be great to see your images on BAA Member Albums.

Jeremy Shears
Director, BAA Variable Star Section

[PS Just to note: I joined the British Astronomical Association because of this post in our Beginners Forum
https://www.theskysearchers.com/viewtop ... =4&t=14787
Greenman thanked KathyNS for recommending.]
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Nova Cass 2021

Post by messier 111 »

thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Nova Cass 2021

Post by mikemarotta »

Thanks to the Society for Popular Astronomy, you can find good directions for locating this 8th magnitude target here:
https://www.popastro.com/main_spa1/blog ... assiopeia/
It is a series of star maps that narrows down to the target.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial