California wildfires threaten historic Lick Observatory

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

California wildfires threaten historic Lick Observatory

Post by seigell »

As several of the Coastal Ranges in California are being consumed (or under threat) by Wildfires, it is only a matter of time before one of the several Historic Observatories be threatened.

https://www.space.com/california-wildfi ... atory.html

Earlier this year, the Steward Observatory in the Catalina Mtns north of Tucson faced threat by the 120K Acre Bighorn Fire. No Facilities were lost on the Mt Lemmon Mountaintop - neither at the Observatory Complex nor the Ski Resort nor the small vacation hamlet of Summerhaven nestled just below them. The Catalina Station Observatory on the side peak Mt Bigalow were also spared (just barely). These same facilities were similarly barely spared by a Wildfire in 2003. The Steward Observatory is relatively famous amongst AP Imagers as home to Adam Block (he of more APODs than amyone but Hubble) and the Schulman 32in RC and the Arizona SkyCenter with it's onsite overnight AP Imaging programs. These programs are sadly probably a permanent thing of the past - victims of COVID-19 and the Bighorn Fire - as the Schulman Scope is now center of a Remote Imaging Rental system. (Over the years, I twice paid for reservations to the SkyCenter - and was aced-out by storms both times).

Other Observatories in the Southwest USA have also been threatened over time by the perennial Wildfire Seasons - including Mt Wilson in the San Gabriel Mtns North of Los Angeles and Mt Graham Observatory in Eastern Arizona. Mt Wilson is where Edwin Hubble used the 100in Hooker Scope to prove that other Galaxies existed as objects outside our MilkyWay. Mt Graham is home to the 10m Submillimeter Scope, the 8m Large Binocular Telescope, and the Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope (where Brother Guy Consolmagno of "Turn Left at Orion" is the Vatican Observatories Director).
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: California wildfires threaten historic Lick Observatory

Post by helicon »

As you say fires almost consumed Lick Observatory in the mountains above San Jose this past week. It certainly is a scary time. Two more days of dry lightning storms in the Bay Area will undoubtedly ignite more fires. Where I live will likely be evacuated starting tomorrow and going through Tuesday morning. I'll be staying near the coast in a hotel for a couple of days. Just hope my house/neighborhood is spared.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

The Lick itself was never much at risk since it sits in a fair amount of open space. The other observatories and apartments had some trees nearby, they survived, don't know how hard that was to defend. The Palomar observatory also has plenty of open space around it. Mt Wilson may have more brush around it, they should clear that a bit. Generally these observatories sit on mountain tops with some open space around it for access so I'm hopeful that it's not too hard to defend generally.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:25 pm The Lick itself was never much at risk since it sits in a fair amount of open space. The Palomar observatory also has plenty of open space around it.
Perhaps you are thinking of images more appropriate for the newer generations of world-class Observatories on Mauna Kea and the Central Andes - where they are 1000's ft above the vegetation. You should look at the video and photos in the links that I posted. All of these North American Observatories are in "brushy if not forested" environments.
None of the Observatories are sited within stands of pine trees, but that sort of "forest" is not required to present a real threat in a wildfire. Rather the local environments of Live Oak and Pinion Pine and other hardy low-moisture tree and brush varieties native to the sort of semi-arid climates best suited for Clear Skies are amongst the toughest wildfire fuels to address as these types are easier to ignite and burn faster.
None of the Observatories are sited in clear-cuts. Such land treatment wouldn't do well for a number of reasons: trees reduce the ground-level winds that create local distortion currents and carry extra dust; foliage reduces the daytime heating which would radiate heat to cause additional local currents; and trees break up the profile of the Observatories that would otherwise call further attention to them.
Ridgeline and Mountaintop locations are especially difficult for Wildfire Fighting. Wildfires naturally burn in upslope directions, with narrow draws acting as natural chimneys. Limited road access, usually traversing the very areas in the path of the wildfire, expose any firefighting personnel to significant risk. Water resources are usually quite limited or non-existent on-site, and need to be trucked up steep winding roads. Air tankers and water-drop helicopters have difficulties operating with precision near mountaintops and ridgelines due to extra turbulence.

If anything, it is a testament to the efforts of firefighters (and a good part LUCK) that we haven't lost any of our historic or operational Observatories in either the current Wildfire Season or the century-plus of their storied histories.
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

And now, Mt. Wilson:
wilson.jpg
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:27 pm And now, Mt. Wilson:

A very tough situation and it sounds like they are preparing to the fullest extent possible...thanks for Sam Hale and other folks involved for preserving and protecting this storied astronomical site.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Oh crap. :(

Stay Safe everyone. :(
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt