Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Comet NEOWISE and Stellarium online

Post by Thefatkitty »

Like many of you, I was elated when I heard that C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) had survived its close encounter with the Sun. The next day, I saw a picture on Spaceweather.com that someone had taken of it in the early morning hours. The pictures today are quite good...

I "plugged" the comet into Stellarium so I could follow it and pick a time to best view the icy ball. However, a lot of times I just use the online version at https://stellarium-web.org/.
Unfortunately, it hasn't shown the position of the comet so far...

But it's there today! I had taken a look last night for this morning and didn't see the comet listed. Nor did I see the comet from here; too many clouds. Tomorrow is looking better, so without thinking I opened the web version, forwarded to tomorrow morning, and there it was. If you highlight it, though, no information on it is given. I'm sure that will change in the coming days.

As a side note, the Stellarium PC program shows the comet being at Mag 8.68. Judging by the photos I've seen, I have a hard time believing that!

If I can get my sorry carcass out of bed and be outside facing east tomorrow for 4:32AM, I should be able to see the comet, Venus near Aldebaran, the Pleiades above all that, and the ISS will occult the star Elnath.
Seems my forecast is cooperating so far...

Anyways, just an FYI. Good luck to everyone in seeing this comet!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Intrepid Canada
Earth Ambassador

Re: Comet NEOWISE and Stellarium online

Post by Intrepid »

Not knocking Stellarium but I found Cartes du Ciel - Skycharts to be very reliable when tracking C/2019 Y4 Atlas because you can update the comet database immediately before use (Update/Comet elements).
Intrepid.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I thaught you had problem with installing comets in stellerium , but looks like you got it working? .

i'll do a little tutorial for anyone who needs it . give me a sec.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

it shows me mag 10 in about 20 days time, it looks like it might be visable in the southern hemispher just after sun set for a little bit.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

SkySafari also has it as Mag 8.6.

I wonder if they use the same source.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

SirTalllPaul
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SirTalllPaul »

I'm not sure about the mag but it's been in the desktop Stellarium and mobile app for a few days.
:telescopewink: :Astronomer1:

Telescope newbie.
Skywacther 8"
Up is down and down is up. I never have inverted controls on in games, damn you telescope.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188431606@N04/